The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels Digital Speedruns

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nunleft
Nunleft's picture
Sentinels Digital Speedruns

If I am posting this in the wrong board, feel free to move it.

Hello Heroes, Heroines and Villains,

I go by the name Nunleft and am trying to start up a speed running community for the Digital Version of Sentinels of the Multiverse. Here is a link to the current leaderboard-Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PuyN309n5dv6U2EMIhERNwBd9CPX3miBnoUx6CMJiTY/edit#gid=467504186

Criticisms:

The most common criticism of the idea is how you would time the runs. As a result there are two methods and categories of runs: Time Trials and Finesse runs. Time Trials use an independant timer which measures the run in real time. Whereas Finesse Runs go by Number of Rounds > Number of Turns > Number of Cards Played.

The second most common criticism is how much luck is involved. Yea, there kinda is. However, I think we all have played enough Sentinels of the Multiverse to realise that there are certain team compositions which are simply better than others. You can save extremely large ammounts of time just by picking your team carefully. Simply picking a: High Damage Team (maybe with a support to prevent effects) and a low impact environment, will cut times dramatically. The only hard part is execution where times can vary by around a minute.

Catergories

As mentioned before there are currently two timing methods, what I didn't mention is the catergories.

• Single Villain/Single Villain Advanced (Finesse and Time Trial) Defeat a single Villain as fast as possible
  • Chain Runs/Chain Runs Advanced (Time Trial Only) Defeat a set of Villains, back-to-back, as fast as possible
  • Novelty Runs (Time Trial Only) Meet a set of requirements as quickly as possible.

More categories and timing methods can be added as nessicary.

How can you get involved?

Its very easy.

1. Buy a copy of the Digital Version of Sentinels of the Multiverse (and expansions if you want)
  2. Pick a Villain/Villain Chain/Novelty Challenge from the Leaderboard (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PuyN309n5dv6U2EMIhERNwBd9CPX3miBnoUx6CMJiTY/edit#gid=223290240)
  3. Find a Timer. I recommend WSplit (download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6e6g8d0m5daa3q/WSplit_1.5.2.zip)
  4. Find a way to record the run. I recommend Open Broadcaster Software ( http://obsproject.com/)
  5. Try to beat the best time
  6. Have fun
  7. If you are successful, get in contact with me and I will verify and update the Spreadsheet-Leaderboard

Hope this sparks some interest,

Nunleft

Gotta go fast

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

This is phenomenal. I don't have much to contribute, but I love the idea.

As far as RNG goes, well, watch a speedrun of Super Mario RPG sometime...

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Nunleft
Nunleft's picture

Try a Finesse run, all you need is: the digital version and a way of recording. Since the timing is based on the rounds/turns/card plays, you don't need to play stupidly fast like I like to do. Most of the time/moves saved are in the planning phase, through picking team compositions. Here is an example:

I want to beat Normal Baron Blade in the least number of turns, what environment should I pick? Atlantis and Megapopolis both have cards which slow me down, probably should not pick them. Mars Base likes to destroy my stuff and stop damage, however Silver Gulch and Insula Primalis don't destroy my stuff and give me damage boosts. I should pick one of those. Now my Hero composition... I should probably focus on damage and avoid heroes which require a lot of set up. So: I shouldn't pick Absolute Zero or Bunker. This means I should pick...

You get the idea. Picking high set-up and low damage compossitions on a disruptive environment will give you a bad time, the reverse will generally give you a better time. I'm manually maintaining a stat tracker for the induvidual runs, so you can see what heroes are used in the fastest runs. If you want the theory behind my picks (since I am the current leader for all catergories with a submission) just ask.

Gotta go fast

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I had a pretty decent time on the live stream against Baron Blade the other night, even telling Jeremy what to do =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sorry to see there hasn't been more uptake of this idea. Not ready to try this at the moment, but I like the idea.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I like the idea, but I can't time it on my kindle.

Plus I'd have to do the "least number of rounds" concept since I tend to set the game done for long stretches of time.

Nunleft
Nunleft's picture

arenson9 wrote:

Sorry to see there hasn't been more uptake of this idea. Not ready to try this at the moment, but I like the idea.

There is a Finesse Category which might be up your alley, you just need to make the best moves. Just record it and I will count the run. Only one run currently exists in the category and thats taken from a Handelabra Livestream.

Gotta go fast

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

It's the recording part that's putting me off, since I play on ipad.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Nunleft
Nunleft's picture

A quick google search came up with this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/199732/how-to-record-a-video-of-your-iphone-or-ipad%E2%80%99s-screen-from-your-mac/

Might be workable

Gotta go fast

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Nunleft wrote:

A quick google search came up with this:http://www.howtogeek.com/199732/how-to-record-a-video-of-your-iphone-or-... be workable

If I had a mac, maybe! ;)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!