The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Text help

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ThatGamer709
Text help

What does the text, "the first time..." mean? I didn't really understand it before the expansion but with the Ennead based around that text I thought I should learn. Does that mean the effect of the text only gets played once and then is done because that was the first time?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

In the contexts in which you see that text the most, it means this:

Each turn (meaning, the villain turn, the environment turn, or each one of the hero turns), the first time something happens, do what the card says to do.  If it happens again during the same turn, don't trigger it again, but if it happens again on a following turn, you should trigger it.

For example, "the first time this card takes damage each turn, do XYZ" means that if Haka plays a one-shot that damages the card, XYZ will happen.  But if Haka then activates a power on that same turn that also does damage, XYZ is not triggered.  However, when it's the next hero's turn, you'll be checking for the first time the card takes damage again.

A round is a full trip around the table (villain, all heroes, environment).  A turn is each part of that.

Hope that makes sense.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

flamethrower49
Playtester

That text happens the first time each turn the relevant event occurs.  It would happen every turn if it were triggered every turn, but only the first time.

Does that answer your question?

ThatGamer709

Oh yes that makes so much more sense now. Thanks alot for the help. 

ThatGamer709

Also are the cards under The Shrine of the Ennead considered in play?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Nope.  Until they come out, they should be ignored completely.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm