The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Prime Earth Kickstarter- Videogame version!

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
Prime Earth Kickstarter- Videogame version!

In case you're not looking there, the kickstarter for the Mutants & Masterminds version of Sentinels is up on kickstarter now. The $400K goal is Handelabra making a digital version of this game!

On steam MigrantP has said

MigrantP wrote:
Our strategy for Sentinels of Earth Prime could include the following:

- A standalone Sentinels of Earth Prime for iOS, Android and Steam

- A Sentinels of Earth Prime DLC playable right in the existing Sentinels of the Multiverse game.

- Cross platform and cross GAME multiplayer! 

so it looks like something I am intersted in.

However, I have absolutely no interest in the physical product. I play RPGs and do venture into M&M from time to time and this is just not what I want from this kickstarter. So I have sent a letter to Handelabra via their Contact page.

Quote:
Hi!

I see the current kickstarter for the Sentinels of Earth-Prime and see the $400K stretch goal, I really hope it reaches it. However, I have no interest in the physical product so will not be backing the kickstarter.

This letter is a way for me to indicate I am interested in your version of it being made and hope that should the $400K not be reached, that you still know there are people out there who would buy the game if you made it.

If you're not going to back the kickstarter but still want the digital version I would encourage you to do the same.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

MigrantP also wrote this on the Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/sentinelsmultiverse/comments/65wc53/sentinels_o...

Quote:

If we can make the digital version we have 3 main goals:

1. Sentinels of Earth Prime should be available on its own - owning SotM not required.
  2. Owners of SotM should be able to add SoEP to their game (and vice versa).
  3. SotM and SoEP players should be able to play together in multiplayer, no matter which version of the game they own, so long as they both have the content.

However we achieve that may be platform dependent, and we can figure out the details if/when the time comes.

Between that and Christopher's comments are why I backed.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

If you aren't interested in the physical rewards but still want to show your interest, I would suggest using the 'Make a pledge without a reward' option. As far as I know you can set your own price with that, so you could throw $10 (or however much you are willing to spare) and mention that in that E-mail that Matchstickman suggests, I think that will go much farther to convince Green Ronin/Handelabra/whom-it-may-concern to make SoE-P Digital a thing.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The success of the SoEP Kickstarter will be a very important measure for us when making decisions about a digital version. If you don't want the physical version, backing the project for $1 is a good way to show your support and help it succeed.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Yeah, I'm in this camp too.  The higher price point, increased storage problems, and the fact that I play the video game far more frequently than the physical game make the physical SoEP a non-starter for me, but I'll throw a few bucks in indicating my support for the video game.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The point of this thread was to make you and others aware that the success of the Kickstarter should have some impact on if you go digital or not, but that there are others out here who don't want to back the kickstarter and want you to know that they still would back your version of the game.

Giving a dollar to Green Ronin is not a thing I'm interested in doing when I don't care for what that dollar will go to produce.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

However, I am happy that people are backing/supporting in a way that shows if they want the digital version or not.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

Giving a dollar to Green Ronin is not a thing I'm interested in doing when I don't care for what that dollar will go to produce.

If that dollar helps confirm SoE-P, then you kind of do care.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

It's not really about the dollar, it's about the backer. More backers helps KS projects succeed and is an indicator of support we will be looking at.

Blackfang108
Playtester

I'll probably be backing at the PDF level.  I dont' get to play RPGs much, but i LOVE reading their books.

carnilius
Playtester

Because it's unclear from the Kickstarter, at the $400k stretch goal there will be a video game version available for sale, or backers will receive the video game version?

Blackfang108
Playtester

My read is: TANSTAAFL.  You'll have to buy it.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Matchstickman wrote:
The point of this thread was to make you and others aware that the success of the Kickstarter should have some impact on if you go digital or not, but that there are others out here who don't want to back the kickstarter and want you to know that they still would back your version of the game. Giving a dollar to Green Ronin is not a thing I'm interested in doing when I don't care for what that dollar will go to produce.

1. The game has to exist in cardboard before it can exist in digital.

2. If you eventually buy a digital version from Handelabra you will be giving dollars to Green Ronin as well.

3. Forgive me, but I am not certain why you or anyone else would want a digital version of something that you "don't care for" in the first place.

