The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Spirit Island

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craig
Craig's picture
Admin
Spirit Island

So who wants to talk about this pretty fantastic sounding co-op?

If you don't know about it, go listen to Dan Patriss's interview of Christopher on The Geek All-Stars podcast.

Mainly, I'm really curious who the designer is! Christopher only said his name is Eric, and thar's not helpful. :-P

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I think the thing that most intregues me about it is the role reversal of the game's theme.

So many games--especially eurogames (grr!)--deal with the colonization or takeover of an area, often "bloodlessly" or with the elements of combat and colonization abstracted to the point of sanitization.  To have a game where you're fighting off the greedy colonists?  That's a neat twist.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Yeah, that's definitely cool. I respect the designer immensely for putting that spin on it. Kind of a reverse Archipelago?

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

HATED Archipelago.  So anything that takes it down a peg?  I'm in.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Here's a link to the podcast for those of us who have never heard of The Geek All Stars before.

EDIT: Nope, that's just a link to their site where they don't have links to the podcast, what a waste of a site.

Here's an actual link, you want episode 80

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

It looks like this is the same game: http://unpub.net/spirit-island/

About all that gives is the last name of the designer ("Reuss")

Rath
Playtester
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'll have to listen to the podcast, but it sounds like a really great game! smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

HWWHAT

Ooh, that looks neat. Where do you people FIND this stuff?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Matchstickman wrote:

Here's a link to the podcast for those of us who have never heard of The Geek All Stars before.EDIT: Nope, that's just a link to their site where they don't have links to the podcast, what a waste of a site.Here's an actual link, you want episode 80

If all you care about is Spirit Island, it's 30 minutes in.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I just listened to it. There's a lot of reveals in there! For instance, there's going to be a preorder for Wrath of the Cosmos that will unlock new promos and other things.

Christopher is super-excited about Spirit Island! He'll be running demos at GenCon. He started off saying that it was a "reverse worker-placement game", but I didn't hear it explained just what that meant (hint hint...)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My big question is, do we get to playtest this, or not, since this is an outside game.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Given that it was discovered at Unpub, I would wager it is already extensively playtested. We may get some, but I doubt it. If we do, it will probably be as a last check on the final build.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Well, that puts a damper on my dreams of GtG invading and taking over all kinds of really cool games for the benefit of their loyal playtesters getting to play awesome new games before they are for sale.

I guess I'll have to settle for playing a whole lot of awesome games instead of All the awesome new games.  Don't really have time to do anymore anyway.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I just listened to this at work. Thanks for posting the podcast, I would have never known about this otherwise.

1. Spirit Island sounds fresh as hell. I really, really, hope I can sneak in some time to play it at GenCon, but I'll just end up letting other folks who arn't working there at the booth play it instead. 

2. The kickstarter-esque WotC pre-order idea is fantastic. I love the premise. I will be looking forward to seeing all the promos! 

3. Any time Christopher talks about something, his excitment is contagious and it's awesome.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Foote wrote:

Any time Christopher talks about something, his excitment is contagious and it's awesome.

Totally! I'm probably going to buy Spirited Island just from how Christopher talked about it.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Listen up, playtesters. You'd better be ready as all get out to playtest Spirit Island, because you can bet your Sentinels that is happening. This year. 

It was really hard not to swear a lot in that previous sentence. In a good way. I swear when I'm excited. It's a character flaw. *shrug*

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Christopher wrote:

Listen up, playtesters. You'd better be ready as all get out to playtest Spirit Island, because you can bet your Sentinels that is happening. This year. It was really hard not to swear a lot in that previous sentence. In a good way. I swear when I'm excited. It's a character flaw. *shrug*

I love it when I'm proven wrong. :-)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

AWW YEAH

Also, I cannot WAIT to see those (probably) Prime Wardens promos!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

McBehrer wrote:

AWW YEAHAlso, I cannot WAIT to see those (probably) Prime Wardens promos!

Nope. Omnitron i and Maia Montgomery, CEO are totally gonna be the new promos.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

#$*&#( YEAH!

Clearing calendar of unimportant things like cleaning, eating, sleeping and holidays.

Ready for Spirit Island!

The quest for domination of the cool new games market is back on!

(apologies to non-playtesters, but it is a lot of fun over here on the [REDACTED] side)

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Seeing that GtG become a publisher in their own rights, first with Sentinel Tactics and now with Spirit island is giving me incentive to go back and work on my own games. I love that Christopher is in a position to help out others with games he enjoys.

