The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Table for One Episode 31 – Interview with Christopher Badell (ft. Sentinels of the Multiverse)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Table for One Episode 31 – Interview with Christopher Badell (ft. Sentinels of the Multiverse)

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Anything interesting in the interview?

morph147

Foote wrote:

Anything interesting in the interview?

Honestly nothing new was said, It was an interesting podcast to listen to though because of the whole solo game aspect and I will have to check out more with since I end up playing solo a lot. Only thing I think that was of substance is that Sentinels RPG will not be put on Kickstarter until after OblivAeon ships period. Also for a solo game podcast I am kinda disappointed Christopher forgot to talk about Bottom of the 9th and its solo mode.

Quick Summary without covering every single detail for those that do want to listen to it:

about first couple minutes covered something that has to do with the podcast

up until about minute 13 mark is talking about GTG creation and SoTM and it ending.

a couple minutes is giving a shout out to Matthew Bishop and the Cauldron as well as creating custom varients.

Christopher talking about being a game design type questions for another few minutes.

Sentinels of Earth Prime is discussed for a couple minutes and ways they could translate SoTM engine to other type of settings.

Spent the rest of the time talking about the solo games coming out this summer: Fate of the Elder Gods and Spirit Island. ( I want these so bad I am just trying to figure out how to justify it to the wife)

Christopher then ended with Sentinal Tactics and Sentinels RPG, New Bedford and Laser Lanes with the name drops but nothing of substance.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I found the discussion around criticisms people make of Sentinels of the Multiverse interesting (fiddliness, randomness). Probably not surprising to people here, but a nice explanation of why Sentinels is the way it is.

And an engaging interview overall.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Nothing new indeed, but it was nice getting to hear Christopher talk about both the history of GTG and all those games in one place. I mean, usually, games discussion is spread out across multiple threads, y'know? :)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I would argue that there was new "revealations", that of how the game is supposed to play. That the game is not neccessarily designed to be balanced* everytime you play it, but that it's designed to convey a certain experience, I'm not sure I've ever heard that explicitly stated before.

*Balanced is the wrong word but I can't think of a better one.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I don't think in any past interviews anyone has asked Christopher how he feels about the complaints of game being fiddly and the variance some villains can have in difficulty based on what gets played.  His response was interesting and to be honest is how I'd say is the best method for making your own game.  Figure out what you want for the experience first and not make something that you think people might like.

An explanation on why Christopher isn't the storyteller for SoEP as well was new as I don't believe it's been directly stated but one I'd say is expected answer.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Matchstickman wrote:

I would argue that there was new "revealations", that of how the game is supposed to play. That the game is not neccessarily designed to be balanced* everytime you play it, but that it's designed to convey a certain experience, I'm not sure I've ever heard that explicitly stated before. *Balanced is the wrong word but I can't think of a better one.

I think the word you're looking for is "predictable"? <:B

Which is honestly a good thing. I mean, you can expect Ambuscade or Baron Blade or the Mobile Defense Platform to be easy fights, but then you end up with Charged Attacks, the Cloaking Device and a team with no ongoing destruction. Or all four Hasten Dooms into Consider the Price of Victory. Or freaking Akash'Bhuta blows up the Propulsion Systems because she's a jerk. >:B And those losses are the ones that really keep you coming back!