The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Weekend - Villain Beatdown!

90 posts / 0 new
Last post
Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Well, I nicely broke my losing streak today, and make a ridiculously excessive 6-point contribution by beating advaned Gloomweaver in a Halloween theme game.  (There are only two "spooky" heroes, Nightmist and Wraith, so I had to settle for Mr. Fixer as a not-especially-un-spooky third; naturally the environment had to be Tomb of Anubis.)  He made me work for it, and the Advanced part actually mattered since I'd picked appropriate heroes....Fixer got Grease Monkey Fist, so he had no problem, but Gloomy lived for probably 2 rounds longer than he would have if Wraith could have used Inventory Barrage, and he also got to ignore a Swinging Blades trap in the environment.

I then went on to my second fight against the Ennead (no longer Advanced this time), and have firmly convinced myself that they are among my favorite villains of all time, possibly even my single favorite.  The heroes were the "Stop Hitting Yourself" Party - Nightmist, Absolute Zero and Fanatic.  And despite the fact that AZ and Fanatic have gotten killed in more than half the previous games I played them in, this time they were absolute rock stars, with the usually amazing Nightmist being largely irrelevant.  AZ ended the game on 4 HP and Fanatic used Sacrosanct Martyr to put herself down to 1; both would likely have died, leaving Nightmist to finish the fight solo, if not for both Sherrif Pratt and Roger Hayes working together to put down Set, who I had wisely left for last.  There was something rather poetic in that.

So as of today, I've played Sentinels exactly 54 times - three times the number of both heroes and villains which currently exist.  That hardly means I'm done, of course; I'll see about getting an actual social game in tomorrow if I can, and on Sunday I can easily do two or three more solos.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Pydro wrote:

Wow! Minor Beatdown and it is still Friday!

I have a feeling that we'll have Major Beatdown by the end of today, while getting a healthy start on Mega Beatdown.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Oh no, the dreaded curse of Ronway has returned.

Run, Run for your lives!

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Legacy, Ra, the Scholar and AZ just managed a munificent victory against Advanced Ennead; at the end of the game Ra played Scorched Earth, for eight damage, then Scholar played Don't Dismiss Anything, and Ra revealed another Scorched Earth... It was beautiful.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

The Grasshopper (age 8) and I got in two games, beating Ambuscade in Insula Primalis and getting creamed by Cosmitron at Wagner Mars Base. He played Unity both times; I did Haka and Absolute Zero in the first game, and Bunker and Tempest in the second. The fact that Bunker started with two Adhesive Foam Grenades and two Maintenance Units did not help our efforts.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Had an auto win today. Haka, Ra, Visonary against Apostate in Megalopolis. It was advanced, not that it mattered much.

EDIT: Same team against PLague Rat in Insula Primas. First turn Flesh of the Sun god and Volcanic Eruption with Twist the Ether a little bit later. I was waiting for Imbued Fire, but the game ended before that.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Team Leader Tachyon, Dark Visionary, Nightmist, and Golem Unity just wiped the floor of Pike Industrial Complex with Advanced Matriarch. It wasn't even fair. Twist the Ether on Matriarch and Nightmist. Nightmist played 3 Twisted Oblivions. Tachyon fed cards to Unity, so Flash Forge brought all of the good bots and a couple of pylons. Visionary stacked Matriarch's deck so she only ever played one fowl card (a couple of useless one-shots the first round didn't hurt). Muninn had -7 HP at the end of the game.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MAJOR BEATDOWN!!!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Game 6 was a loss to Matriarch advanced in Tomb of Anubis Vis, Tempest, Ra and Nightmist.  Really bad timing on darken the skies.

