The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Subtle homages

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craig
Craig's picture
Admin
Subtle homages

Kokytic ore powering Sulph-Orc ships. Related to Cocytos, one of the rivers of Hades?

Nixian race. Related to the drowning water spirits (Nixies)?

Zairichi, Neo-Elf assassin. Related to a Zoroastrian holy woman?

Boroghul, the Ragged. Related to Genghis Khan's adopted brother?

Khorijin, the other Sulph-Orc. Also has a Mongolian name.

Sulph-Orcs, in general, seem to have a very Mongolian feel, down to the "Tydanic Horde."

Euphrosyne, de facto leader of the Conclave of Niphon. Shares a name with one of the Three Graces, specifically Joy. Also, with a quick use of Google, Niphon is also the name of a Greek Orthodox saint.

Uxshenti, another Neo-Elf. Another Zoroastrian holy woman.

Vigilance, Favia's ship. No mythology or true culture here. Just looks like the barrel and slide of a Desert Eagle.

Vognild Prime? Yeah, I know the background there. :-)

Alright. What did I miss?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Dwarf/Norse connection. Not my area of expertise, though.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Katsue
Katsue's picture

imprimis5 wrote:

Zairichi, Neo-Elf assassin. Related to a Zoroastrian holy woman?

Man, that's very obscure. I would have thought it was a reference to Zatoichi.

Basileios was, I believe, the title of the Byzantine Emperor.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Katsue wrote:

Basileios was, I believe, the title of the Byzantine Emperor.

Correct, sir.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I give imprimis5 5 points :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Oh! Points! I wonder what, specifically, earned them...

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

So this is whos line is it anyway now? 

Next up, we will have Wayne Brady and Basileious sing a duet!

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

In the previous forum software, some people were given Sentinel Points when they correctly and helpfully answered a question as well as when finding corrections to playtesting rules as well as finding grammar and spelling issues. arenson9 had the most points before the new forum software was installed. One time I pointed out so many mistakes in a single post that I was instead rewarded with a shiny star.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

It was pretty awesome.  Apparently people got a little too competitive with it when it was meant to be something fun, so that was one of the reasons it got pulled.  It could also have something to do with the new forum software, however.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Also the fact they came out with real Sentinels Points (the "cash" they give out at conventions, etc.). wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Michael Vognild
Michael Vognild's picture

I had never considered the Vigilance looking like a handgun, though it DOES have a cannon hidden in the cargo vessel.

Hey, the game's been printed already, and the Linked Cargo Container is on the back of the box art, so it isn't exactly a secret, anymore...

The thought behind the Vigilance ( as *I* remember it-- it's been over a year since it was concepted, and it was the first design approved) is that it's a sort of freighter that has a 'standard' sci-fi cargo container half-hidden on the front of the ship.  Essentially, the ship ends just ahead of the dome on the top.  The front 1/3 is like a sort of space tractor-trailer.

I was asked to make the cargo container 'break apart, and have a GIANT gun hidden inside!'  Well, I thought, 'No savvy space-pirate is going to pooch the cargo JUST to surprize an enemy by unveiling its Wave-Motion Gun analogue!'  I made the barrel smaller, and integrated the partitions so that the gun rests atop the cargo container-- cargo can be accessed through the HUGE bay doors on the sides through the cowling, or the entire container can be deposited/displaced by swinging all four doors out.  

Vognild Prime, sometimes Space-Ship Manufacturer