The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Overdrive plus the Rod of Anubis

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Katsue
Katsue's picture
Overdrive plus the Rod of Anubis

If Mr. Fixer has the Rod of Anubis, giving him the power to inflict 2 Infernal damage, what happens when he plays Overdrive? Can he use Strike twice, and the Rod once, or does using Strike prevent him from using the Rod?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Good question! I don't think there's an obvious answer.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think it's in the wording and timing:

• If he uses the Rod's power first, he can still use Strike "twice this turn" and can thus use it twice. (It doesn't say one additional time - it says twice. laugh)
  • If he uses Strike first, he's used his power, so he can't use the Rod's power but he can use Strike a second time.

Just my opinion, though - not an official answer. wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Rabit's answer is correct! Give the ancient martial artist an artifact of great power and watch him go to work!

Personally, I like the mental image of him using the Rod of Anubis AND Dual Crowbars . . .

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

awp832
Playtester

This might not be the best place to say it, but I really love the Rod of Anubis.   I think "treasure" was a great thing to add in the environment deck, and I'd love to see more of it in environments to come,  maybe in different forms or whatever.   I've had a few games where Bunker was dual weilding Rod of Anubis + Grenade Launcher.  Less damage than Flank Cannon, but depending on timing you can get it out faster.  Plus its just epic.

I've not yet seen Turret Mode + Idol of Ankput + Maintenence Unit + Heavy Plating,  but that would be pretty awesome too.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

ketigid

I'm not really following.

When Overdrive is played, Fixer gets 2 uses of Strike. In order to use Rod, he'll need 1 more power usage. Are we assuming Embolden on Fixer?

flamethrower49
Playtester

It appears that the wording of Overdrive is what is important here.  It says that you can use Strike twice this turn.  So, if Mr. Fixer has and uses another power, he can still use Strike twice that turn.

ketigid

flamethrower49 wrote:

It appears that the wording of Overdrive is what is important here.  It says that you can use Strike twice this turn.  So, if Mr. Fixer has and uses another power, he can still use Strike twice that turn.

Got it. Thanks.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. So I guess that also applies when he access to Plague Rat's reverse side powers if he has gone crazed with the Infection. Mr. Fixer versus Plague Rat just keeps getting better and better.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

Personally, I like the mental image of him using the Rod of Anubis AND Dual Crowbars . . .

Three sword style?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

TheJayMann wrote:

Christopher wrote:

Three sword style?

Nope.  Crowbar-Chucks.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.