Game 7 We got revenge with Visionary, Expat, Fanatic and Scholar.  The high point was Scholar throwing 2 keep moving to pull 2 flesh to iron and then playing alchemical redirection, so that we could survive not clearing the 11 fowl in play with 2 obsidian fields out.  He then died when we cleared the field (Matriarch dealt 13 instances of 5 damage, and he had 13 health.)  We won the next round, Smite the Transgressor with Sacrosanct Martyr and 2 obsidian fields out, 15 damage through 1 reduction is pretty good.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I taught the game to three new people today; it was the ultimate newbie match, Baron Blade in Megalopolis, so it contributes only a single point toward the challenge, but hopefully it brings in new folks to the hobby.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

The forum players, including myself (barely; I spent half the game in Recharge Mode and never once did damage), have just taken out Advanced Kismet.  Dear OP:  Your spreadsheet lists Kismet at difficulty 2, but she's a 3 in the Shattered Timelines character supplement.  Please revise.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Mine says that she is a 2.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I have both a physical copy AND a download from the >G website, which both agree that Kismet and Dreamer are 3s, with LC at a 2.  I for one believe LC is a 3, and Kismet is maybe only really hard on Advanced, but according to the official downloadable file, she's more than a 2.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Well, mine still says 2, and this is the first time I have heard that it changed. Once I get a confirmation that 3 is the correct number, I will change it.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I'll confirm that the version currently posted as PDF lists Kismet as a 3 and La Cap as a 2. (Iron Legacy as 4 and the Dreamer as 3, if it matters)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Envisioner wrote:
I have both a physical copy AND a download from the >G website, which both agree that Kismet and Dreamer are 3s, with LC at a 2.
This is very odd, I wasn't aware there was more than one printing of Shattered Timelines. My printed Character Supplement has Kismet as a 2; I bought it directly from >G on August 7 this year. Where did you get your physical copy? Does anyone else have a physical copy with Kismet as a 3? (Obviously this difference is minor, but I want to know if there are more differences.)
Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

The Sentinels Sidekick app lists Kismet as a 3. Keep in mind that app is official. 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I know. I checked it as well as the online pdf. However, regarding the app, they might have just checked the newest rulebook, and only asked questions they weren't sure of (e.g. what is the difficulty of the promos).

I am not denying that it says 3 in those, I am just really puzzled as to why. In the PT forum, when the proof came out, there was no discussion by anyone about this. There has been no discussion anywhere (that I can find) about this. Either people saying it is wrong, or GtG saying it is. So, there are two options: 1) It was a mistake in the reprint. 2) GtG made the decision to change it. It could very well be #2, I just want a confirmation (and reason) on that. With no previous discussion, or GtG saying it changed, it just seems off. In fact, if any villain should be changed, Kismet wouldn't be my first choice.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

In honor of Sentinels Weekend I decided to throw down Mad Bomber Blade for the first time ever.  (I've been saving it)

Game 8 went with Visionary, Expat, Fanatic and Scholar in Megalopolis after they did so well vs. Matriarch last night and they won, but just barely.  Two living force fields in the first two rounds was rough to overcome, and I misplayed death ray to hit all heroes instead of highest (would have probably caused Visionary to live), but overall really cool mod to Blade.  I'm going to try him advanced.

Game 9 on advanced actually went better, even with a Hasten Doom/Consider the price of Victory to start the death ray side, and the Environment having just played  Hostage situation, so no cards in play 7 in the villain trash and can't play cards.  Not a good start.

Fanatic had used Twist the Ether, Embolden and Sacrosanct Martyr to nuke down Blade's first side, so she was in bad shape and died pretty quick, the Scholar was a boss with taking those huge death ray blasts (the last one was for 12 damage) partly because of Fanatic's incap heals.  Expatriette did her steady normal damage.  Great match, I really love Mab Bomber, I need to get his card now.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Attended a FLGS sponsored gaming marathon for charity yesterday.  Taught SotM to two who have not played it before - one of whom purchased the Enhanced Edition and Shattered Timelines* later in the evening.  laugh

Three low value wins, but wins just the same.

#1:  Legacy, Ra, and Bunker vs Baron Blade @ Insula Primalis (WIN)(3 players)

Learning game with 3rd player coming in and taking over Legacy in Round 3.  Probably most valuable play was Legacy playing Danger Sense since he was a T-Rex target for the rest of the game pretty much.

#2: Scholar, Tachyon, and Fanatic vs Ambushcase @ Wagner Mars Base (WIN)(3 players)

New player took Scholar and sort of had fun working out how to use him.  Ambushcade never got cloaking device out and so it was a straightforward slugfest for 10 rounds.  Tachyon pretty much finished the deal with a Lightning Reflex - Barrage (x2) combo for 22 points of damage.

