The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Powers and effects that target 'the villain deck' in Vengeance-style

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture
Powers and effects that target 'the villain deck' in Vengeance-style

I don't have Vengeance or Villains yet, but I'm curious -- things like Take Down and Infrared Eyepiece say to stop or look at "the Villain deck." In Vengeance, does this apply to all of the villain decks? And doesn't this make things like Mistbound or Turmoil a lot less effective by comparison?

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

You choose only one villain deck for anything that targets multiples.  It does make Turmoil, Mistbound, and Takedown less useful, but they were crazy powerful before.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Actually, I think Take Down specifies that "villain cards cannot be played", in which case it's so much better than when playing against just one villain ;). Other cards which say to apply the effect to "the villain deck", however, do require you to choose one deck when fighting Vengeance-style. It's the same as if an effect targets something like "the hero with the lowest hp" and the Sentinels fit that description, you can pick which one of the four gets affected (as opposed to when an effect says "hero target", in which case it is whichever individual Sentinel is applicable).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Not quite. "Hero" in that context is short for "hero character card."

The kind of example you might be looking for is something like "the hero with the most cards in play."

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

That can't be right - Infection targets a "hero" and you can decide which Sentinel to put it on when it gets played on them. If "hero" means "hero character card" that doesn't work for the Sentinels - they've always been one hero with four character cards...

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

It depends on context. If it's a "hero" on its own, it means a hero with a deck and you can select any of the Sentinels. If it has a hp modifier, so "hero with the lowest", you'd take the hero character card with the lowest HP, ignoring things like Decoy Projection. If it was "hero target wit the lowest HP" you'd include things like the Decoy, Constructs and Bots.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, I've never heard of this distinction of "hero" meaning "hero character card". As far as I'm aware, that's never been a thing - there was always only "hero" (of which the Sentinels are one) and "hero target" (of which the Sentinels are four). When did this "hero = character card" thing come up?

I am the Wordweaver...

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

The wording occurs on a lot of villains. Bomber Blade's flip side, Citizen Autumn,the Chairman, Fiendish pugilist and then I got bored.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ameena wrote:

When did this "hero = character card" thing come up?

I know it's come up in playtesting in the past; not sure if/when it might have come up in public conversations...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It's as old as the Enhanced Edition Rulebook.

Hero:  A Hero is a character played by a player.  Heroes have Character cards which list the maximum HP of the Hero and their innate power on the front, and their incapacitated abilities on the back.  Each Hero has a deck of 40 hero cards.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

So...the thing about being able to choose which Sentinel something applies to if a "hero" (as opposed to "hero target") effect applies to one of them is wrong?

I am the Wordweaver...

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nope, just a little ambiguous:

Vengeance rulebook wrote:

Any effect that targets character cards can target any or all members of The Sentinels, but if it is ambiguous which of the four character cards are effected, the player decides

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)