The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Strange New Post Message

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Strange New Post Message

Anyone else getting a strange message for a new post? Several times today, the thread comes up in black, without the blue link. Also, instead of saying new post, it says that the thread moved.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I have seen nothing different from usual. Although I have no idea what you mean by "without the blue link".

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Deleted example, because it kept going to this post.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

See, top one is normal (although the format is messed up). The second one I have been seeing a lot today.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I have not seen that before. Where are you seeing this?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New and Updated Topics.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Ah. I never go there. I just go from the main page.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Nope, but every time I make a new post it seems to contain a train pun for some reason. No idea why.

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

I'm seeing the same thing from New & Unread (which is typically how I read the forums to make it easy to make sure I catch everything) so...hopefully the continued forum tweaking will take care of it?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Yeah, I'm seeing that a bunch too.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I think the mods are moving some threads around.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

No mods on. sad

Also, when we do move it, it says that we edited the post.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm seeing the same as you, Pydro.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I see it too.  Not sure what it is going on there.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I see it too.  Not sure what it is going on there.  

Ditto.

...yeah, me too.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Joel has been doing some tweaking. Still needs some fine-tuning, I guess. I'll shoto him an email tomorrow when I'm back at my desk.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Have they moved your desk out of the men's room yet?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Craig wrote:

Joel has been doing some tweaking. Still needs some fine-tuning, I guess. I'll shoto him an email tomorrow when I'm back at my desk.

I know you're the overlord and all now but Jeez man! It's not so bad you need to take a blade to him.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Matchstickman wrote:
Craig wrote:

I know you're the overlord and all now but Jeez man! It's not so bad you need to take a blade to him.

It's just a dramatic gesture. Like pinning a note to a door with a knife, only with neat calligraphy.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Craig wrote:

Matchstickman wrote:
Craig wrote:

It's just a dramatic gesture. Like pinning a note to a door with a knife, only with neat calligraphy.

If you guys had paid attention to the forced forum discard thread, you would know that Craig is a villain who's now flipped, or has he? Have I been metagaming?

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

He's just implementing some core concepts used in the organisation.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'm still seeing a bunch of posts claiming to have been moved in "new and updated" - the same threads keep coming up like that as well as some new ones.

It's pretty irritating because clicking the "view topic" link doesn't take you to the first new post, and you end up having to find where you've already read to manually. It also doesn't show how many new posts, or who relied last, or any other useful information.

Sonething's obviously not right. Why does the forum keep repeatedly telling us a thread has been moved every time instead of saying it's been updated?

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Ah, didn't see that. Thanks!

But see, I'm missing stuff. I don't normally miss stuff! ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Seriously though, it's getting really old to see a bunch of topics saying that a topic's been moved to another place (in the New & Updated tab), when really what it means is that there's a new post in the topic but it's up to us to figure out which ones are new.  Hope we're closing in on a fix soon.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

This is why I am glad I manually go to every thread with a new post and read all of them!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Me too!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:

Seriously though, it's getting really old to see a bunch of topics saying that a topic's been moved to another place (in the New & Updated tab), when really what it means is that there's a new post in the topic but it's up to us to figure out which ones are new.  Hope we're closing in on a fix soon.

Me, too.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

In the upper left corner of a post next to the time it'll say (new). I just look for when those start.

EDIT: Just remembered you can also go to https://greaterthangames.com/forum/active to see what's new as well.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Koga wrote:

EDIT: Just remembered you can also go to https://greaterthangames.com/forum/active to see what's new as well.

Fascinating. I have no idea what's different between the list of 'Active' and 'New/Updated' posts. The Active list doesn't have the same problem (as Koga's pointed out).

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

The Active thing shows threads in order of when their last post was.

New and Updated only shows threads which have posts you haven't read yet.

Damn it, Ronway!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

The Active thing shows threads in order of when their last post was.New and Updated only shows threads which have posts you haven't read yet.

Ah, yes. Active shows the new stuff _and_then_ the other stuff. New and Updated only shows the new stuff. To my eye, Active is strictly better -- shows everything New and Updated shows and then some more things. The fact that the Active page is working and the New and Updated is not is merely icing on the cake.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:
The Active thing shows threads in order of when their last post was.New and Updated only shows threads which have posts you haven't read yet.

Ah, yes. Active shows the new stuff _and_then_ the other stuff. New and Updated only shows the new stuff. To my eye, Active is strictly better -- shows everything New and Updated shows and then some more things. The fact that the Active page is working and the New and Updated is not is merely icing on the cake.

I take that back. The 'problem' with the Active page is that if you pick and choose amongst the new topics, you end up with a bit of swiss cheese where it

may not be obvious how to make sure you've seen all topics that have new posts -- some of them may be pages and pages back.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

For me it's strictly worse. I only want to see threads I haven't read, and I hate having to pick out the ones I'm interested in from the list of everything.

I only use Active if I'm looking for a thread I know I read recently and want to look at again for some reason. That almost never happens.

Damn it, Ronway!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

Active is only better if you read everything in order. I have some things that I want to read right now and some things that I want to check out at some point, but aren't urgent. In Active view, those read-it-later items are likely to get pushed off to another page whereas anything that I haven't read shows up under New and Updated without being lost in recent threads that I've already looked at. Of the three tabs, I use Active the least by far.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Question: If this issue is indicative of changes being made to how the forum works, are we likely to see new features? If so, is this a reasonable place to talk about what those might be and things that we'd like?

I don't want to start a big discussion and get peoples' hopes up if it isn't likely to result in actual changes. On the other hand, if that sort of information would be valuable to the powers that be, what is the best way for us to get it to you?

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

I think I can speak for a few people if I say the emoticon would be a welcomed addition.

For me, personally...PM notifications on the page (rather than via email or manually checking them) would be nice.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

grysqrl wrote:

Question: If this issue is indicative of changes being made to how the forum works, are we likely to see new features? If so, is this a reasonable place to talk about what those might be and things that we'd like?I don't want to start a big discussion and get peoples' hopes up if it isn't likely to result in actual changes. On the other hand, if that sort of information would be valuable to the powers that be, what is the best way for us to get it to you?

Please start a new thread and take it all with a grain of salt. No reason not to express our opinions, but I wouldn't expect that there's any particular push at this point for new forum features.