The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinel Tactics Box

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
howler359
howler359's picture
Sentinel Tactics Box

How do you fit everything from the core box and Uprising into the Tactics box?  I'm just not seeing it, at least not when I use all of the handy baggies the game came with.  Nevermind trying to fit the minis in there.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I took out the insert and bagged all the characters individually (their deck, tokens, mini, scenerio cards, minion tokens, ect), bagged the every game stuff (reference cards, turn order tokens, +1 Attack/Defense tokens, Aim/Dodge) in the same bag, and the different environment tokens in their individual bags. The Citizen minis also got their own bag, since there was no way of fitting that into Dawn's, though I had to grab a spare bag for them as I was one shy. Omnitron-V's mini is bagless.

Edit: Oh yeah! I also have the scenerio tokens/cards that are used for multiple scenerios in a bag together.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Can someone please measure the dimensions of the boxes for me please? Trying to work out how the'll fit on my shelves...

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

11-3/8'' x 11-3/8'' x 3-3/4''

And I refuse to put that in metric, no matter how logical it is. I AM AN AMERICAN!!!!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Thank you!

It's fine, I'm bilingual. I tend to measure bigger things in imperial, and smaller ones in metric. The only thing one that gets me is Farenheit - I can only work in Celsius I'm afraid. I'm all like, "40 degrees? Is that, er... cold? Or something?"

Damn it, Ronway!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Here's a tip for that: you know how Celsius is scaled based around the properties of water? 0 is freezing, 100 is boiling?

Fahrenheit is scaled around human life. 0 and 100 are the approximate bounds for human survival. 50 is chilly, 70 is room temperature, and 32 is freezing. 0 is death. (not... really, but it's -14 or so in celsius. very cold.) and 100 is death. (again, approximately. it's about 38 or so.) Ruling out the effects of technology and stuff.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

See, it just doesn't make sense. 50's a big number, 50 should be really hot.

From Wikipedia: On Fahrenheit's original scale the lower defining point was the lowest temperature to which he could reproducibly cool brine (defining 0 degrees), while the highest was that of the average human core body temperature (defining 100 degrees).

I'm afraid cool brine and human body temperature doesn't mean that much to me as a scale!

I'm much more interested in whether it's freezing or not, or whether I'm boiling to death.

In the UK people tend to use F for hot weather, and C for cold weather. "It's supposed to be 100 degrees this weekend, let's go to the beach along with a billion other people and get heatstroke!" contrasts so nicely with "It was so cold when I was walking home from the pub last night - the forecast said -5 but it felt like AT LEAST -6 to me..."

But back on track - who wants to make the first unboxing video?

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Going to the Bears game at night in December is cold, everything else isn't so bad.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Yeah, the Bears will do that to you.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Bears are all, "Grow fur stupid humans."

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I didn't make a video, but there is SO MUCH STUFF! It is awesome. Everything came out beautifully.

defeateddust
defeateddust's picture

To make everything fit I took out all the scenario tokens and character tokens and put them in my empty Infernal Relics/Rook City Box and all of the miniatures are in the Uprising box. Everything else fits nicely in the Main box.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Fitting everything in board game boxes is easy when you find the right place for the molded plastic insert: the recycle bin. Sometimes you can fit several games into one box!

Here's Tactics, bagged and tagged, with plenty of room left for expansion & minis.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Yeah, it made me super sad because I'm usually the guy who will just make it work. But I tossed the insert. I think it may be a first.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm going to try to come up with a laser-cut insert for this. If I figure out something good, I'll share it with everyone.

Bas

I am still hesitant on tossing it out, as I really appreciate it that the insert has card-slots that have been designed for sleeved cards.

However, as I bagged most of the cards with the appropriate hero tokens, I am not using it that efficiently anyways and it will most likely fly out... Just want to appreciate the design a bit longer :-).

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I couldn't bring myself to throw the insert away. Completely irrational, but even though it's not in the box anymore it's also not in the bin...

Damn it, Ronway!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

I couldn't bring myself to throw the insert away. Completely irrational, but even though it's not in the box anymore it's also not in the bin...

It's not totally irrational--I'm the same way right now.  Though, in the meanwhile, my cat has found the insert to be a quite comfortable place for a nap.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Im I the only one who got everything to fit in the insert sans minis? I'll have to take a picture and upload it

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

though it's not in the box anymore it's also not in the bin...

Like Schrodinger's cat.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Foote wrote:

Im I the only one who got everything to fit in the insert sans minis? I'll have to take a picture and upload it

I could fit everything. But not in such a way to be organised the way I wanted it.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Foote wrote:

I could fit everything in besides the minis, however I wanted the minis in there, thus I tossed the insert... Not in the bin though, it's just sitting around right now.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

...watching you...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

imprimis5 wrote:
Foote wrote:

I could fit everything. But not in such a way to be organised the way I wanted it.

Same. 

Damn it, Ronway!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Foote wrote:

I never bothered to try. I'm not a fan of my game components getting all mixed up should I commit the unforgivable sin of turning my box sideways or upside down.

I have things organized by character/environment/misc - each hero has a baggie with cards + tokens + mini for that hero, etc. And that's not possible with the insert too.

Bas

I am impressed that you could fit all the Citizen minis in one of the accompanied baggies ;-)

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Depends if he tried to fit them in while connected to the bases or not.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wait, people aren't leaving the minis out in a cool scene in between plays?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I didn't get any bases for my main minis; an email is in to Jodie (any idea of her typical response time lately?). They will not be on the bases in the baggie. And furthermore, I have other baggies, including larger ones, and teeny tiny ones.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

For people who paint minis:

When you store them, do you just throw them all together into one bag/box/bin/other three-letter b-thing? Or do you have them in divided sections? Do they need padding or some kind of special surface that won't take the paint off or is wood ok? Any other special treatment that one should know about when designing storage?

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

If I glue them to the bases, I might pick up a storage bin that the compartments are just big enough for the mini.

HikariStarshine
Playtester

grysqrl wrote:

For people who paint minis:When you store them, do you just throw them all together into one bag/box/bin/other three-letter b-thing? Or do you have them in divided sections? Do they need padding or some kind of special surface that won't take the paint off or is wood ok? Any other special treatment that one should know about when designing storage?

Heresy, I know, but... Once I'm done painting and everything, I brush on a quick layer of Minwax Polyshades Satin Pecan floor wax.

well, actually, I glue the base to a nail, stick it in a power drill, dip the whole thing, then spin-cycle it upside-down in a cardboard box to get the excess off.  Then once it's dried, detach the nail and lightly sand the bottom to smooth it out.

Anyways.

It's not the preferred method, I know, but it's inexpensive and the stuff is *bulletproof*.  Seriously, I've got another game with minis that I just toss all the minis in a foamcore bin I made to fit the box, without *caring* if they're going to get against each other.  That paint's not coming off.

And there's the added benefit that it gives a touch of contrast to the shadows and such.  I used Antique Walnut on the other game, as it's a dungeon-delvey thing so it's OK that it gave the darker coloration, but Sentinels needs brightness.  I might even switch as far as Honey Pine (the lightest hue available) when I get to my Sentinels and GSF minis.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Holy smokes!  Got any pix of what the minis look like after that shellacking?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Foote wrote:

No, I got everything to fit in with minis. Well, not in the insert per se, but in the box, while preserving the insert.

HikariStarshine
Playtester

I don't have any pics handy, but I'll grab a few of my finished ones when I get home and take a good pic to post.

Seriously, though, the Minwax is surprisingly effective.  You just have to make sure you shake the can *really* well, or you're gonna have a bad time.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm with Spiff - I'd love to see the end result. It sounds absolutely awesome!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Anyone use Future floor wax (old style, not the new one) on minis? I have six huge bottles of the stuff which I bought to use on polymer clay but I hear that some people like it for minis too.

It's basically pure acrylic.

Damn it, Ronway!

HikariStarshine
Playtester

Yeah, the image didn't come out so well, but...  Those minis have been knocking around in a tightly-packed box of plastic, just kind of haphazardly stuffed in there, for close to a year now, and not a bit of damage.  Much to be said for coating them in polyurethane, after all.

carolyn.r.choate
carolyn.r.choate's picture

Ronway wrote:

I took out the insert and bagged all the characters individually (their deck, tokens, mini, scenerio cards, minion tokens, ect), bagged the every game stuff (reference cards, turn order tokens, +1 Attack/Defense tokens, Aim/Dodge) in the same bag, and the different environment tokens in their individual bags. The Citizen minis also got their own bag, since there was no way of fitting that into Dawn's, though I had to grab a spare bag for them as I was one shy. Omnitron-V's mini is bagless. Edit: Oh yeah! I also have the scenerio tokens/cards that are used for multiple scenerios in a bag together.

