The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Pike's Industrial Complex

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Markqueue
Pike's Industrial Complex

Hey guys,

Today I have been playing Legacy, Tempest, and Wraith against Plague Rat in Pike's Industrial Complex on iOS.

i was playing on my 2nd generation iPad (from 2010?), so granted it's not state of the art now in 2015, but I was noticing some major slowdowns in the game.  And yes, I have played this configuration many times over, and I keep seeing the same slowdown occur.

When the environment is full of vats, Wraith has 2-3 Megacomputers out, and ... This seems to be the key, Tempest has Shielding Winds out.

i can wait up to fifteen minutes for a single update to an attack from the rat onto Tempest.  I think one time it took an hour for all the vats and rats to attack just 1 round!  It's almost unplayable.

Well, I figured it might be just be my hardware.  So I today went out and bought a state of the art IPad Air 2.  This is the fastest iPad Apple currently sells.  This is probably on the order of 4-10x faster than my old iPad.

The new hardware does run faster, but once vats and rats and shielding winds come out, the game slows to a crawl.  In fact, I am composing this message on my old iPad while I am running on the new hardware just waiting for the environment to finish its turn.  It still hasn't.

Let me be clear.., I love this game!  So much that I was willing to fork out the bucks for a new iPad so I could avoid the slowdown.  It's slightly better, but it's still unplayable!  It is currently taken 10? 15? Minutes for the environment to play and it's still not done!

if I were to guess, it feels like some n^2 algorithm for iterating through the cards that may affect the environment. (Are you trying all combinations?  Is it computing symbolically?)  The worst offender seems to be shielding winds: it goes from slow updates to unplayably slow updates.

Please please please fix this.  It is unplayable in this configuration (and shielding winds is important to surviving the environment, esp. When the vat comes out that destroys all other vats)

Am I the only one seeing this?

Thanks for letting me vent.

i really do love the game and want it fixed so I can continue playing.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

First, welcome to the forums!

Second, this is a known issue and the fix is on the way. You can see it here on the SotM Trello boards: https://trello.com/c/sdaZ9O38/25-if-superhuman-durability-shielding-winds-or-undaunted-are-in-play-with-many-other-damage-modifier-effects-damage-calculations-ca

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The patch for this was released on steam yesterday, I expect it's filtering through the channels for other mediums as we speak...

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Markqueue

Ah, thank you very much for the update.  I am glad to see the developers are on top of this.  

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Yep, a fix for this issue is awaiting review for iPad right now.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The Handelabra folks are really awesome!

Except Jeremy. He's just silly...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)