The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

"Playing a card" and "activating the text". How do "powers" work in this context?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
XChylde
XChylde's picture
"Playing a card" and "activating the text". How do "powers" work in this context?

I don't see that this has been clearly stated anywhere and I wanted to get a clarification. 

When you play a card, the rules say to activate any text on that card. Where I am unclear is when you play a card with a power.  Do you 1) play the card and activate the power THEN move to power phase, or do you 2) play the card THEN move to power phase where you may use the power? I have been playing using interpretation #2 since a power should be different than a oneshot but I wanted to clarify and be sure I wasn't putting myself at a disadvantage. 

Khedron
Khedron's picture
Playtester

XChylde wrote:

I don't see that this has been clearly stated anywhere and I wanted to get a clarification. When you play a card, the rules say to activate any text on that card. Where I am unclear is when you play a card with a power.  Do you 1) play the card and activate the power THEN move to power phase, or do you 2) play the card THEN move to power phase where you may use the power? I have been playing using interpretation #2 since a power should be different than a oneshot but I wanted to clarify and be sure I wasn't putting myself at a disadvantage. 

Yes, 2 is correct, powers must use one of your power activations for the turn.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yes, and if you're playing the Adept and you bring one of his song ongoings into play (Harmonies, Melodies, or Rhythms), you wouldn't activate their texts either as they can only be activated by stuff that causes Perform or Accompany texts to activate (his base power, instruments, or Silver Shadow one-shot). Note that in this case the song effects aren't powers so if you have the ability to use more than one power in a turn and use two different powers which can activate the same song, you can do this :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)