The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Setting Sun Ra Unlock Discussion

97 posts / 0 new
Last post
McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester
Setting Sun Ra Unlock Discussion

Here it is! The last variant of Fall of the Variants!

Best of luck, everyone!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

bolnerap

Tried Ra/Fanatic/Tachyon/Tempest in Tomb of Anubis. Made sure to destroy Anubis and all Ennead. Ra didn't destroy any of them himself. Ra played each Ongoing and had each one destroyed. Staff was in play when he was incapacitated. Fanatic was the sole survivor. No dice.

Figured all ten of them + Anubis had to be destroyed per the ARG + Fanatic being there made sense. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I tried more or less the same thing and failed.  Tried to get Ra to destroy Anubis and the Ennead himself, but he went down when three of them were left.  He never played the Staff.

I'll try cheesing it in future attempts... The Ennead basically does nothing when it can't play cards, so stunts that involve recycling Take Down give you free wins.  You can pull it off with two Take Downs and a couple of "put a card from your trash back on top of your deck" cards, but that can take some time.  The easiest way is to take Freedom Six Bunker, put him after Legacy in the turn order, and just straight up murder him.  Then all you have to deal with is the environment, and fortunately, Freedom Five Legacy works perfectly for that.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I did one where Ra took out 6 of them at once, committed suicide, and Fanatic finished off the last one. Did not succeed.

Such a pain; Drawn to the Flame, while DEVASTATINGLY effective against the Ennead (especially with Legacy!) Makes the game lag REALLY HARD. Like, it took a minute and a half just to go through all of them, while mashing the "speed up" button.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Oh good, so I'm not the only one who suffers the Drawn to the Flame lag; it happens with Repli-Blade in Biomancer's deck as well. I keep meaning to file a bug report but then forgetting to get around to it. X3

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Well, it's not just finish off the Ennead with a Wrathful Gaze.

Chasejyd

Tried some baselines. It's definitely not just having Ra deal lots of area-effect damage vs. the Ennead, in the Tomb of Anubis. I tried to have him finish every member of the Ennead himself, but the environment took out Osiris.

Aside from the Ennead, wondering what else could be done for 'first successful strike against Oblivaeon.'

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Well since from the letters page, setting sun ra appeared once he recruited Anubis before going to the enead and getting them all to follow him. So it was SS Ra that fought oblivaeon. Maybe we need to defeat all the enead, and Anubis must be in play/cannot be destroyed by Ra/something on those lines. 

kehr.joseph

I can say that it's not "have both relics in ra of two horizon's play area, kill at least three members of the enead in the same round, have anubis deal the last damage to the last member of the enead."

On a similar note, is it possible that Ra needs to go down to self damage in some part? maybe self fire damage? Just looking at his ability "blaze of glory."

FearLord

The bio on the wiki indicates that he travelled to the Tomb of Anubis, and the place where the Ennead had started to reassemble.

Is it possible you need to play a game with Ra at Temple of Anubis first and then another against the Ennead somewhere else?

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I think that's a good call. Maybe fight a game in ToA first, Ra gaining all the relics and defeating(or possibly never getting hit by) Anubis, then play another game where he defeats the Ennead. Not sure if the second game should also take place in ToA or not...

Edit: Spelling

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Had Ra personally incap all members of the Ennead, destroy Anubis twice (once using the Rod of Anubis), but Anubis was in play at the end and the Rod of Anubis was in Ra's play area.  No unlock.  This was following the game I described previously, in which Ra destroyed Anubis and incapped most of the Ennead before going down himself.

Submit your games here!

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:

Had Ra personally incap all members of the Ennead, destroy Anubis twice (once using the Rod of Anubis), but Anubis was in play at the end and the Rod of Anubis was in Ra's play area.  No unlock.

I did the same thing last night, except Anubis was not in play at the end and that wasn't an unlock either.

NinjaMonkey

In the ARG Ra was alive just long enough to have words with Fanatic before he died. Gonna guess that Fanatic can't be on the team because she arrived after and that Ra must be near death, maybe even as low as 1 hp.

Course it could be something as silly as Ra deals all the damage and ibcaps everyone including himself.

Chasejyd

Following up on the Bunker unlock recently with the different types of damage, etc., and Ra/Anubis being smarter about the later fights, going through and taking them all out one by one --

I made an effort to have Ra incap each member of the Ennead using a different source of damage, one by one, never more than one in a turn.