#3: Fanatic, Tempest, and Unity vs Omnitron @ Ruins of Atlantis (WIN)(3 players)

Player with Unity did not have much luck.  Got up to five golems out and then a couple of environment attacks wiped them out.  End of Days got played to clear out both of Omnitron's explosives and also that annoying Adaptive Plating Subroutine, and which also cleared Tempest's extensive tableau.  Omnitron was hurting by then anyways and Fanatic finished the robot off with a 23 point Wrathful Retribution.

* - If anyone is still looking for a copy of the Infernal Relics expansion The Games Keep in West Chester, PA has at least one copy still available.  No copies of Rook City unfortunately.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Just wanted to remind everyone with all these games being played, try to get as many as you can submitted to the statistics thread.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

Just wanted to remind everyone with all these games being played, try to get as many as you can submitted to the statistics thread.

Just got done putting in all nine from the past two days.  smiley

And I should get a few solo games in today while watching football.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I stand corrected.  My physical copy does indeed show Kismet at 2.  But the download version and the app are up to date, so they must have been changed after ST went to the printers.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Only 29 more points, woohoo! I leave it to the rest of you to complete it.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Well, I've been planning to spend all day playing all day, and am now finally starting.  Let's see how many games I can get done in just under six hours.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hopefully, it won't be another 7 hour game. If it is, you won't make it.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Well, just this minute, I finally finished the game in question.  It was Advanced Citizen Dawn, so 6 points for the win, but goddamn did I ever work for it.  Haka's first-turn Rampage led to Dawn flipping on round 3, and then right when she was about to unflip on round 8, Marsquake came up at the worst possible time, killed two of the Citizens that Tachyon had bruised with a Sonic Vortex (in preparation for needing to kill them fast when Dawn unflipped), and led to another 2 turns of delay.  And then, after resolving the damage from Marsquake, I proceeded to Dawn's turn, dished out a bunch of damage to the hero team, and then remembered that Haka had a Ground Pound in play and had to figure out exactly how much HP to put back, after Legacy (with a DR 1 that only one other hero had, thanks to Argent Adept) had been redirecting damage with Lead From the Front in order to keep Nightmist alive, and had died in the process, so I had to un-kill him, get his trash and hand back out of the deck, and put all the heroes' HP back where it should have been.  (And now that I think back, I even screwed that up, because while I was rewinding the damage from the villains, I also rewound the damage to heroes from the Marsquake, which is not a target and thus was not prevented by Ground Pound...rather appropriately.)

Had it not been SOTM Weekend, I would have conceded in disgust after a snafu of that order, but instead I got as close to straightening it out as possible, and continued slogging through the game.  Despite Nightmist having been down to 2 HP at one point, the heroes managed to turn things around, and there were no casualties apart from the accidental death of Legacy (who would have had 1 HP after the Marsquake, but enough healing had flown around that there was some hope of him surviving, though I'll never be quite sure how it should have turned out).  In the end, Tachyon and Haka cleaned up all the Citizens in one round after Dawn unflipped, and then killed Dawn herself one round later...but that was probably the hardest game I've ever played, and even with only 3.5 hours to go, I am totally not up to doing another one right away.  I may have time to finish at least one more, but not until after I take a break.

EDIT - I forgot to mention she also played That Damn Card about halfway through, plus we constantly had to discard cards to Citizen Tears and Blinding Blasts...it was an absurdly frustrating bout. I should have known better than to play five heroes against Dawn for the second time, because my last such matchup was comparably prolonged and difficult for exactly the same reasons (albeit in a less heinous environment).

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Got three solo games in this evening.

#1 : Omnitron in the Final Wasteland vs Unity, Omnitron-X, and Chrono-ranger (WIN)(Solo)

11 Rounds.  Omnitron was successful in beating down Chrono-ranger and Omnitron-X build-ups, but was brought low by Unity's Golem Swarm.  Turret Bot was up early and survived the whole game.  Eventually topped out at five golems (Turret, Leader, Stealth, Raptor, Bee) and was benefiting from a Chrono-ranger bounty as well.

