The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Santa Guise&Fixer Rules Question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony
Santa Guise&Fixer Rules Question

It's been a long time since I've posted a rules thread. But last night playing we came to a few situations that I didn't exactly know 100% how to handle.

- So, Santa lets Expat open her two gifts on his turn. It turns out that both gifts were the Submachine Gun. To make matters slightly worse for our Expat player, he already had a copy of Submachine Gun in play. What happens here?

A) The two opened Sub Gun go straight to the trash (since the card is Limited and there was already a copy in play)

B) The two opened Sub Guns get to say in play (since you never would have the choice to play a Limited card if there was already a copy)

- Mr. Fixer is the only hero with an equipment card in play (Pipe Wrench). Chokepoint plays Shocking Animation and enchants his Wrench. The Fixer player decides to play Tire Iron on his next turn, which would under normal situations return the Wrench back into his hand when the Tire Iron comes into play. Shocking Animation however says that if the Wrench would leave play it would go facedown into her play area. What happens here?

A) Wrench must go back into players hand

B) Wrench must go facedown in Chokepoints area

C) Players choice due to simultanious triggers and/or unclear interaction

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

On the first question any revealed Limited Cards in play just hit the trash if a copy is already in play.

For the second one I would think they are simultaneous amd would be player choice.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

On the first question any revealed Limited Cards in play just hit the trash if a copy is already in play.For the second one I would think they are simultaneous amd would be player choice.  

This was my immediate intuition as well. I'm just not sure if I'm entirely correct.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Shocking Animation would cause the card to go face-down in Chokepoint's play area. Since the card would leave play if it were to go into the hand. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Foote wrote:

This was my immediate intuition as well. I'm just not sure if I'm entirely correct.

Well, I think you're entirely correct, but that might not be good news...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I agree that the limited cards don't stay in play. However I think that the Wrench goes to Chokepoint and they are not simultaneous.

Consider the new ruling where a hero is incapped by with Unforgiving Wasteland is in play. The hero should be destroyed, and there are two possible destinations for this action: 1) Incapped 2) Remove from the game. Both of these are triggering at the same time off of the action of being destroyed, so you can choose what happens.

Here, it seems to me, it is very different. Let's say the Wrench was destroyed and not returned to your hand. I think everyone agrees that it goes to Chokepoint, because her ability is reacting and replacing that effect (as it is supposed to). Returning a card to your hand acts at the same time as destroying. Both of them are the key parts of the card leaving play. It doesn't say "remove the card from play and then return to your hand" but just "return to your hand". The returning is the same timing effect as destroying and is replaced by Chokepoints ability.

In other words, by Unforgiving Wasteland, something is being destroyed, and you can choose where to go. Here, there is no intial step, the returning the card is the inherent part of the leaving play, not the destination of the leaving play, and would be replaced by Chokepoint.

EDIT: Ronway Ninja!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Makes total sense to me. Glad you all cleared that up.