The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Plague Rat... villain?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
ThatGamer709
Plague Rat... villain?

So after looking through all the villain flavor text and cards, I've noticed that all the villains have very decent reasons for the heroes to fight them. Except for Plague Rat. He's one of my favorite villains don't get me wrong, but how did he catch the heroes attention? What has he really done to make them fight him? Plague Rat pretty much sticks to himself in the sewers, eating anyone that might wander to close. That sounds pretty awful but the occasional missing person in a place like Rook City isn't that important. What makes him so important the that Freedom Five have to take time from stopping aliens invade the earth, to stop him from eating the stray hobo?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Given that his infection can cause superheroes to attack each other I dread to think about what it would do to normal people.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Simsar
Simsar's picture

Just like Spider-man fights the Shocker on a near constant basis (and never seems to lose), Plague Rat is just one of those villains that has the b-movie creature feature quality to him that makes him work. Personally, fighting Plague Rat is kind of a warm up game for me, he's really not that hard with the right heroes in play and if you can wreck his ongoing cards (Nightmist is a good one to use consistently), he's really not much of a threat, just a general annoyance.

Also, to suggest a signature. "You met the boomstick, but have you felt the matchstick?" - ExPatirette before setting fire to the Pike Industries Building

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Speaking of Plague Rat, I still have no earthly idea why a time-traveling cowboy has a grudge against a sewer monster. I'm really puzzled on that.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Vyolynce
Vyolynce's picture

evandan55 wrote:

Speaking of Plague Rat, I still have no earthly idea why a time-traveling cowboy has a grudge against a sewer monster. I'm really puzzled on that.

Said sewer-monster probably causes some MAJOR issues down the chronological road. The kind you have to nip in the bud temporally because by the time your hero is active everything has gone straight to hell.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Maybe Chrono-ranger IS Plague Rat in the future, after he's kicked the radioactive sludge habit and gotten his life back together.  And then found a time machine.  And a ray gun.  OK, maybe not so likely, I guess...

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Vyolynce wrote:

Said sewer-monster probably causes some MAJOR issues down the chronological road. The kind you have to nip in the bud temporally because by the time your hero is active everything has gone straight to hell.

Maybe there's an alternate timeline where Plague Rat's infection spreads to most of the world?

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

His villain bio says he's been around for decades.  Maybe he's just old enough that Chrono Ranger keeps encountering him over the course of his time-travelling exploits.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Given Christopher's recent revelation and the fact that incapacitated heroes continue attacking people, I think we can now see why Plague Rat is a villain the Freedom Five need to contend with!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

tiborvadovan

evandan55 wrote:

Hmm... indeed. Why would the rat fiend be hunted by the sheriff?...One distinct possibility does spring to mind:

Cat Sherrif

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Well, now I refuse to accept any backstory that does not involve Chrono-Ranger being half-cat.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Too bad!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Poor Jimmies...

wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

LCinn
LCinn's picture

I believe there is a silhouette of Chrono Ranger on one of Akash'bhuta's cards.. living rockslide I think? Didn't look like a cat, I'm afraid :P

EDIT: but it might just be a random dude, or AA after his fabulous outfit got damaged.. who knows.