The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels Tactics Minis

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
ericksonm1029
Sentinels Tactics Minis

I am not sure if it is just the minis i got or not, but i feel as though the minis are very poor quality most of the minis do not fit into the bases very well and if you put them into the base upside down they fit but do not stay in the base very well. I really like this game, but do not understand the idea of the removeable base. I paid a lot of money for this game (got the painted and non painted ones from the kick starter), and i just wanted really good quality minis. this being said i think the sculpts are pretty good some of them are hard to tell who they are, but that is one reason i got the painted ones. I am just wondering other peoples opion on this to see if other people are having the same problems. Sorry for the rant ish nature of this post. Looking foward to hear what people have to say.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Minis not precisely fitting into bases is as old as miniatures. That's why every good gamer has a fine, sharp knife on hand.

Myself, I'm pretty happy with it. They're sturdy and clear to me. I didn't have any issues, apart from having to shave a couple feet slightly.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

The bases are transparent so you can see the hex (and its elevation) the unit is standing on.  If it weren't removable, then painting the minis would result in lots of paint accidentally splashed on the base, which wouldn't be so good.  So making the bases removable seems to me like a reasonable thing to do.

I haven't found the minis to be low quality at all.  Some of the details are kind of shallow, meaning that you have to be careful when laying down paint that you don't cover up the detail, but I wasn't too bothered by it.

Sounds like if you're getting the painted minis, you'll be all set in any case though, yeah?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

ericksonm1029

ok i will try to get some knives ( i think i have a set) to get them to fit better. i am kinda new to mini and have never seen mini with a removeable base before, but your explaination makes sence. the details of the sculpts are fine, other than it being a little hard to tell who some of the characters are, but only some. (ie. wraith is the one who comes to mind) Good to hear other opinions though.

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

I am brand new to any miniatures of any kind and I think these look and feel fantastic. I just glued mine into their bases last night, as a matter of fact and couldn't be happier! Only one Proletariat needed to be told his foot was too large. All in all, though, I'm very excited that I had this practice so that when my painted ones come in, I'll feel more confident that they will hold and look glorious! I think that calling them 'poor quality' is wildly underselling them.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Just toss the minis in the freezer for about half an hour. Then, pull them out and put them in their bases. As they warm up, they'll expand to fit the bases!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Does that trick work with other things?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

ericksonm1029

the freezer thing is actually a good idea thanks a lot i will try that when i get home.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:

Just toss the minis in the freezer for about half an hour. Then, pull them out and put them in their bases. As they warm up, they'll expand to fit the bases!

That is both awesome and hilarious. laugh

Pydro wrote:

You're just on a roll, lately, aren't you? wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Don't try it with Ice Cream, it just gets messy.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If you put minis in the freezer, what impact (if any) does it have on the paint?

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Would depend on the type of paint you used, how long the mini was subjected to the deep freeze, etc.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

And if you glossed or did not.

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Let's say acrylic paint, topped with some Krylon sealant, for 20-30 minutes.

The point of putting the minis into the freezer is to get the plastic to shrink. The question is, how well will the paint (and the sealant) shrink along with the mini? I don't know what these sculpts are made out of and I'm finding radically differing values for coefficient of thermal expansion for acrylic depending on the manufacturing method (few of which happen to be "applied as paint" and even those vary based on the specific paint mixture).

So, the scientific answer is a bit impractical to come by at the moment. I'll settle for anecdotal evidence.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Ooh, that is a good question. I really have NO idea! So, be careful when freezing your painted minis.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What you could do is, instead, heat up the bases so they expand. Since they aren't painted, there's less that can go wrong. Obviously, you don't want to get them too hot, but I imagine a hairdryer or letting them sit in some hot water for a little bit might do the trick.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

In my previous modeling knowledge. With plastic models and pewter, with a variety of acrylic paints (citadel Vallejo, primarily but many others too) there has never been a paint issue with freezing models. I've done it to fit pieces and to brittle glue to break them off bases. This is with primed, in glossed, but painted models just fine.

Lynkfox.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

grysqrl wrote:

What you could do is, instead, heat up the bases so they expand. Since they aren't painted, there's less that can go wrong. Obviously, you don't want to get them too hot, but I imagine a hairdryer or letting them sit in some hot water for a little bit might do the trick.

Heating the base to expand has one small problem. The hole will contract as the plastic expands. Not dilate.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Greywind wrote:

Heating the base to expand has one small problem. The hole will contract as the plastic expands. Not dilate.

I'm just waiting for Pydro to swing by again...

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

So put the base in the freezer =)

I'll be keeping the base/mini separate in a baggie with the cards for each character, so it's a little bit of sandpaper/knife for me.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Mezike wrote:

Greywind wrote:

I'm just waiting for Pydro to swing by again...

Me too!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Heating the base actually does dilate the hole, though I it's a little bit counterintuitive. This isn't a perfect analogy, but imagine that you have a flat sheet of silly putty and you draw a circle in the center of it. Then you stretch the sheet to be 10% bigger. The circle stretches with it, also becoming 10% bigger. This is what would happen with the hole. You are probably imagining that the material at the outer edge of the plastic expands out and the material at the inner edge of the hole expands inward, but that isn't what happens. Everything expands outward.

eric.d.m.miller
Playtester

I have to agree that the miniatures are not as high quality as I initially expected.

$40.00 for a box of miniatures is quite steep, especially considering the size. To have them made out of such soft, flexible material was really disappointing. They are going to be very hard to paint, because pretty much every part of the mini will flex and bend, cracking or otherwise separating the paint.

The bases being transparent, I can understand. The bases being very roughly fashioned so that they aren't so much transparent as translucent, I can't.

To the players saying it was necessary to make the bases out of clear acrylic in order to see through them, can you actually see through yours? They aren't completely obscured from the manufacturing process/scratches/imperfections?

I have to say that this is the first time I've been disappointed with a Greater Than Games product, and it's not a huge problem, but I do feel a bit let down with the miniatures considering their price point.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

eric.d.m.miller wrote:

To the players saying it was necessary to make the bases out of clear acrylic in order to see through them, can you actually see through yours?

Yep

eric.d.m.miller wrote:

They aren't completely obscured from the manufacturing process/scratches/imperfections?

Nope

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Me too.  I can see right through mine and they have no significant scratches or imperfections in them.

ericksonm1029

First of all i tired the freezer trick last night and it worked...well enough. the figures now stay in the base, but the holes in the base do not seem to be wide enough for the character to fit perfectly, but it works. In response to eric.d.m.miller's post, i do have to say i love this game one of my favorites, but the minis just seem a little on the low quality side. i kinda under stand the removable base thing, but  i see it as a minor downside to them. the sculpts themselves are fine. Anyways i will hold my judgement until i get the painted ones, but so far the minis are not worth the money i gave toward the kickstarter, but the game defiently is.

eric.d.m.miller
Playtester

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

After years of dealing with Gamesworkshop and their idea of 'quality' minis, I have no complaint of these. I may just be jaded. But the flexibility is a plus to me, given how rough play time can be. No chance of accidental snappage of say, proletariat s hammer top, or some of the citiziens appendages/ weapons.

Detail wise I've seen better, but for the price it's not bad at all to me. Several unique sculpts in one box is pretty on par for what I'm used to.

Lynkfox.

mlangsdorf

eric.d.m.miller wrote:

They are going to be very hard to paint, because pretty much every part of the mini will flex and bend, cracking or otherwise separating the paint.

Dozens of people have painted the Sentinels miniatures, and hundreds if not thousands have painted Reaper Bones (that are made from the same material at roughly the same level of detail), and I've never heard any reports of paint cracking when the miniature was flexed. I know I bent the energy fields repeatedly on Citizens Truth and Dare while I was painting them, and looking at the figures right now there aren't cracks in the paint.

eric.d.m.miller wrote:

The bases being very roughly fashioned so that they aren't so much transparent as translucent, I can't. To the players saying it was necessary to make the bases out of clear acrylic in order to see through them, can you actually see through yours?

They're 90-95% translucent to me. I can totally see through them and haven't noticed any scratches or imperfections from the manufacturing process.

Perhaps you should try painting the miniatures or playing the game with the figures on the bases before complaining?

(As a side note, the first Reaper Bones boxed set I saw was $43 for 21 figures, including a large figure about the size of Omnitron. Reaper Minis has better economies of scale than GtG, so getting 24 figures for $40 seems like a good deal to me.)

eric.d.m.miller
Playtester

Perhaps you should stop making condescending assumptions.

Bones minis are twice the size. Probably 3 times the volume of material per miniature.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Bones are 25mm heroic scale. Which is about the standard. Not seeing where the Tactics minis are on the small size in comparison.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Calm, people.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

mori57
Playtester

I just scrubbed my first box of minis tonight with the hot soapy water thing, so I'm hoping to start some painting soon, myself. I'm just wondering: has anyone completed any minis, and are you going to post pictures? :)

Also, what are you folks using for color ref? Just the colors on the boxes?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

See this thread https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/painted-sentinel-tactics-minis-... for examples of what has been done

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rath
Playtester

Has anyone found a good primer for the minis? Because my Krylon Colormaster resulted in me having to take a toothbrush to Omnitron.

itsshortstuff
Playtester

I just used white krylon from Michael's, worked pretty well.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

In this topic I describe my horrifying experience trying to primer my minis with what's essentially white glue in a spray can, and go on to find the bestest primer in the world.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yep. Citadel Fo Life.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector