The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels of Earth-Prime Press Release

356 posts / 0 new
Last post
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Thanks for mentioning Whoop-Ant, that the distinct character name I needed to start finding resources (the wiki and Freedom City Encyclopedia).

Looking through stuff, what I'd really like to see is:

• Argo: An android that duplicates hero powers.  I can't even imagine how that would work, but it would be fascinating.
  • The Collective: A colony of mutant, energy-absorbing cockroaches?  That's new.
  • The Green Man and his Brides: We haven't had a plant-based character yet (outside of the Cauldron), and this could be an interesting mini-team like the Chairman and Operative, or could be more like the Ennead where he starts with just one and could draw the others.
  • Kaiju Island: Need I say more?
  • Silver Scream: Transforms into movie monsters.  Awesome.
  • The Loa: A new Ennead based on the Voodoo pantheon?
  • Toy Boy: "Deadly toys and games," meh.  But his gangsters are actual cartoon characters!

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Thanks for linking those; I just did my own wiki dive, and there's some cool stuff in their mythos I'd like to see done.

Given what I've seen, I've got two pretty safe predictions I'm going to make on the release.

1) Since the box is meant to be standalone, it should have similar breakdown to the current Sentinels core box (10 heroes, 4 villains, 4 environments).**
2) M&M has their own version of The Sentinels; I expect at least half of the heroes in the set to comprise members of this list. (Maybe founding members)

** Given the statements of the two products being combined, I would guess hero decks need to be substitutable. Beyond that? Could be completely different play modes for everything else, so those numbers are up in the air. But if they're copying the engine verbatim, then I would expect it to match the core game.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

bobbertoriley wrote:
1) Since the box is meant to be standalone, it should have similar breakdown to the current Sentinels core box (10 heroes, 4 villains, 4 environments).**2) M&M has their own version of The Sentinels; I expect at least half of the heroes in the set to comprise members of this list. (Maybe founding members)
Really?  The Sentinels?

That's possible, and could be interesting due to some more off-beat members, but my first thought was - as you also assume - we were probably looking at 10 Heroes and 4 Villains... and there are 10 members of The Freedom League.  So, the core set seems liable to heavily feature them, with maybe one or two skipped over (most likely Star Knight - the League is pretty heavy on "Flying Brick" types, and she's even the secondary powered armor person) to work in some designer favorite(s).  My vote for that slot would be Lantern Jack, but a teen hero or Sentinel may be more likely.

For villains, I still think Stratos and Overshadow will be there right out the gate.  Omega is trickier - he's the highest-profile villain, but conceptually similar enough to Oblivaeon that they may want to hold off.  My wish list is mentioned above, though I'll add The Collective.  Christopher may wish to do Dr. Sin, if he has any leftover ideas from a Zhu Long concept which never quite got made (I may be projecting here).

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:

Thanks for mentioning Whoop-Ant

I just REALLY want at least ONE insect/bug themed hero as an official Sentinels deck...

Bigbywolfe

bobbertoriley wrote:

**2) M&M has their own version of The Sentinels; I expect at least half of the heroes in the set to comprise members of this list. (Maybe founding members) **

Sentinels of the Multiverse didn't feature a team with "sentinels" in their name until the 5th (?) expansion. I hardly think the fact that Sentinels of Earth Prime uses a similar name to the original game means it will feature the team that happens to be names "Sentinels" in that universe.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Wasn't aware of Freedom League during my wiki dive, so I read The Sentinels as the main group of heroes when I found them. And as mentioned by Ironic, Sentinels also has 10 members, so it sounded right to me.

Either way, there's a couple heroes from that group that I'd like to see (Princess looks like a fun take on tanks and reminds me a lot of a Young Legacy without laser eyes)

Sorry for being wrong on the internet, guys. :/

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Subject yourself to 3 memes and a Rick Roll, and you shall be forgiven.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

No, Bobber, this is my bad.  I shouldn't have been so dismissive, it's just that my perspective is a little different.

I focus on the League, because I played M&M in the early 2000s, when (1) that team, and the Freedom City setting it represents, was the clear focus of the line, and (2) neither Emerald City nor its Sentinels existed yet.  But 3rd edition introduced Emerald City as the new Center Of Everything, which was probably a good call, since most of its stuff is less directly a shout-out to assorted existing properties.  Viewed in that light, some Emerald City Sentinels material is more or less gaurenteed - though I am still hoping for a mix of both editions.

The League people I most want to see are Metropolis (did I mention that I like Dr. Metropolis?) and Daedalus (because I like powered armor, but hate Bunker's deck); meanwhile, the Sentinels who speak to me are Vortex (teleportation!), and Dragoneye (surely, there is a lot of fertile ground in a "spells and incorporeality" character without Nightmist's "chaos and self-damage" theme).  And I hope that we get either Xeno or Pseudo, for some more open-ended shapeshifting than Naturalist has, though both of them would likely be overkill.

I don't really know anything about the Emerald City villains, so I have less to add on that front.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

geoff907
Playtester

Definitely interested to see what the kickstarter for Earth Prime will offer! Love the Sentinels engine! Also love and play The Cauldron all the time - Matthew Bishop did a wonderful job with countless hours of work put into it. Much respect!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

If I was curious about the Cauldron and wanted to look into it, where could I check it out?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Thank you. Is there any history behind it, or any kind of lore I could look up?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

It's the same principle as Sentinels, comics from a universe we don't inhabit. But you could do worse than look here

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Matthew has the bios on the above lined homepage through Oriphel.

There isn't a lot of history to it, like there wouldn't ever be a letters page level of information and story, that isn't how the Cauldron was created.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I know basically nothing about Mutants and Masterminds, but if this means more Sentinels (in gameplay, if not as far as lore is concerned) then I'm on board!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

Mutants and Masterminds is largely a setting-neutral RPG for playing superheroes. It has its own default setting (Freedom City/Earth Prime) which has a lot in common with Sentinels of the Multiverse, at least in terms of what both set out to do (which is to produce material that feels like superhero comic books - the two are very different in execution).

It has enough setting I think to support a game like this, and we'll get to see similarly powered characters treated differently to distinguish them from each other (both settings have paragons (Superman-like powers), blasters, speedsters, etc. But how each one will be expressed will fit each hero and won't derive from Sentinels of the Multiverse characters so much (Adam was quoted as saying something similar above).

I'm looking forward to it because more decks, more options, more fun. :)

morph147

Question: when they say standalone game does that mean can be played by itself or they r not going to do any expansions for it

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Usually the term refers to the former.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

And the latter almost certainly depends on how well it sells.  

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Wow.

Just two weeks before the kickstarter launches? That is amazingly fast, I might even go so far as to say too fast.

http://greenronin.com/blog/2017/04/03/ronin-roundtable-sentinels-of-earth-prime-card-game-coming-to-kickstarter-this-month/

morph147

Matchstickman wrote:

Wow.Just two weeks before the kickstarter launches? That is amazingly fast, I might even go so far as to say too fast.http://greenronin.com/blog/2017/04/03/ronin-roundtable-sentinels-of-eart...

confused by what you mean Matchstick.

i am kinda excited for this but I will have to wait until it hits FLGS most likely due to baby. Unless the price is right and I can beg my wife

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Well Morp, no one knew this even existed 2 months ago. When I budget for gaming expenses I like to be able to get a feel for the game and mull it over for a good while before I make a decision on it, there has been no release of info, no tease of art or mention of characters that will be included until today. 2 weeks does not give me enough time to really dig into the material and see if there is anything there. And it is rare for me to come back when a campaign is in full swing and check out if anything has changed and possibly pledge if it doesn't wow in the opening pitch.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Yeah I'd like more teaser information than what has been released so far.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:
... there has been no release of info, no tease of art or mention of characters that will be included until today. ...
I don't know about you, but I'm not really plugged in to the relevant streams. Paul earlier indicated that this is primarily a Green Ronin game related to Mutants and Masterminds, and I don't hang out on the relevant forums. There may have been more updates there?
TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh dang, this is exciting though.

I'm never going to have money again. D:

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:
Well Morp, no one knew this even existed 2 months ago. When I budget for gaming expenses I like to be able to get a feel for the game and mull it over for a good while before I make a decision on it, there has been no release of info, no tease of art or mention of characters that will be included until today. 2 weeks does not give me enough time to really dig into the material and see if there is anything there. And it is rare for me to come back when a campaign is in full swing and check out if anything has changed and possibly pledge if it doesn't wow in the opening pitch.
I'm a little confused by this approach.  You want to know that the campaign is going to start well in advance so you can research it and be ready to pledge on day 1?  That's not really the intended model.  Kickstarter is designed such that you read the pitch and have the full campaign period, usually a month or so, to do whatever research you want and then pledge.  So I'd think of it less that you have 2 weeks to get ready for the campaign, and more that you have about 6 weeks to do all the research and then pledge when you're ready as long as it hasn't closed yet.

In other news, looking at that article, it seems that while the heroes use the same general design template as SotM, the villains and environments are replaced by events, specifically invasions (for now).  That's pretty cool--the new "villains" might be designed more like, say, the Dreamer, or Miss Information's and Kaarga's front sides, or, more loosely, like Wager Master when you're forbidden to beat him by HP loss.  Less "big sack of HP you have to deplete" and more "specific tasks/challenges you need to complete".  I like that a lot and it would be a pretty big draw for me.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

I'm not confused by Matchstickman's stance.  This is a game being built upon an already existing system and could immediately get SotM excited about it but very little detail on what they are planning for has been released towards this audience.   I'm not sure what may have been said on their own site forums but it seems strange that they haven't reached out to these forums at all.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Not sure I agree with any of that (and basically in the same camp as MindWanderer). They've made two press releases, given a date on when the Kickstarter will launch, and from the second annoucement gave a glimpse into the content that'll be included (10 heroes/4 villains/4 environments, gave a good idea on the heroes that'll be included by mentioning the freedom league, confirmed it's going to integrate with Sentinels content). About the only thing they haven't shown is what it'll look like and the exact content, and I'm sure that's being saved for the campaign itself.

And as MindWanderer said, you basically have from now until the campaign closes to decide if it's for you or not. Until then, I'm not sure why anyone should feel entitled to be told anything just because it's the Sentinels system with a different coat of paint. In the same way GTG would launch a Sentinels product and choose what information they reveal and when, why should we expect something different from Green Ronin?

Frankly, I'm more surprised that Paul, Mara, Christopher, et al have been mostly mum about this project in their own community. In the same vein that Green Ronin could be telling us about it, I'm sure they could be drumming up interest in their own community. "Sad to see the Multiverse go? Well, here's more content to play with!" Instead, we're getting a case of the announcements being found by the community itself. That's a real shame in my book.

Powerhound_2000

What you stated is a lot of my point in that what information we have gotten is mostly from these press releases and nothing further.   If it weren't for the community posting them we might not have any idea about this before the KS.  This feels along the same lines as the Foam Brain Game KS for Sentinel Comics merchandise where they launched them without really even letting the main audience for it about it.  I think it's a big miss on their part and GtG's not to reach out to these forums themselves about this.  

morph147

Paul, Mara, and Christopher may be mum due to some kind of gag order? With it being a deal between two companies they may have a contract saying who can say what when. Again I am interested in the product due to my love of SoTM but would love more details to decide if it's a must buy now or wait till it hits FLGS. Especially with money being tight

saykhia
saykhia's picture

morph147 wrote:

Paul, Mara, and Christopher may be mum due to some kind of gag order? With it being a deal between two companies they may have a contract saying who can say what when. Again I am interested in the product due to my love of SoTM but would love more details to decide if it's a must buy now or wait till it hits FLGS. Especially with money being tight

