The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Parse's Buffer Overflow and the Scion Reserve - Oblivaeon Question

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
ShiningCrobat
ShiningCrobat's picture
Parse's Buffer Overflow and the Scion Reserve - Oblivaeon Question

Can Parse's Buffer Overflow discard a scion card when it enters play from the Scion Reserve? If it can, what happens after that?

Buffer Overflow text: Ongoing When a villain card would enter play, you may discard it instead and destroy this card. When this card is destroyed, draw a card and play the top card of the villain deck.

Oblivaeon Official Rulebook - Rules Clarification (3rd Section) text: The Oblivaeon deck, the Scon Deck, and the Aeon Men deck all count as villain decks. The Scion Reserve is not a deck. Hero and environment cards can only affect the Oblivaeon deck, the Scion Deck, and/or the Aeon Men deck if a target associated with one of those decks is in the same battle zone as that card.

To the best of my knowledge, scions from the Scion Reserve in Oblivaeon come into play as villain character cards. Since Buffer Overflow has no stipulation on affecting character cards (unlike Argent Adept's Cedistic Dissonant), I would argue that scions are valid targets for Buffer Overflow.

However, this creates a problem as I see it. As stated in the Rules Clarifications at the end of the Oblivaeon rulebook, the Scion Reserve is not a deck. There is no such thing as a Scion Reserve trash to discard scion cards to. I see one solution; create a Scion Reserve trash to discard the card. Since very little could affect this trash as it is not a deck's trash, that scion is as good as removed from the game. 

As an aside, the Aeon Men deck, Scion Deck, and Oblivaeon deck all count as villain decks according to the same rules clarification I mentioned earlier. As long as a target associated with one of those decks is in the same play area as Parse, you would be able to play the top card of their deck at the end of Buffer Overflow, regardless of which card you discard.

Anyway, someone please tell me I'm wrong so I don't cheese Oblivaeon if I ever fight him again. Also let me know about my aside, because I'm shaky on that now too.

Edit: I added the referenced text from the Oblivaeon Official Rulebook.
Edit 2: Spellcheck. Whoops, didn't realize my spellcheck wasn't working on this text field!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Buffer Overflow should not be to impact the Scion Reserve pile just like Buffer Overflow can’t prevent another member of the Ennead from entering play. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Technically, neither Ennead members nor scions "enter play." They are simply moved from their reserve areas into a play area. The phrasing is a little different, but neither goes from out of play to in play. Exploit Vulnerability shouldn't work on either of them, either, for example.

However, if Phrase overflowed an Aeon Man, what card would be played? I'd say the heroes could choose between the OblivAeon or Scion deck (assuming both OblivAeon and a scion were present in the zone).

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

If Parse stopped an Aeon Men deck card play then it should work like Team Villain games and you’d play the next card of the Aeon Men deck. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

ShiningCrobat
ShiningCrobat's picture

I think what stops the Ennead from being affected by Buffer Overflow is text from The Shrine of the Ennead and I can't find any similar text for the Scion Reserve.

The Shrine of the Ennead text: Whenever a Villain Target would be destroyed, flip it over instead. This card and all cards beneath this card are indestructible and cannot be removed from the play area by any means.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see past the first response.

So are all of the Ennead and the Scion Reserve considered in play from the start of the game? In that case, it makes sense to me that Buffer Overflow couldn't target a scion being moved out of one... area? of play to another. But it doesn't make sense to me that they would never enter play and still be part of play.

I completely forgot about the team villain rule clarification. That's good precident and a rule I'll try to remeber to follow, but I still wish the clarification was in the book. xD

Powerhound_2000

If they had all of these clarifications in the rulebook it would be heavier than the filled Collector’s box laugh

ShiningCrobat
ShiningCrobat's picture

Is the oversize Scion Reserve card considered not-a-card, a character card, or indestructable? Because otherwise I don't see anything protecting it from being destroyed by Argent Adept's Cedistic Disonant now that I'm taking a closer look at it.

Powerhound_2000

It’s not a card in play it’s a rules card like the colosseum for Kaargra

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

MindWanderer wrote:

Technically, neither Ennead members nor scions "enter play." They are simply moved from their reserve areas into a play area. The phrasing is a little different, but neither goes from out of play to in play. Exploit Vulnerability shouldn't work on either of them, either, for example.

I just want to correct this. Exploit Vulnerabilty would totally still work. As it is a "target entering play". While frequently a target entering playing happens at the same time as a card entering play, there are a few instances where it can occur even when a card has not entered play. Imbued Vilitality and Miss Information flipping are another two examples.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Ah, I forgot that "gains/loses [keyword]" triggers "[keyword] enters/leaves play." It's consistent with Faultless, at least.

Submit your games here!

robertmaxfreeman
robertmaxfreeman's picture

Okay, so to make sure I've got all this right:

1. Parse's Buffer Overflow doesn't work on Scions, because the Scions aren't villain cards. Villain cards come from villain decks. So Buffer Overflow can work on the Oblivaeon, Scion, or Aeon Men decks, but not the Scions or the Ennead.

2. A Scion entering play will trigger Parse's Updated Intel card, but she can't look at the bottom of the Scion pile, because it's not a deck.

"It's all chaos. Be kind."

Powerhound_2000

For point two a Scion entering play in the same Battle Zone as Parse would trigger Exploit Vulnerabiltiy not Updated Intel 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

robertmaxfreeman wrote:

Parse's Buffer Overflow doesn't work on Scions, because the Scions aren't villain cards. Villain cards come from villain decks. 

Incorrect. Lead From the Front only works on damage from villain cards, for instance, and of course it works on damage from any villain character card. It doesn't work because they aren't entering play, they're already in play. So Updated Intel would also not work.

Submit your games here!