I can't say if it would have worked or not, because the environment jumped in and killed Geb right near the end of the game.

Probably not right, but seemed worth a try with some of the tricky unlocks. May try something like it again.

The Girl With N...

Adding to the list of things it's not: defeating the entire Ennead with a single card while Anubis is in play. 

It took Scorched Earth and 10 environment cards along with Imbued Fire, the Staff of Ra and Solar Flare. Probably the most setup I've done for one of these. I hope I never have to do it again. 

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

Different damage types for Ra just doesn’t seem right.  He’s all fire man

waedens
Playtester

Data: Ennead (advanced) in Tomb of Anubis - TLT, OX, Rogue KNYFE, base Ra (in that order)

Played on advanced so i would be sure to see everyone. Ra personally finished off all the villians as well as Anubis. He had both artifacts from the Tomb in his play area and all ongoings except for flame barrier in play.

No unlock.

Chasejyd

Clarifying: Not different damage types, different attacks. Took one out with fire blast, one with the rod of anubis, one with gaze, etc., etc.

kehr.joseph

It's not, lose with Ra, Tempest, and Fanatic against the enead at temple of anubis then win with Ra of two horizons, tempest, and fanatic against the enead at insula primalis.

I think I heard this relating to the RPG, but isn't insula primalis a major part of the oblivaeon crisis? I never actually read the letters page.

Chasejyd

It's also not: vs. the Ennead in the Final Wasteland, let the Environment remove Ra from the game, after dealing AoE fire damage to all non-hero targets.

waedens
Playtester

Data: Legs, Fanatic, Scholar and base Ra vs. The Ennead in The Tomb of Anubis. I tried the Ra does nothing strategy. Won the game but no unlock. Not really surprising but it had to be done.

Chasejyd

Also, with thanks to Parse, not:

vs. the Ennead in ToA

Deal 1 target 10 irreducible damage

Deal all non-hero targets at least 4 irreducible damage

and incap Ra.

sped13

This is just a guess but shouldn't the unlock come from Horus of two horizons since that would be what he was before he went to recruit the ennead?

bolnerap

Maybe? But I'm unclear on that point, since Setting Sun Ra is much more visually similar to the original, and the ARG comic shows him as pretty much regular ol' Ra. I always associated Horus Ra as being part of just that particular event, and then he went back to doing his normal Ra thing.

Magic 8 Ball says: Cannot Rule Out.

FearLord

Yeah, I haven’t listened to the Letters Page episode about Ra yet, but I kind of thought that was like a temporary ‘wandering in the wilderness’ form rather than his ongoing look / ability...

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

I was going to test some stuff with Horus of the Two Horizons. I seem to recall hearing in The Letters Page that the conception of Ra's forms was "new day, midday, evening" and thus, each gives way to the next.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

scifantasy wrote:

I was going to test some stuff with Horus of the Two Horizons. I seem to recall hearing in The Letters Page that the conception of Ra's forms was "new day, midday, evening" and thus, each gives way to the next.

maybe it’s three games then?  

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

In one of the episodes of The Letters Page(I'm not sure witch, I think it was an interlude), C and A did mention that most characters will have a costume change once in a while, but they then normally return to their standard costuming after the special event passes or whatever. They even used Ra as an example, saying he did get a shave and return to his normal costume once he regained his mind and power after the Horus of Two Horizons events...

Not sure how/if this will key into the unlock, but just thought I'd mention it.

waedens
Playtester

Data: Ennead in Tomb vs TLT, OX, Knife Rogue, and Ra Horus.

Tried winning with 2 Solar Flares in play. No unlock.

bolnerap

Relatedly, I just tried self-incapping Horus Ra with two Solar Flares, Imbued Fire, the Staff, and Flame Barrier in play. That was 20 self-damage just off the Solar Flares...

I've been running Ra (or Horus Ra), F5 Legacy, Omni-X, and PW Argent Adept to help Ra do all the things, vs. Ennead in Tomb of Anubis, and I'm clearly missing something. Team comp? Villain? Environment? Many of the Fall of the Variants unlocks required a particular environment. And since we don't have Ft. Adamant yet... I'm at a loss. 

I think if I give this another shot tomorrow I'll make sure a Fanatic is on the team.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Could it be something he CAN’T  have in play like his staff?