If that is true, it would be a rather silly marketing decision IMO. Sentinels of Earth-Prime, while sharing thematic and gameplay DNA with SotM, simply does not carry the same prestige in these circles. One could say that SotM's best feature is the lore and world-building that comes with every new release and the anticipation that built over a long history of releases and years of teasers. Earth-Prime, being a relatively obscure product in these circles, will simply not create the same level of excitement by a mere mention of its name. So IMO, Earth-Prime WILL require lots more buzz, at least outside the Earth-Prime circles, to achieve similar levels of success. However, I do feel the lack of ongoing marketing is not GtG's new thing - I have always felt many of their own non-SotM products could benefit from a lot more buzz!

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:
I'm a little confused by this approach.  You want to know that the campaign is going to start well in advance so you can research it and be ready to pledge on day 1?  That's not really the intended model.

You don't get to decide what the Kickstarter model is, nor do I (nor does Kickstarter unlesss they enforce it). I don't think the Kickstarter was designed for being used as a pre-order system for games that have already been produced, but companies do use it that way. Kickstarter is as it is used.

Now, I also think that the Kickstarter is not going to get the overlap from the Sentinels community it might have done because although it's not being done by the same company, >G have the OblivAeon kickstarters outstanding and I am reluctant to back a thing that I perceive as coming from the same place as one that still owes me something, and I know others that subscribe to the same "irrationality" that I do.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

saykhia wrote:
Sentinels of Earth-Prime, while sharing thematic and gameplay DNA with SotM, simply does not carry the same prestige in these circles.

Earth-Prime, being a relatively obscure product in these circles, will simply not create the same level of excitement by a mere mention of its name.

Absolutely. But I love superheroes, and I love Mutants & Masterminds and I do travel in RPG circles, and I've heard nothing but the two press releases, not teases, not leaks, not speculation from fans on their forums. It's not a great start (from an outsiders perspective at least).

RPGFanboy
Playtester

When will the kickstarter start this week?

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

Hmm So Sentinels with be getting more Heroes or is this there take on it.

I am Saturated wtih that we have now. I do not get to play enough to play all the heroes even if I wanted to. I though about getting Cauldren But my the total wieght of SOTM is more than all my other games, and takes more space. Going to look at the kick starter and see how I like it. Maybe an intersting hero might change my mind.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

RPGFanboy
Playtester

speedyolrac wrote:

Hmm So Sentinels with be getting more Heroes or is this there take on it.I am Saturated wtih that we have now. I do not get to play enough to play all the heroes even if I wanted to. I though about getting Cauldren But my the total wieght of SOTM is more than all my other games, and takes more space. Going to look at the kick starter and see how I like it. Maybe an intersting hero might change my mind.

Its fully compatible, same designer different artist and publisher.

Basically it's a new starter in a different comic universe.

RPGFanboy
Playtester
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Dangit, why did the Goon RPG  Kickstarter have to come so close on the start of this one?! good thing I'm getting paid this week...

Powerhound_2000

I had hoped the KS might have a bit more information to it.  I'm still at the same point of being uncertain whether I truly want this or not.  

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

They listed all 10 hero decks, the 4 villains, who's taking charge of what portion of development, a whole swath of stretchgoals off the bat...

What kind of info are you wanting?

Powerhound_2000

Background of these heroes and villains.  What environments and their story.  What kind of alterations they plan on making since I doubt this would be exactly like the core SotM game. 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

There's loads of fiction on each of these characters easily accessible that they probably didn't get into because they wanted to get all the important stuff out of the way.

They list the environments in the same place where they announced all the other decks. The environments are Freedom City(the standard version of Metropolis), Farside(Gotham, if I'm not mistaken. I probably am.) City, Tartarus(Self-explanitory), and The Terminus(I'm having trouble with this one, haven't read up on it in a bit).

As for alterations and such, I think they'll either cover that in updates(hasn't funded yet, so let's give them some time) or possibly leave that for players to discover. Don't want to tip your hand right out the gate, right?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

What kind of alterations they plan on making since I doubt this would be exactly like the core SotM game. 

How many alterations do you think are probable or even possible if it's designed to be interchangable with all current SotM products?

As far as story and character lore, this universe has material dating back to 2002 that are probably accesible easily to read up on. It's an RPG based universe so there are likely countless source books

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Personally I'm looking forward to finding out about the new characters and so on the same way I found about the Sentinels Comics ones. :)

I'm really glad they put in an RPG-focused pledge tier. I like the idea and wanted to help towards a digital version but just have no use for offline geek board games any time soon... but on the other hand I totally love reading through RPG sourcebooks.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Powerhound_2000

Foote wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
What kind of alterations they plan on making since I doubt this would be exactly like the core SotM game. 

How many alterations do you think are probable or even possible if it's designed to be interchangable all current SotM products?As far as story and character lore, this universe has material dating back to 2002 that are probably accesible easily to read up on. It's an RPG based universe so there are likely countless source books

Christopher has kept coming up with ones with each expansion that wouldn't have occurred to me with each expansion.  I also don't think it's too much to ask for some bachground on these heroes within the KS.   You're trying to appeal to two groups and a lot won't know anything about the other.  You'll also have people who no background in any of it who you should entice as well if you can. here.   At this point there still isn't enough present that excites me enough to make this an instant buy in.   Maybe some of the updates during the campaign will change my mind. 

saykhia
saykhia's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Foote wrote:
 Powerhound_2000 wrote:

How many alterations do you think are probable or even possible if it's designed to be interchangable all current SotM products?As far as story and character lore, this universe has material dating back to 2002 that are probably accesible easily to read up on. It's an RPG based universe so there are likely countless source books

Christopher has kept coming up with ones with each expansion that wouldn't have occurred to me with each expansion.  I also don't think it's too much to ask for some bachground on these heroes within the KS.   You're trying to appeal to two groups and a lot won't know anything about the other.  You'll also have people who no background in any of it who you should entice as well if you can. here.   At this point there still isn't enough present that excites me enough to make this an instant buy in.   Maybe some of the updates during the campaign will change my mind. 

I am in the same boat as Powerhound_2000 (funny how life has lots of boats without hired security). +1 more detailed background on the Earth-Prime characters.

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

morph147

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Foote wrote:
 Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I have a feeling this will be done in the updates. However I do agree with you some more detail would be nice. I would also like to know how they plan to make sure hero A in Multiverse who is similar to hero A in earth-prime do not become the same deck play style. I would like to see some differences.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I found the Earth-Prime heroes to be more generic than I expected.  I don't see them being compelling enough to make me want to play them over the multitude of SotM decks I've already got, many of which I really love playing but which don't get enough playtime because of the sheer number of fun decks to choose from on game night.  Maybe the Earth-Prime heroes have some super compelling backstory I don't know yet, but I doubt I'll be backing the KS.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Christopher is covering that part of development, so I'm sure that he'll be able to make each deck feel different.

RPGFanboy
Playtester

I'm not a M&M expert, but so far it looks like the Heroes are like (correct me if I am wrong)

Bowman: Arrow, Hawkeye, Parse

Captain Thunder: Superman + Electricity

Daedalus: Greek Gravity Suit Ironman

Dr. Metropolis: Can control and shape urban enviorments, sounds very cool!

Johnny Rocket: Speedster/Tacheon

Lady Liberty: Not sure, Wonder Women vibe?

Pseudo:Shape-shifting telepath

The Raven: Batman/Wraith

Siren: Aquatic and sonic powers, Aquaman + Banshee?

Star Knight: Space Iron Man

So there is only a couple crossovers, and even some of the Sentinel versions (like Parse, nothing like Arrow/Hawkeye) are not like the Marvel/DC inspitarions.

Pages