I'm in the boat of having no reason any time soon to buy offline geek games, but I backed the KS anyway because I recognize that I don't get my digital version unless the cardboard version succeeds, and the more stretch goals reached the more content I get in any eventual digital version.

It also helps immensely for me that they're offering RPG books as pledge rewards, which IS something I can use.

Another nice part is that if the 400K stretch goal is achieved it will presumably relieve Handelabra from having to worry about running their own separate Kickstarter, since it wil guarantee them both the funds and a reasonable expectation of interest.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Good for everyone who doesn't understand my motivations, here it is again.

The point of this thread was to say "Hey people who also don't want a physical product, here's an idea for folks like you and me."

If you want to support Green Ronin by kicking in money to the kickstarter, go do it, I want you to support it as you want to support it. I equally want to support it in a way that I want to do it, and that doesn't involve giving Green Ronin money for products I have no interest in acquiring in a physical form. I don't even do that with the RPG books they produce, I get digital versions of them too.

Getting to $400K is a great goal, but understand it gets you no digital version. It just guarentees they will produce it, you will have to buy it separate from the kickstarter.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Presumably, if it hits $400k, the extra money will be going to Handelabra.

It's just that saying "I want the digital version of this game, but I don't want the physical version to happen" is a concept fundamentally at odds with itself, and that's what it sounds like you're saying. The same goes for not wanting to support Green Ronin, but wanting the digital version of the game they're producing. You're really working against yourself, here.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

TakeWalker wrote:

Presumably, if it hits $400k, the extra money will be going to Handelabra.It's just that saying "I want the digital version of this game, but I don't want the physical version to happen" is a concept fundamentally at odds with itself, and that's what it sounds like you're saying. The same goes for not wanting to support Green Ronin, but wanting the digital version of the game they're producing. You're really working against yourself, here.

I'm curious, where does he say he doesn't want the physical product to be made? I only see mentions of him not wanting to acquire the product. As far as I am aware not wanting to own a product is not the same as not wanting it to exist. I also see know mention of not wanting to support Green Ronin, only that he doesn't wish to support physical products he doesn't have an interest in.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

carnilius wrote:

Because it's unclear from the Kickstarter, at the $400k stretch goal there will be a video game version available for sale, or backers will receive the video game version?

There will be a video game version available for sale. I disagree that the Kickstarter is unclear; it says regarding the stretch goal: "If successful, [Green Ronin] will work with Handelabra Games to make a Sentinels of Earth-Prime video game." 

If the stretch goal involved backers receiving the video game, it would say so.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Also, considering how nontrivial it was for Handelabra to provide the video game as a reward for their own Kickstarter, including it as a stretch-goal add on to someone else's Kickstarter is a non-starter.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Ronway wrote:

I'm curious, where does he say he doesn't want the physical product to be made? I only see mentions of him not wanting to acquire the product.

The vehemence against having the game, coupled with apparent antipathy directed toward Green Ronin, suggest such. But, I am fully aware that I am likely misinterpreting the above statements and putting words in his mouth. I just want to be clear that this is how he's coming across, to me, anyway, as I attempt to understand what's going on here.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The apathy towards Green Ronin where I said I buy their products as digital things rather than physical things?

The point where I said I am happy for others to support this game in a way they want to?

As I have said multiple times, the point of the thread was to highlight for people who either don't want to (or can't afford to) put in a $ to the kickstarter an alternative way to make their feelings known.

I now I shall leave this thread for other threads so it doesn't devolve further.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Folks, please stop putting words into other peoples' mouths. 

Listen and respect the point being made. Stop saying the OP is saying something they are not. 

And don't make me use my mod voice. 

Really disappointed in how this played out. This could have been a useful discussion. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I would like to say that I initially had the same interpretation that Takewalker did, hence my own initial post.

It was not my intention to "put words in [Matchstick's] mouth"; I genuinely initially misread what he said, and so then left it alone once Matchstick clarified and I therefore realized my mistake. I am wagering that Takewalker made the same honest mistake I did.

