The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Some QND Wrath of the Cosmos Thoughts

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pulseglazer
Playtester
Some QND Wrath of the Cosmos Thoughts

When I join a forum, I try to generate conversation, so here we are.  I'll go through deck by deck with some random thoughts on each.

1. Captain Cosmic  - I love him.  He's a phenomenal swiss army knife character, keeping your guys standing and dropping opponents.  He MUST be paired with ongoing/event destruction, but with that given, his extra card plays and passive abilities turn an average team into something dominant.  Augmented Ally is absurd with Team Leader Tachyon.  Cosmic Cannon isn't my favorite unless someone has extra power uses.  Most cards have powers for specific reasons.  I do like it with Setback and a few others, though.  Dynamic Syphon is just nuts.  Even at only an extra power or two before it's destroyed, this can win a game.  Energy Bracer may be my favorite of all these cards.  Adding it to Scholar, Stealth Bot, etc... sheez.  I don't love the cards he uses to damage, but, well, he supports enough for it to not matter.

2. Deadline - I adore his flavor, but I don't love his deck itself. He seems like a big damage dealer with healing who will take forever to beat. It feels like enough ongoing hate will make him a bit easy.  The enviornment manipulation seems fun, but in a long game, the wrong enviornment will make this torture. This needs testing to see how to max challenge and fun with enviornments.  I hope I have that much patience.

3. Infiltrator - He feels a bit like Voss with more consistent oomph.  He isn't terribly difficult, unless you get particularly bad luck with Crushing Cage.  Still, LOVE the Beta Ray Bill thing.

4. Enclave of the Englings - love the Kirby theme. Immutus (the Celestial lookalike) is deck defining.  This should never be played with the Dreamer.  Still, it will be wildly fun, especially with villains that have a few targets to give the idea of a wild battle royal.  Tempest should ROCK this deck.

5. Sky Skraper - I want her Small at like all times besides Thorantian Monolith.  Those links are crazy control. Rebounding Debalitator is phenomenal, especially against Iron Legacy. Micro-Assembler really helps characters like Unity, Nightmist, Wraith, Chrono Ranger and Legacy, but almost everyone has at least one equipment he or she really wants... and it puts the card into play! Cortex Hyperstimulator in multiples is ridiculous, as is aggression modulator with any enviornment heavy in targets.  Finally, grab them all with FOUR Linking Incursion?  This is a wildly dynamic play experience and one of my favorite characters.

6. Dok'Thorath Capital - This is just cool.  It can help or hurt you and the idea of rebels and civilians on a foreign planet?  This is going to see a lot of play in my house.  It isn't new with most of the text, but the flavor works.

7. Bloodsworn Colosseum - So, who is each person, here?  Champion is Tempest, Chaos Lord is Tachyon, Death Caller is Kvothe (shut up, I love that card), Reckless is Knyfe, Living Weapn is Chrono Ranger, Seeker is Little Dawn, Unbreakable is Haka, the Mindbreaker is Scholar... but who is the Indiscriminate? Stonejaw?

8. Progeny - T-2000 Amazo with cosmic power?  Yes please.  Scoin cards are going to be a bastard.  This is going to require big damage once a few are in play, so alpha strikes and set up is a must.  Of course, he can destroy your stuff, so it's a balance. Ongoing hate with Alpha Strikes.. and even then it may not be enough.  Seems like Tachyon and a damage sponge would go a long way... probably Super Scientific, which works for me as it's one of my favorite cards, but Scholar goes an awful lot better with Team Leader.

9. Kaagara Warfarng - perhaps my new favorite villain.  I love the alternate playstyle and how challenging it is to find creative ways to mess with her deck, her gladiators, and the titles.  The win condition is fairly brilliant and can be accomplished numerous ways.  I cannot say enough about how cool I find this character and how much fun I'm going to have trying to get the right titles on the right people and find different ways to attain victory points/avoid flipping her.  A+ design.

That's all for me, for now. Any thoughts and replies appreciated.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Indiscriminate is Char from the Block

Stonejaw is Tony Torus (most likely) from Rook City

Pulseglazer
Playtester

Foote wrote:

Indiscriminate is Char from the BlockStonejaw is Tony Torus (most likely) from Rook City

Kind of sad about Stonejaw.  I think a simple detective in a suit would be awfully cool.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Pulseglazer wrote:

Foote wrote:
Indiscriminate is Char from the BlockStonejaw is Tony Torus (most likely) from Rook City

Kind of sad about Stonejaw.  I think a simple detective in a suit would be awfully cool.

Well we dont know hardly anything about Tony other than he is a simple detective in a suit. Maybe we will learn more about him?

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

For fans of The Kingkiller Chronicles, does anyone else think that Death Caller Adept looks somewhat like the rumor described by Chronicler in the first few chapters of The Name of The Wind?

"Some are even saying that there is a new Chandrian.  A fresh terror in the night.  His hair as red as the blood he spills." (Rothfuss 45)

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Pulseglazer
Playtester

Reckless wrote:

For fans of The Kingkiller Chronicles, does anyone else think that Death Caller Adept looks somewhat like the rumor described by Chronicler in the first few chapters of The Name of The Wind?"Some are even saying that there is a new Chandrian.  A fresh terror in the night.  His hair as red as the blood he spills." (Rothfuss 45)

Thatks very cool... and the Chandrian are terrifying. Something along their lines would make a really cool Vengeance style villain... or even a normal one with a clue deck, where you follow clues and get a different member who makes the main deck play differently each time.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You do know Christopher is a fan, right? :-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I've been trying to figure out what QND means.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Quick 'n' Dirty? Possibly?

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

With a lowercase N that would make sense. With an uppercase one the N word should be a significant one, not just "and".

Damn it, Ronway!

Pulseglazer
Playtester

Quick n Dirty. And the short form I've always seen in all caps, since quick AND dirty isn't the actual phrase (in this case, the abreviation actually being appropriate given the meaning). By the by, I'm an English teacher, but if you want more activity on a forum, perhaps less with the grammar policing unless it's egregious.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I don't think it was so much grammar policing as it was asking and trying to figure out what it meant. smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

On another note, I think Energy Bracers specifically target hero character cards and not targets to prevent stealth bot shenanigans.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Rabit wrote:

I don't think it was so much grammar policing as it was asking and trying to figure out what it meant. smiley

Yeah, that's the one.

Whenever I've seen acronyms with an N standing for "and", it's been lowercase - DnD, PnP, RnR, etc, since you'd write Dungeons and Dragons and Print and Play and Rest and Relaxation without capitalising the unimportant "and", so I assumed it meant something other than QnD.

I guess writing "quick and dirty" in full would have been quicker, huh? ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Please, writing out words may be easier to understand, but what fun is that?

You need to stop worrying about efficiency Silverleaf and learn to enjoy the finer things in life, like texting abbreviations and using numbers to represent letters.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I think I'm the only person I know who writes out words in full when texting.

Except my mum, who starts each message to me with "Anna" as if I don't know who I am, and ends with "love Mum" as if I don't know who she is.

Many years ago I read a description of a person's hobbies in French, which included "j'aime écouter des K7s". It took me ages to figure it out. The first bit was simple - I like to listen to *multiple objects* - but what on earth is a kay seven? I only got it when I spoke it out loud, in French. Ka sept. Cassette.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I write all my texts as formally as possible, esp. once I find out it annoys someone.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Don't worry, Silverleaf, you're not the only one who had no idea what "QND" meant ;). And you're also not the only one who types out all their words in full. Not that I make use of my mobile phone very often - mainly to send my dad a message to let him know I'm gonna be late home from work if I missed my train or something.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

I too type things out in full. Also, even though I now know what it means, it still just three random letters in my head. Plus, how does one ask a dirty question about something like SotM? I realise that that is setting someone up for a silly answer.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

IDK.

FWIW IMHO ABCA RA WOT

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Matchstickman wrote:

IDK.FWIW IMHO ABCA RA WOT

I was waiting for someone to do this.

I also type everything out (with proper punctuation too, most of the time).  It's easier now that phone keyboards are generally smarter than they used to be.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Comrade Bubbles

I'm sure that would be funnier if I knew more of the acronyms....

But thank you for confirming my gut feeling about the answer(s) I would get cheeky

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

They're not really acronyms - acronyms spell out a word. Otherwise I think they're just called "initialisms".

I am the Wordweaver...

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I also spell out everything when texting, except LOL which I use very rarely... and ETA.

Going back to the card discussion

I hate Infinitor and he should die horribly. My first game against him was H=3, so he started with 2 manisfestations. Then he played Insanity. By the time he was done with his first turn he had 9 manisfestations, two of which were occular swarms, and I took probably 30 total damage. By the end of round 3 he had played 11 of his 15 targets and my entire team was dead (Cap. Cosmic, Sky-scraper, and KNYFE)

Also, I haven't drawn many link cards for Skyscraper, but her other two forms are very powerful andI loved playing her with Cap's Augmented ally. Discard, use normal power to draw 2, play a huge card for some damage, then use thunder clap to hit al nonheroes for 2. Great times. My only issue is that the more universal damage she does with her huge form the more likely she is to injury her allies, one of her few +1 plays I saw immediately causes her to deal 1 damage to every ally. Good news is that Thorian monolith protects the team from that damage, bad news only for one turn. I can see why she's lv 3, since not only are you balancing her damage and flipping forms, but the linkage system is a little complex.

Actually, quick question, What happens to a link after the target is played in front of is destroyed. I've been playing that it stays out, but no longer does anything as it is not on a valid target but I would love some confirmation.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

If a card that gets attached to something doesn't have any kind of "When the card this card is attached to is destroyed, do X" text, it just stays floating in the aether until it gets destroyed via ongoing/equipment desctruction or whatever. Compare Jim's bounties - they all say "When the target is destroyed, do X and return this card to the trash" except Ultimate Target, which instead stays sat there doing nothing until you can get it back (I think the Hat lets you destroy bounties).

I am the Wordweaver...

bloodylovelust

It may be because I don't play on anything easier then advanced (some time add the powers from the additional sheet to make them even harder), but deadline is a pain. Even when you have ongoing destruction you have to debate if the 3 damage to hero targets is worth it.

Comrade Bubbles

Ameena wrote:

They're not really acronyms - acronyms spell out a word. Otherwise I think they're just called "initialisms".

The more you know! Thank you for correcting me.

nyrens

Matchstickman wrote:

IDK.FWIW IMHO ABCA RA WOT

Translation: "I don't know. For what it's worth, in my honest opinion, American Baseball Coaches Association Residential Advisor, what?"

(I think he was trying to say that Ra is still the best or something - no clue what ABCA was supposed to stand for though.)

Comrade Bubbles

It was the last three that threw me as well.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

bloodylovelust wrote:

It may be because I don't play on anything easier then advanced (some time add the powers from the additional sheet to make them even harder), but deadline is a pain. Even when you have ongoing destruction you have to debate if the 3 damage to hero targets is worth it.

Tempest is a godsend with advanced Deadline. Into the Stratosphere can buy you a free round, however its likely 4 or more enviro cards will be removed from the game if you do that. Limiting how fast the enviro deck empties per blast is key to slowing down his timer. Can't really afford having him blow up 4 cards more than once. It allows him one less flip cycle till the auto-lose condition.

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

I went to school for English, so the thought of using L33T SP34k or silly little not-words in the world of texting hurts my soul. I don't even know how to properly 'leet speak' as previously shown! And, since I'm not using my education for anything at all that I do, it's nice to pretend once in a while by always punctuating texts and e-mails appropriately. 

When I do abuse the language (and who doesn't?) I like to do so with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Or to be annoying. One of the two. Or Both! And how?

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Yep. I English incorrectly on purpose. For effect.

Damn it, Ronway!

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

Yep. I English incorrectly on purpose. For effect.

Ain't it fun? Wink, wink. 

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!