#2 Kismet at Insula Primalis vs. Legacy, Bunker, and The Wraith (WIN)(Solo)

6 Rounds.  Wraith started the game with 2 Improvised Equipment cards in hand and thus was pounding on Kismet or the Talisman from the get-go.  And she kept adding equipment from there.  Bunker got Turret-mode going on the last turn with Flak Cannon and Grenade-Launcher.  Legacy did Legacy things and Inspired Presence and Galvanize was running most of the time.  And the Environment added an Obsidian Field for the last round as well.

#3 Ambushcade at Wagner Mars Base vs. Legacy, Chrono-ranger, and Fanatic

10 Rounds.   Ambushcade was holding his own with Reactive Shields and Cloaking Device keeping the heroes at bay while the environment cards played havoc with equipment and hands.  Then about Round 7 or so Fanatic essentially nerfed him with Zealous Offense.  Used it for one round to allow Chrono-ranger to plink two sonic mines, then afterwards used it to make Ambushcade and one other device essentially useless for damage.  With Galvanize going and Chrono-ranger bounties going the three of them tore up Ambushcade and the odd device using one-shots and weaponry.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

You either haven't inputted your points yet or already did so before I did, Oaktree.  The spreadsheet is still showing 18 points to go.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Envisioner wrote:

You either haven't inputted your points yet or already did so before I did, Oaktree.  The spreadsheet is still showing 18 points to go.

I think I put them in before you did.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Just an hour and half left, with 10 points to go. Will it make it to Mega Beatdown?

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I've solo'd Voss and Cosmitron, so there's another 6. Both times were with Legacy, Wraith, Unity, Tempest, and AZ (in that order) in Megalopolis, for the ease of switching between games.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

MEGA BEATDOWN ACHIEVED.

Took out Miss information (adv.) with Visionary, Fanatic, Haka and Young Legacy, Fanatic threw retribution at 1hp (had been milling her deck like crazy once we figured out it was our only hope) she died to retribution damage, then Haka savage mana haka of battle to finish her off.

The game before with the same team we ROFLStomped Chairman Advanced, Brain Burn first round and Young Legacy getting lead from the front and Next Evolution out meant a bad day for the Chairman.  Fanatic got Martyr and Embolden and Visionary put twist the Ether on her, it wasn't a slow death.

It also means we defeated every single villain this weekend.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

GREAT JOB, EVERYONE!!!

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Welp, my second game of the evening had the advantage of being MUCH faster.  I was better prepared to deal with the Matriarch than ever before, but I didn't luck into any of the cards that would have enabled me to survive the Birdageddon; I was just starting to get the game under control when all the heroes ran out of HP except Visionary, who had 2 left.  The incap abilities of the fallen heroes were spectacularly unhelpful, and she didn't draw a Telekinetic Cocoon or anything, so there was no way for her to accomplish anything before dying, and I conceded rather than give Matty the satisfaction of killing her.

Ronway wrote:
Just an hour and half left

You must be in a different time zone; I still show two hours to go.  This is probably a DST issue...the time was specified as being CST, so something wasn't lined up the way I thought it was.  Good thing you ended up not needing my points.

phantaskippy wrote:
MEGA BEATDOWN ACHIEVED.  It also means we defeated every single villain this weekend.

Magnificent.  I was less help than I hoped to be, having lost four of the eight games I played since the challenge was announced (not counting the Kismet forum game which had started earlier).  But it was still lots of fun to participate.  And heck, I might play once more tonight just for the heck of it, though I no longer feel compelled to.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Envisioner wrote:

Ronway wrote:

Just an hour and half left

You must be in a different time zone; I still show two hours to go.  This is probably a DST issue...the time was specified as being CST, so something wasn't lined up the way I thought it was.  Good thing you ended up not needing my points.

I'm too tired, having trouble telling time.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Mazel tov, everyone!  

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Envisioner wrote:

Magnificent.  I was less help than I hoped to be, having lost four of the eight games I played since the challenge was announced

Down goes Baron Blade advanced, so that is every hero advanced defeated as well.  I went 9-3 for the weekend, but I was really stacking my teams with exactly the right heroes.   

51 points for me, I'm pretty pleased.

This was a lot of fun, and a great excuse to break out some powerful teams.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

83 points for Google+, at least I hope I counted right. I'm slightly disappointed, I was hoping for over 100 points, so that way it would of achieved Minor Beatdown... Oh well, maybe next time.

Pages