The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Regular Indianapolis Meetups

517 posts / 0 new
Last post
bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Sent an e-mail today as I had received no response. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, we can try to pursue other options. I still think this may be one of the best options, but the manager is being ellusive.

BuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBudda

“Heh, pow. Sound effects are the best.” –The Idealist

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Good news everyone! I received a reply that Pure will be happy to host us. I just have to get the e-mail back confirming that our next meetup will be next Tuesday (April 15th) at 6, but we should be all set!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

bessyrocks12 wrote:

Good news everyone! I received a reply that Pure will be happy to host us. I just have to get the e-mail back confirming that our next meetup will be next Tuesday (April 15th) at 6, but we should be all set!

Fantastic!

http://pureeatery.com/

http://pureeatery.com/menu.html

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Alright, we are set for next Tuesday, April 15th, from 6-10 PM at Pure Eatery. Thank you to Andy for posting the links. The best place for parking is either behind the Murphy Building off of Prospect Street or across Prospect in the non-reserved spaces for PNC. The space we have reserved is in the back of the restaraunt. Look forward to seeing everyone soon! (P.S. Looking forward to talking to everyone about PAX East and the Kickstarter!)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Just a reminder that we are meeting at our new location for Tuesdays, Pure Eatery (http://pureeatery.com/), tomorrow at 6PM. I am excited to see you all there! 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Looking forward to playing at Pure tomorrow.

I totally flaked yesterday about the Comic Carnival meetup and missed it. I also won't be able to make the May 11th date -- I'll be working that day doing a major software upgrade.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Nick and I are still on the fence about tonight. It's likely we'll be there, but we're also recovering from PAX.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Not going to happen. Still unpacking from move, plus have to pick up car from shop, run errands (related to move), etc.

But looking forward to making it at least once in the next... ever.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Did I mention they have... hummus?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Oh, I love Pure's food! laugh That's certainly a huge draw.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

It is indeed! One major factor on why we reached out to them, as well as proxemity and the fact that they host groups on a regular basis. This will be a good location for us here on out. 

McSick

I'm from the Indy area and would love to join some games.  My girlfriend and I both are newish to the area but both play.  Normally I play with my friend from West Lafayette as I visit them most weekends.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Come join us at Pure next week!

McSick

imprimis5 wrote:

Come join us at Pure next week!

About how many people show up?  I am guessing it's okay if I bring someone?  Should I bring my cards?  I have all the expansions and mini expansions.  but I do not have any promos :|  and finally its from 6-10 on Tuesdays?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Last time, we had seven people. We've occasionally had up to twelve or more, so bring anyone you want. You're welcome to bring your cards, but there's usually plenty to cover everyone there. And yeah, I like to say it goes "from 6 to question mark!" in my best Dr. Orpheus voice. I'm usually a little late and have to leave a little early (stupid work), but others are there that are happy to play.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Always happy to have people come join us.

We're all just getting our feet wet with Pure, having only been there as a group once.

It's primarily a restaurant and bar. They happen to have a back area which is pretty well situated to handle a group of people playing 1 or 2 or 3 games. The tables were a bit rickety, actually, but that didn't turn out to be as annoying as I'd feared.

Everybody who went last time seemed to be ordering dinner. I like that I _can_ get food, but I also feel obligated to actually order something. While the prices are reasonable, they aren't super cheap, so I'm not quite sure how I feel about playing somewhere that people may feel obligated to buy things.

The service isn't super fast, though it also wasn't super slow. After we let the server know that people would be coming and going and ordering individually, he seemed pretty amenable to dealing with that. Hopefully the server(s) will get used to us and vice versa and things will feel smoother.

We had (I think) four small tables lined up in a long row and then there was at least another couple tables nearby. I think what would work better would be to have groups of two tables pushed together. I think that would make it a bit easier for people to group together into games. Probably not a big deal either way.

McSick

Hey all I'll be coming tonight with my girlfriend. I'll probably be there between 6 and 6:30

Huttj
Huttj's picture

Question about the location.

Is it normally that impossible to find parking there?  At 6:00 the lot was totally full, and St. Patrick's street was totally blocked on both sides (making it awkward when 2 cars were going opposite directions, and had no room to pass or anywhere to go).

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Huttj wrote:

Question about the location. Is it normally that impossible to find parking there?  At 6:00 the lot was totally full, and St. Patrick's street was totally blocked on both sides (making it awkward when 2 cars were going opposite directions, and had no room to pass or anywhere to go).

Yeah. Nick and I had to park a block away or so.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

McSick wrote:

Hey all I'll be coming tonight with my girlfriend. I'll probably be there between 6 and 6:30

Thanks for coming tonight! I hope you had fun.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I can't speak to parking availability. I had to lock my bike a couple stores away.

Nice to see some new folks. We had ten people. Our side of the table took a vicious beating from the Vengeful Five and then took out our frustrations on a hapless Plague Rat.

What do others think of the location? I bought a sandwhich and beer. While tasty, I spent more money that I really wanted to.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

The location is… decent. Parking isn't the best, and I agree that food is pricey. It's not bad every couple weeks, but still more than I'd really like. I do feel kind of obligated to get food, though, since we're there and I'm hungry.

McSick

I personally did not like the being in the back.  Being right next to the bathrooms made it hard to hear quite often.  Because it was hard to hear, it was hard to engage with others in which a game with Sentinels feels more fun when everyone is participating and talking.  Are there really no good game shops in Indy?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

McSick wrote:

I personally did not like the being in the back.  Being right next to the bathrooms made it hard to hear quite often.  Because it was hard to hear, it was hard to engage with others in which a game with Sentinels feels more fun when everyone is participating and talking.  Are there really no good game shops in Indy?

Also agreed about noise level. Between bathrooms and kitchen, it was a bit hard to hear sometimes. There are game shops, but unfortunately nothing super convenient for everyone. Fountain Square makes for a good central location.

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Huttj wrote:

Question about the location. Is it normally that impossible to find parking there?  At 6:00 the lot was totally full, and St. Patrick's street was totally blocked on both sides (making it awkward when 2 cars were going opposite directions, and had no room to pass or anywhere to go).

If you go across the street from the Murphy lot, there is a PNC parking lot. While you can't park there because of reserved spaces, you can park behind that lot and there are usually spots. However, we may need to revisit the discussion on location. It isn't ideal currently because of the traffic, parking and location, but we struggled to find a central location that would work. Shapiro's was also mentioned, but price and noise may still also been an issue. Ideas?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

bessyrocks12 wrote:

... we may need to revisit the discussion on location. It isn't ideal currently because of the traffic, parking and location, but we struggled to find a central location that would work. Shapiro's was also mentioned, but price and noise may still also been an issue. Ideas?

Think we could play in the food court at Circle Center Mall? 

Cons: Not very cosy; possibly loud; Mall closes at 9pm

Pros: Lots of parking, though at a price, lots of relatively inexpensive food choices

Another possibility is the ArtsGarden -- it's open until 9:30pm. Looking at the May calendar (https://www.indyarts.org/artsgarden/monthly-calendar), it looks really rare that anything is scheduled in the evening, though I know it's possible.

Cons: Not sure how conducive the tables are to boardgaming -- they may just be small, round tables; Not very cosy

Pros: Lots of parking, though at a price, lots of relatively inexpensive food choices

McSick

So I sent out a mass email to my work asking if anyone had ideas of a good place to meet.  One place that came up was Game Paradise http://www.gameparadisestore.com/

It seems to be right where we met last time.  Only down side is it seems as though they charge to play there.  Basically a giant store with tons of boardgames anyone can use and you pay to play.  Maybe we could work out something with them?  

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

The rates Game Paradise charge are a little steep for my blood. It is $35 for the month or $12.50 per visit, which isn't really saving anybody money for what we spend on food at Pure. Additionally, our normal Tuesday is also their normal Family Game Night, which could run into scheduling problems. Parking is an issue still. We can look into it and see if there is a possibility, but I am skeptical.

Circle Center is closer but often crowded and loud, as well as less private. Mass Ave would be nice, but the parking and crowds are a concern. 

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Would anyone be against the idea of using Midwest Gamez? It is about 4 miles west on Washington, thus not quite as centrally located, but not too bad. It's a few feet west of the triangle of Washington, Rockville, and Holt. They have 10 tables, sell mostly collectible card games, though they do have a small section of board games and used video games, and have snack foods. Also, 50 cent soda machine (I didn't think those existed anymore). This is the place I am trying to get our Mice and Mystics game, assuming I can get my hands on a copy.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

There's no good bike route to Midwest Gamez for me, so it is not very appealing from that standpoint. If everyone else was enthusiastic, I wouldn't stand in the way, but I'd rather try playing in the food court at circle center mall first or staying at Pure.

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

I would be very curious to check out Midwest Gamez for no other reason than it is an option. Also, mentioned this in the GenCon/PAX thread on General Topics, but would we want to put something together for the Tuesday before GenCon to give people coming in town somewhere to meet beforehand? If so, where?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Brock, I nominated you to be person-who-makes-a-decision about where we're playing. If you want input from us or ideas great, and I'm happy to give either. If it's possible to find a consensus where everyone is happy, great, let's do that. But if not, someone will have to make the call.

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Here's how it breaks down for me. I've been ok with Pure so far. It is far from perfect, but it allows the easiest and most central to get to for everyone, provides food for people after work, and parking is not impossible. If people feel strongly that we can do better, I want solid input and someone to help sell me on moving it. Our group is not big, new people and guests withstanding. I will make the call that we are staying unless I am given alternate solutions that will not eliminate people from getting there or costing too much. We can talk about ideas at the next meeting, but I can't keep looking without help and solid understanding on group needs. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sounds fair. The only suggestion I've heard that I personally might like better is my own suggestion to try the food court at Circle Center Mall. Would noise be a problem? Not sure. Would it get crowded? I don't think it would be very crowded very often, but it could be.

Maybe the RAM would let us play in their back room, but I'm not sure that would be better than Pure. Just as pricey. Not sure if the parking would be better or worse.

I am happy enough to continue at Pure until we find something better. I wonder if  we could approach them with our concerns about cost. Maybe they would be willing to offer us a 20% discount given that we are bringing a regular group of 6-12 people 25 times a year.

McSick

I think my biggest problem with Pure was playing in the back right by the kitchen and bathrooms.  It was just very distracting....  Price and parking didnt really phase me.  

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

At Pure, maybe we'd be better off if instead of four tables pushed together lengthwise, we had two sets of two tables that were, er, crosswise.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

The food court option sounds great to me with the exception that I'd either have to pay to park, or I would have to trek a good distance (I've done the latter; it's not impossible, but it's not very appealing given the typical end times we typically have).  It is very nice for those who live in the downtown facility, as it's quick access using lesser transportation (cycling, pedestrian, skating, whatever), given that I am north of Eagle Creek prior, and am headed towards the airport after, my only real option is a car. And, if I'm paying to park and eating food court dinners, I am already paying the same cost as Pure, if not more.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

The cost thing was one that gave me pause, as well as bringing my full games through the mall. More room vs. less privacy. Not sure the noise will be better. It isn't far, but requires more planning if things are going on downtown.

Andy - Agreed that we probably should break the tables up better at Pure at the very least. The other side of the coin with asking for a discount is that we probably should have a mandatory gratuity for a group of that size. Many restaraunts charge that and I would be hesitent to push the issue. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think I usually tip more than most mandatory gratuities, so I don't think that would bother me.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TheJayMann wrote:

And, if I'm paying to park and eating food court dinners, I am already paying the same cost as Pure, if not more.

Really? Maybe it costs more to park than I realize. At Pure I orderd a sandwhich and a beer and paid close to $20 after tax and tip.

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

I also tip fairly well, but a mandatory (usually 20%) tip on the bill may turn others off.

The sandwiches at Pure are about $7-9, I got out of there with a salad for $9. The mall parking is $2 for less than 3 hours (presuming you go after 5 PM), $4 for after. (However, an event can up those prices significantly). If you get a meal and parking, it will average about the same depending on your drink of preference and how long you stay. Think of it as higher average price (Pure) to parking plus variable food options. The only option around this is to find a place with free parking that doesn't have food so people don't feel compelled to pay anything.

*Edit: Meant to say $4 for 3-5 hours at the mall after 5 PM

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Since Brock hasn't posted here, I'm going to steal his thunder and remind people that we will be playing Sentinels at Pure Eatery in Fountain Square tonight at 6pm.

McSick

I wont be able to make it tonight unfortunately.  I am moving this upcoming weekend have a ton of errand to get done.  On top of that my phone was ruined in a canoe trip this past weekend so I have to take care of that.  Also have to get an oil change.  OH and work has decided to have meetings at later hours D:   Blegh

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

McSick wrote:

I wont be able to make it tonight unfortunately.  I am moving this upcoming weekend have a ton of errand to get done.  On top of that my phone was ruined in a canoe trip this past weekend so I have to take care of that.  Also have to get an oil change.  OH and work has decided to have meetings at later hours D:   Blegh

Gross, man. Just… gross.

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

McSick wrote:

Sorry you can't make it. Tell your work that they need to reschedule your meetings NOT on game night...

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Hey everyone,

Due to the last meetup at Pure, management (meaning everyone) has decided to pursue other venues. I believe Circle Center Mall food court was decided for next Tuesday, the 27th at 6. If you also have any alternate ideas in the downtown area for future meetups, we will use these criteria: is the price reasonable for everyone? is there enough parking? would there be reasonable access to food/drink/(beer)? is it relatively close to downtown? Please help us to figure out a new regular spot that will work for everyone!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Didn't go well, huh? frown Sorry to hear that...

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

We just had issues with service, noise and prices. It was a good area and food, but not the right fit for what we needed.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I believe that [ANONYMOUS](who would like to remain anonymous) had stated interest in MoJoe's Coffee House, which is off Michigan and Senate, which appears to have a small customer only free parking lot, as well as The Funkyard, which is in Fountain Square, between Prospect, Morris, and Shelby, and has free parking because it's in Fountain Square.

[EDITed by arenson9. Please excuse me if I've misunderstood something, but if the person wanted to remain anonymous, I thought you/they might appreciate having their name removed.]

Pages