So I apologize to Matchstick for coming off as unintentionally hostile and contributing to any resulting derailing of his intentions, but I also feel very uncomfortable at being threatened with mod punishment for not reading something ambigious the right way the first time and needing to seek clarification.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I've just been kind of flabbergasted by the negativity surrounding this campaign. It's one thing to say "I'm not interested", but anyone who hasn't wanted to support it, on this forum and others, has come off as genuinely hostile, and just I don't understand why. Obviously, I'm reading things that aren't there, though, and I also apologize to Matchstickman for rogue assumptions on his behalf. :/

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Anyways, I'm probably more curious about the intro theme if the video game gets made for this since their plan is to make a separate app as well and it would seem odd to use the normal Sentinels theme in a completely different universe.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Yeah, I've been put off by what feels like hostility surrounding the campaign as well. I don't think you're reading things that aren't there, though (I mean outside of Matchstick, obviously, where we did), since I've seen other people besides us also comment on how hostile the reaction seems.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Anyways, I'm probably more curious about the intro theme if the video game gets made for this since their plan is to make a separate app as well and it would seem odd to use the normal Sentinels theme in a completely different universe.  

That's a good point, I'm also thinking WHEN the game gets made will it look the same, not so much the art, but the GUI, UI, colors, button placements, etc… I'm just thinking that it would only matter if the video game for SoEP was compatible with the Sotm Video Game.

These questions are far off, and will be answered at a future date, but I have just tons of questions. I'm not demanding things be a certain way, I am just full with curiosity!

I'm looking forward to all of this!

Can't wait for more updates! 

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Jeysie wrote:

I also feel very uncomfortable at being threatened with mod punishment for not reading something ambigious the right way the first time and needing to seek clarification.

Sorry you feel that way, Jeysie, but I wasn't talking expressly to you. Matchstickman clarified his point, and there were still comments made -- that was my target. 

If you have issues with this (or anything else with our moderation of the site), please contact me or another Mod/Admin via PM instead of on the thread. 

If we have concerns around negativity on this KS campaign, please discuss that elsewhere (e.g., start a thread!). Let's see if we can help make this a useful conversation...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

UXM266 wrote:

I'm also thinking WHEN the game gets made will it look the same, not so much the art, but the GUI, UI, colors, button placements, etc… I'm just thinking that it would only matter if the video game for SoEP was compatible with the Sotm Video Game.These questions are far off, and will be answered at a future date, but I have just tons of questions. I'm not demanding things be a certain way, I am just full with curiosity!

I'm looking forward to all of this!

Can't wait for more updates! 

Agreed! 

Because they'll want to mix the two, the general GUI will likely stay the same -- or we might see consistent changes across both versions. 

I imagine they'll have their own theme song, though. smiley

Thanks for the suggestion on this, Matchstickman! I actually backed for the physical copy, but I understand why folks might not. I am going to go ahead and let them know, also, as I want to ensure they know a lot of us who are backing for the physical game are also interested in the virtual game. Great idea -- thanks! 

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Well, to continue this thread's topic, if MigrantP says he feels that giving even just a dollar to Green Ronin is the most useful indicator of interest in a digital version over emails, I'm inclined to say that while I appreciate Matchstick's good intentions, I'm on the side of feeling that doing what Handelabra folks find most useful is probably the better way to go.

Someone on Steam also made the very good point I hadn't considered myself before that if you honestly don't find the RPG books a useful draw for making a higher pledge, you could always just plan to resell any physical copy of the game you receive in a pledge, and might even be able to charge a small premium since you'd be able to also sell any promos or other add-ons that are achieved in stretch goals that wouldn't be in later plain retail copies.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Oh man, I'm getting tons of questions about the complimentary games! How will they work together? It's not an expansion like Shattered Timelines, it is its own thing! So if you have both installed would that mean it would recognize each other? How ill that work on different platforms!?

Am I just worrying about something that is soooo far off I shouldn't be concerned?

I think I am…..

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

My completely without a clue thought is that the gme can be purchased separately , when it will contain all the chasis required, as Sentinels of thE Multiverse currently works, but it will also be purchasable as an add-on to SotM, as say Vengeance is. Simlarly, if you bought SoEP then the existing Sentinels game and its expansions would be purchasable in a similar manner.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

However we achieve it may be platform dependent, and we can figure out the details if/when the time comes.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

MigrantP wrote:

However we achieve it may be platform dependent, and we can figure out the details if/when the time comes.

HAHA yeah, i'm just getting waaay ahead myself. I'm hoping WHEN

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

When....definitely when.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka