The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: The card game: The webcomic

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
X-metal
X-metal's picture
Sentinels of the Multiverse: The card game: The webcomic

Based off a short conversation in this thread

so in the above mentioned thread I had a short conversation with Donner about the idea of a sentinels webcomic using images from the cards in the game akin to a screw cap comic. (And possibly images from the rpg rule books). I am willing to do this (now that I have a new computer) but I'm probably gonna need some help because, while I own almost every card in the game I do not have any of the images on my computer physically. Also: I need plot help. We have plenty of images to use and put into various orders. 

anybody who wants to help: click here for a link to the discussion doc.

So... What do you guys think? Will you help me? Will I be sued by Adam and Christopher?

His name is Sephiroth but his friends call him Sephie.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

There are options for how to run the story.  Is it a group playing super-hero games together?  Is it an attempt to re-hash the existing story visually?

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

I would be happy to help with a plot, but I can’t tell you about the legal stuff or turning the images into digital ones.

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I don't think I'll gt sued so long as I credit adam and make sure I make it clear I don't own the images. I mean, have you seen how many comics use sprites and images from other media. Like darths & droids for example.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Why not just ask? [shrug] Christopher and Paul are both fairly easy to get in touch with, after all.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

X-metal wrote:

I don't think I'll gt sued so long as I credit adam and make sure I make it clear I don't own the images. I mean, have you seen how many comics use sprites and images from other media. Like darths & droids for example.

I agree with Jeysie that asking is a good step. Not claiming ownership and giving credit to the owners does not absolve someone of copyright infringement. Now, the transformative act of remixing the images to tell an original story can get you a long way for a fair use argument (obligatory “I am not a lawyer”), but a “used with permission” is better.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I'm basically a "take the most efficient usable approach" sort of person.

You could sit here and try to have an abstract third-party debate about the topic despite (AFAIK) none of us being lawyers...

...or since in this case we happen to be in a fandom with creators who make themselves approachable, you could just, like, approach them.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Jeysie wrote:

Why not just ask? [shrug] Christopher and Paul are both fairly easy to get in touch with, after all.

because I'm terrified.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

X-metal wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

because I'm terrified.

Don't be, they're both super-nice, and the worst that can happen is that they say no. :)

P.S. This is not me saying that Adam isn't also nice, just that I haven't had much of an opportunity to talk to him personally yet.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Jeysie wrote:

P.S. This is not me saying that Adam isn't also nice, just that I haven't had much of an opportunity to talk to him personally yet.

Nah, don't. He's absolutely horrible. I mean, he hangs out with those...  *whispers* cultists

I'm totally kidding, of course! 

Yeah, for things like this, feel free to send them a message. If they don't have time to respond, they don't have time, but at least you've tried. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Jeysie wrote:

X-metal wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

because I'm terrified.

Don't be, they're both super-nice, and the worst that can happen is that they say no. :)P.S. This is not me saying that Adam isn't also nice, just that I haven't had much of an opportunity to talk to him personally yet.

im kind of more terrified of making a fool of myself

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

X-metal wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

Don't be, they're both super-nice, and the worst that can happen is that they say no. :)P.S. This is not me saying that Adam isn't also nice, just that I haven't had much of an opportunity to talk to him personally yet.

Trust me, Paul is pretty forgiving.

(To deflect the inevitable question: I am basically sometimes not the most eloquent of beings when I am in the middle of a depressed/self-loathing episode.)

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

X-metal wrote:

Jeysie wrote:
 X-metal wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

because I'm terrified.

Hey, I direct message Christopher about how badly I'm misspelling character/concept names almost every week for my podcast write-ups and he's never been anything but friendly.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

X-metal wrote:

My rule of thumb when I'm hestitating on decisions like this is that if I ask I might end up regretting it.  But if I don't ask, I know that I'll end up regretting the might-have-beens.  Reminding myself of this fact makes it much easier to gather my courage.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I've PMd Paul in the past to ask about stuff and it's always been fine - don't worry about it :). I mean, if you're not sure what to say then you can just say "Hey, I wondered if you'd seen this thread...<link to thread> and if that would be okay?". That way you don't need to think up any new things to say :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Now, if you ever have to deal with me, hold onto your hat. It'll be a wild ride.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Ameena wrote:

I've PMd Paul in the past to ask about stuff and it's always been fine - don't worry about it :). I mean, if you're not sure what to say then you can just say "Hey, I wondered if you'd seen this thread...<link to thread> and if that would be okay?". That way you don't need to think up any new things to say :).

for giving me that sentence you have now given me permission to throw you under the bus if things go wrong. Kidding!

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Now I just have to work up my courage. Deep breaths X, deep breaths.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

In the most recent editor's note, Christopher and Adam seemed to heartily endorse the idea of any animators out there doing their own Sentinels cartoon...

#BringDebbieBack

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Trajector wrote:

In the most recent editor's note, Christopher and Adam seemed to heartily endorse the idea of any animators out there doing their own Sentinels cartoon...

#BringDebbieBack

#sparks

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I'm just going to go for it and ask for permission. As soon as I remember who I'm supposed to be asking. I'm supposed to be asking Adam right? It is his art after all.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Hah! I did I it! Oh my god! I never thought I could actually do it! That was a rush! Now I just need to wait for a reply.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Hey guys! Guess what! Adam said he didn't have a problem with this so long as it's credited properly and not monetized! I must admit I'm a little giddy.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

X-metal wrote:

Hey guys! Guess what! Adam said he didn't have a problem with this so long as it's credited properly and not monetized! I must admit I'm a little giddy.

Congratulations!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

X-metal
X-metal's picture

arenson9 wrote:

X-metal wrote:

Congratulations!

thanks. 

Now that that's taken care of: I need to take care of plot stuff, obtaining images, and all that stuff.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I made a discussion doc. Come check it out.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Wel, the wiki has lots of art and I should be able to use those to at least make something. Probably gonna be a lot of talking scenes.