The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

_____: the _____ game

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester
_____: the _____ game

The winning entries have been announced! https://greaterthangames.com/content/the-game-winners-0#comments

These sound great, I'm looking forward to hearing more! The theme of "Set Collecting: The Set Collecting Game" made me laugh.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

The theme of "Set Collecting: The Set Collecting Game" made me laugh.

Yeah, I really love that one. Our friend, Carl, proposed it. He wasn't as happy about the game design, though. He's actually more excited about pursuing his Coop: The Coop Game, where everyone plays chickens trying to cooperatively escape the farm... (Yeah, it's Chicken Run in game form! laugh)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I had a Set Finding game idea with a similar theme that I could never really find mechanics that I liked for.  All of these sound great, though!

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

ViolentSilence

The ones about engine building, matchmaking and drafting sound like they don't need the pun name aspect, they'd almost be better off without it (they sound more interesting than funny) - are there any plans to develop some of the titles for Dice Hate Me? I'd definitely be tempted to grab the engine one with Traitor Mechanic!

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

Dice Hate Me are definitely looking at the runners-up!

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I hope they are checking that they are the runner ups and not actually the winners.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

ViolentSilence

Cool! Can't wait to see if any are picked up

ViolentSilence

Pydro wrote:

I hope they are checking that they are the runner ups and not actually the winners.

Reading the themes/descriptions, although they might be better games, I think they sound like the right ones to win the contest (if that makes sense). Trick Taking (in my head) sounds like one that will be a fun little game for a month or so (with the puns aplenty on the cards), and then maybe be brought on occasions. The drafting game to make a building on the other hand sounds like a really solid title, but not one that is funny enough for April fools day.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sorry, meant to be a joke about other contests that were announced incorrectly.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

ViolentSilence

Ah, I wasn't aware of that happening! The only other contest I'd seen the results for was the Dexterity Design challenge (and I still want Blackhawk picked up for the Fabled nexus imprint...)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wasn't on here, but the big fiasco with Steve Harvey.

ViolentSilence

Pydro wrote:

Wasn't on here, but the big fiasco with Steve Harvey.

I had completely forgotten about that! Yeah, that was not a great moment in his career, although to be fair, I vaguely recall people saying the award winners card was layed out in a less than clear fashion