The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Surprised by Gloomweaver

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Surprised by Gloomweaver

Surprisingly close game against Gloomweaver. He not only flipped, but my heroes were in single digits by the time I won.

Argent Adept and O-X both got set up pretty quickly, actually, but I faced an onslaught of discarding that left me struggling to keep up with the Cultists. Mr. Fixer, who has really shined for me lately, just couldn't get much damage output going and Chronoranger, although helping, just couldn't get to either of his two best bounties: By Any Means and Ultimate Target.

With AA and O-X healing and O-X tanking via Ablative Coating, I could essentially ignore the Zombies and chip away at the Cultists and Pins while healing whatever damage they did, even after Gloomweaver broke through, but I missed something really important: You can't win on Gloomweaver's side by destroying all three relics!

Megalopolis played Close Quarters Combat right before a Vast Following played the relic that boosts Zombies combined with a bunch of Cultists. My heroes took a ton of damage and O-X lost all eight of his components.

Things looked grim. Argent Adept got two Crimson Pins on him and could no longer keep up with the damage he was taking. Luckily, Chronoranger and Mr. Fixer started stepping up at this point. Jim already had his hat and got out both of his best damage-dealing bounties. Mr. Fixer got Dual Crowbars and Grease Monkey Fist. Argent Adept got out Syncopated Onslaught. The damage race was on!

The turning point came when O-X wiped the field with a Defensive Blast, dropping two pins, a relic, a cultist, and five zombies while doing a ton to GloomWeaver, too. 

Came relatively close to decking Megalopolis: Won in the 12th round. That's about twice as long as the average game.

Admittedly, I had some poor strategy in there -- focusing on the wrong targets, not being careful to keep three relics from getting into play, dumping damage into the relics instead of Gloomweaver -- but it was still a pretty tough draw with all those relics coming out early.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Gloomy can be rather rough if he gets all of his relics rather early whether he flips or not once that occurs.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

He's also rough if he draws Strength of the Grave on the first turn -- taking 8 damage to everyone first round (if you're playing with 5) is rough, and can stay rough if you don't have Ongoing destruction.