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Chasejyd

Also not:

Defeat the Ennead with no hero except Ra dealing any damage.

waedens
Playtester

Ok. I am a little.frustrated with this one. The letters page (listened both to Ra and Ennead episodes) indicates Ra joins forces with Anubis and the defeats the Ennead before taking them to fight Oblivaeon. There is no mention of any other hero or anything.

I have defeated the enyire Ennead with Anubis in play and multiples of Ra's ongoings and got nothing.

My only oyher guess is to go through Ra's entire cycle. Losing to the Ennead and then making sure to encounter Ammit (not sure if I need to win or lose there so maybe do both?). And then go back and beat the Ennead.

Well I guess I wl start trying that stuff, but it feels like I am grabbing at straws.

NinjaMonkey

If this unlock involves the lead up to their final battle against Oblivaeon, than shouldn't Ra be leading the team against the Ennead. After all, it was Ra that went to convince the Ennead to fight. And since this game isn't 1 hero versus the villain I think Ra would have to be the one to defeat most if not all of the Ennead to simulate it was Ra And Ra alone who faced the Ennead. And since a battle like that would take a lot out of Ra and we know Ra succeeded, I'd imagine he would need to be low on health in the end, maybe below 10 or even as low as 1.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Fanatic was mentioned as well

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

waedens
Playtester

No go on the cycle theory for me. Maybe it is something obscure like Ra cannot gain life...

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

waedens wrote:

No go on the cycle theory for me. Maybe it is something obscure like Ra cannot gain life...

The problem with the cycle theory is we already had to do part of it to unlock his first variant. I doubt we would need to recreate it again.  Using his variant may be part of the unlock though.  

You know that it’s traditional this time of year to give gifts,  perhaps a hint could come from on high :)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It hasn’t been a week since release so I doubt a hint is coming yet.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

waedens
Playtester

I have already had Ra defeat every member of the Ennead in a game. Maybe ypu need to do it and have Anubis in play at the end of the game.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

waedens wrote:

I have already had Ra defeat every member of the Ennead in a game. Maybe ypu need to do it and have Anubis in play at the end of the game.

I did that a while back and said so earlier.

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Worth noting there's no stream this week, so I wouldn't expect a hint on Tuesday, either.

bolnerap

I've been giving it a game or two a day, but no luck yet. A couple of thoughts I had to help us narrow the potential focus a bit:

- If there's an environment requirement, we can be pretty sure it's at least on Earth. I've been mostly running Tomb of Anubis, but I may be off base. I'm considering moving over to Freedom Tower or Megalopolis for a few matches.

- If there's a party comp requirement (or non-requirement, as it were), we may need to think about excluding the F5 variants, if not the F5 in general, given the timing of the ARG comic of End of Days (it cuts off before F5 #800, which is where the F5 variants come in). I had been running a team including F5 Legacy and F5 Bunker to help Ra do All The Things, but that may have been a bad idea.

- The ARG comic mentions "the heroes" over and over but only actually names Ra and Fanatic. I'm still going with the theory that Fanatic needs to be on the team in some form.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

Worth noting there's no stream this week, so I wouldn't expect a hint on Tuesday, either.

True but the weekly one shot may be a clue as it has been in the past

Chasejyd

Well, someone has it, it looks like. So maybe more info will be forthcoming soon.

TheRebelYell

Any more info on that chasejyd ?

Mark Adler

bolnerap

If they're referring to someone having the Steam achievement, that could just be a dev or a beta tester. 

Chasejyd

Probably just devs and beta testers. Wondering if the weekly challenge is a hint -- working on that now.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Handelabra hasn't tweeted or retweeted it yet, so I doubt it. I'm getting a little tired of shooting blind, though. Had some pretty fun games but no unlock.

The weekly one-shot is not a hint. John created it on Steam based on viewer suggestions.

Submit your games here!

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:

Handelabra hasn't tweeted or retweeted it yet, so I doubt it. I'm getting a little tired of shooting blind, though. Had some pretty fun games but no unlock.

The weekly one-shot is not a hint. John created it on Steam based on viewer suggestions.

I sorta assumed even if we had an unlock that an official post wouldn’t happen until today at the earliest.  Even game designers take time off for the Holidays 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I don't think the One-Shot should be taken as a hint, as it was created by Twitch viewers during the stream last week. I mean, I guess it could be some kind of stealth hint, but I highly doubt it.

Pages