The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sergeant Steel Reference

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
allstar64
allstar64's picture
Sergeant Steel Reference

I just want to say if you only play the Sentenels Video game you might want to check out my related topic here before reading this one.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/337150/discussions/0/1368380934244754312/

So I just finished my first game of Villains of the multiverse (Ranatic, Scholar, Guise, and  Bunker vs Greazer, Sergeant Steel, Miss Information, and Biomancer). After a close win (Biomancer did not want to die but Scholar eventually put him down) I started my usual post using a new deck ritual of going through all the cards, seeing the ones that I missed and reading the little comic on each. Now during the game Sergeant Steel had gotten a rather raw deal. First Fanatic had End of Days away his whole team, and then she had used Wrathful Retribution on him at 1 hp basically one shotting him so he never really got a chance to show off any of his stuff.

The first thing that caught my eye was his birth place, New York, New York. Like me. Hey I already feel a connection to this guy! The first card listed was Arsonator and his little comic mentions how he doesn't speak much because his lungs don't work. "Hey just like the Pyro in Team Fortress 2" I think to myself. Next card is the Battle Medic. "Hey a battle medic *thinking pause* just like in Team Fortress 2? Hey wait a minute." So I look at all his cards at once and begin to see more and more familiar faces. I count up the number of Agents and sure enough there are 9 (counting Sergeant Steel) and each one of them is a mirror of the 9 mercenaries (playable characters) from Team fortress 2. Coincidence? Maybe but the resemblance is so blatent that I'm sure it couldn't be so I begin to search teh internets to see if I could get confirmation.

Although there is nothing on the Wiki about the reference there is one topic on BGG where someone else noticed the resemblance too:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1516951/sergeant-steel

So then I searched this site for the word Team Fortress and would you look at what I found:
https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/team-fortress-2

I don't know about you but it seems pretty compelling to me cool

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Yeah. I noticed this long before I had Villains, from reading jdougan's spreadsheet. I was actually kind of disappointed the characters didn't look more like the TF2 when I finally saw the deck! XD

I'm honestly just glad that this game can get away with references to more than just comic books. :)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Cool

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I wonder how you'll react to discovering Plague Rat's new Revocorp handelers...

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

There is a ghost of a chance you'll recognise them.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Apparently my response regarding the handlers was eaten by the internet...

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Blackfang108 wrote:

I'd assume Plague Rat not the handlers would be eating things.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Blackfang108
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Blackfang108 wrote:

I'd assume Plague Rat not the handlers would be eating things.  

And I just realized who that makes Plague Rat...  Green, eats everything...