The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Pennsic?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amnachaidh
Playtester
Pennsic?

Anyone else going to Pennsic? I'll be there, often in the period gaming tent, sometimes playing go.

Off to paint the gher door some more...

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

One of these years! The conficts between Pennsic and future dates of Gen Con are, however, unfortunate. Gulf Wars is much more likely for me in the nearish term future.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Amnachaidh
Playtester

It was a good Pennsic - although it seemed there were more holds in the rapier melees than the heavies. I heard of shield bashes and slap shots being thrown in light weapons. Weather was slightly wet, but nicely cool. Yurt performed well.

Gulf wars would be a serious drive for my kids to handle.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Did not notice this ahead of time, drat.  I didn't go completely dark once I got on site, but I stopped checking these forums before I drove up for Zero Night.

I was pretty exceptionally lazy this year, not doing any fighting at all and not visiting friends in the merchant area more than a few times over the entire two weeks, but I did get to do some gaming with campmates while relaxing down in the Meadow.  I was tempted to bring Sentinels and GSF but decided to go with games that took up less space - we played a few different things with Icehouse pieces and several games of Citadels which has a lot of replayability in a small container.

Yay for yurts!  I was really pleased to switch from a pavilion with a center pole a few years ago.

The timing of Pennsic and GenCon is a little unfortunate.  People I know who sell at both events (and MD Renn Fest & have a networking presence at DragonCon) end up packing for at least a full month of living out of bags before they have a place and time to visit home.

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Sorry to have missed you. I didn't back SOTM either, but nearlly bought a set to give to some campmates from Game Knight. We weren't lazy, despite very little anyting. I take my currently 9 and 4 year old with us, so full time parenting didn't stop. Some of the teens were quite generous with allowing my son to join their games of Munchkin.

Central Pole pavillion - Wheel and Spoke? I really like the things - and admit that they are better for Pennsic than yurts for rain - but do Mongolian for comfort.

I hope to make it to GenCon some year, but it won't be any time soon. We meet family at Cooper's, where it's a halfway point.

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Nah, used to have a 14x14 Tentsmith's marquee.  I forget that they use "pavilion" to refer specifically to their circular tents.  I actually had more issues with rain with the marquee than I do with my yurt.

What were you playing at the period games tent?

Amnachaidh
Playtester

I played Chinese Chess (Xiangqi), and the Game of the Goose (4 year old enjoys it). I played 3 games of Go. I sometimes help Lord Xavier with his class as an extra teacher when the people pair off.

I spent more time in classes - Baba Yaga, Knots, Scotch Appreciation, etc. - than any one thing. I also spent a large amount of time at Thrown Weapons with the nine year old. I'm currently making Atlatls out of paint sticks.

My camp  did an Owain Phyfe appreciation this year in lieu of our regular Hafla. While a deliberately more intimate party, it was really nice.