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Are you guys going to need more playtesters for the slate you guys have coming up?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Just got round to checking out those links...sounds kind of interesting. Wouldn't mind giving it a go, seeing how it's co-operative :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

NAL0781
NAL0781's picture
Playtester

Got around to listening to the podcast.  This really seems like a neat concept for a game.  I look forward to checking it out.  Also, love co-op so...

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

They posted a picture of what they are demoing on twitter for those who aren't going to Gencon.  http://t.co/TGoOFGLJ07

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

That doesn't really look like an island...

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The different colors are different terrain. I'm sure it'll look better in the production version, when it has art and such.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Oh, so the outline of the panels itself makes up the island.  Got it.  I thought the blue was water.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Silly Spiff. Blue is terrain. Wood texture is water.

-- Trajector

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Duh.  Sorry.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Well, the blue is areas with usable beaches, if I remember correctly. Imagine the rest of the island's edges as cliffs down to the sea.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I played this game yesterday. Omg, I'm in love. It's basically like the game is playing Catan all by itself, which, unfortunately, is deadly to you. So you have to stop it. Super thematic, super thinky. This is a definite to-get for me.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

There's a video review/description thingy with Christopher and his awesome beard* up on Boardgamegeek

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/51540/spirit-island/gen-con-2014-spirit-island-prototype-demo

*Yeah, I'm actually jealous of the beard.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, I agree, imprimis5. It's a very entertaining game!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

imprimis5 wrote:

I played this game yesterday. Omg, I'm in love. It's basically like the game is playing Catan all by itself, which, unfortunately, is deadly to you. So you have to stop it. Super thematic, super thinky. This is a definite to-get for me.

A game where you get to disrupt a game of Catan? I wonder how much SIlverleaf will enjoy this game, knowing her hatred of Catan.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:

Hatred of Catan.

I thought this was a different game.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Pydro wrote:

I thought this was a different game.

Yeah, they renamed it Spirit Island, due to copyright infringement.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

There's a video review/description thingy with Christopher and his awesome beard* up on Boardgamegeekhttp://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/51540/spirit-island/gen-con-2014-spir... *Yeah, I'm actually jealous of the beard.

Good video (other than that they referred to Christopher as Chris frown) - thanks for sharing!

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

That game looks great. Like someone else mentioned, an anti catan

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I love this game.  I can't wait to play it.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

This sounds like the best game in the world. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

It does look good.  The only part that isn't turning me on is the idea of dealing with actual real-world countries.  Since the game is about mystical spirits, it's obviously not a historical re-enactment, and I'd almost rather they made up fictional empires and countries as the colonizers rather than France, England, etc.  I'd expect that not everyone would share that opinion, but asking my buddies, "so, do we want to go up against France, or... oooooh, Holland tonight?" doesn't sound nearly as fun as choosing between fictional colonial powers which have been designed for maximum thematic fun.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I do like that the generic enemies are the UFPD; The United Forces of Planetary Domination.

-- Trajector

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

It does look good.  The only part that isn't turning me on is the idea of dealing with actual real-world countries.  Since the game is about mystical spirits, it's obviously not a historical re-enactment, and I'd almost rather they made up fictional empires and countries as the colonizers rather than France, England, etc.  I'd expect that not everyone would share that opinion, but asking my buddies, "so, do we want to go up against France, or... oooooh, Holland tonight?" doesn't sound nearly as fun as choosing between fictional colonial powers which have been designed for maximum thematic fun.

I completely agree. It was also my main (and possibly only) concern. The game looks solid...!

MrLeRobot...

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spirit Island has at least three elements of considerable complexity -- 1) There are a wide number of possible actions each player can take, 2) The interleaving of slow and fast actions with the colonists' actions leads to a challenge in holding in mind what will happen when, and 3) The precession of which types of lands will be affected in different ways by the colonists each turn leads to a further challenge in holding in mind what will happen when.

The result, for me, is a tremendous about of brainspace required to do what I'd normally like to do, think through all the possibilities in order to choose the one I think best.

To enjoy Spirit Island, then, I had to let go of my perfectionism and allow myself to be happy with dedicating what brainspace I could. This was a lesson I learned the hard way on Galactic Strike Force, which took me quite a few plays to really enjoy very much, though I eventually did. The end result for Spirit Island was that it was super fun for me by the second game. I'm really looking forward to more.

My favorite parts of playing so far have been: 1) Feeling as if I am this unique spirit who is collaborating with other spirits to work to protect something I love, 2) The unfolding of the various random elements -- new powers becoming available, colonists and natives doing various things. 

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I wrote up my thoughts over on BoardGameGeek, if anyone wants to take a look.