I love that idea! I have all the like-elements baged together but I am going to change it now so the characters are bagged with all their specific things!

chainsawrabbit
chainsawrabbit's picture

carolyn.r.choate wrote:

Ronway wrote:
I took out the insert and bagged all the characters individually (their deck, tokens, mini, scenerio cards, minion tokens, ect), bagged the every game stuff (reference cards, turn order tokens, +1 Attack/Defense tokens, Aim/Dodge) in the same bag, and the different environment tokens in their individual bags. The Citizen minis also got their own bag, since there was no way of fitting that into Dawn's, though I had to grab a spare bag for them as I was one shy. Omnitron-V's mini is bagless. Edit: Oh yeah! I also have the scenerio tokens/cards that are used for multiple scenerios in a bag together.

I love that idea! I have all the like-elements baged together but I am going to change it now so the characters are bagged with all their specific things!

I thought about doing this, but I'm worried the miniatures will get crushed during handling or something.  My games travel a lot, since amongst my board gaming friends, I own most of the games, but nobody wants to come to my place to play.  Currently, the minis travel around in the Uprising box.  I'm going to print off Spiff's nifty card envelopes, and after that, I may look in to getting a few deck boxes to protect the minis, so they're only bouncing off a few of each other rather than the weight of every other game piece and I can keep everything in one box (thereby preserving increasingly scarce shelf space).

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Once my minis are painted, I'm going to go all miniature gamer geek and put them in a metal case with that foam stuff that looks like egg boxes that I don't know the name of. I'm sure it has a name, and I'm equally sure that someone here will enlighten me soon enough... ;)

Right now the minis are in their original boxes and will stay that way until painting happens. I'm too colour-orientated to be able to use them and distinguish between them when they are all the same colour, so right now the tokens are better.

Damn it, Ronway!

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Gonna need to shalac these minis, if you dont prime. Paints are coming off in my hand (holding proletariats head to paint his boots, ive had to repaint his head a few times) - May be that i didnt get all the release agent off the model, but a gloss will be good on them. (or a matte, if thats your preference)

Have to inkwash and garnish my Proletariat and then he'll be done. Probably moving on to Tachyon next.

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Now I'm no painting expert but I hear that gloss then matte is the way forward. Gloss gives the protection, and matte stops it looking like the shiniest thing in the world.

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

Now I'm no painting expert but I hear that gloss then matte is the way forward. Gloss gives the protection, and matte stops it looking like the shiniest thing in the world.

And then, as you start seeing the gloss emerge from under the matte due to wear, you know to re-mattify it before you wear the gloss to the paint.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Rabit wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:

And then, as you start seeing the gloss emerge from under the matte due to wear, you know to re-mattify it before you wear the gloss to the paint.

That's a very good point. If all you have is matte (which is much less durable than gloss) then you might not notice the mini needs recoating until the paint starts coming off.

Damn it, Ronway!

HikariStarshine
Playtester

OK, so, here's my approach (though its going to have to be modified somewhat with having to glue figs to bases):

1: prepare a bowl with water and dish detergent. Immerse the figs in the bowl. Using a new, cheap toothbrush, scrub them like crazy, then rinse and allow to dry.

2: when figs are dry, use blu-tack to mount them on nails or some other form of handle. Make sure to wear the rubber-like gloves of your choice during this. This is important, as it will keep you from having to touch the fig between washing it and the end of the process.

3: prime. The color of your primer matters! I'd suggest white for this, as you want the comic book POP in those figs. This is a very very thin layer; make sure you don't obscure any details. Its also crazy important, though.

4: paint. Pretty straightforward, this... but remember, paint from the inside out. Skin, then spandex, then cape.

4a: contrast. If you're using a clear sealant, you'll want some kind of super-thin, dark whatever to use for this. Its going to pool in the places where shadows would fall.

5: seal. This is that thing I do with the drill like I said. Prooooobably want to mount on the bases first.

6: degloss. I use a clear semi matte spray for this, over the seal.