The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Omnitron-X

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
Omnitron-X

See, now, Omnitron-X is awesome on its face, no faith required.  The video was great.  I can't wait to get my hands on this blue little guy to see how he plays.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I agree! Looks so cool. I'm just thinking his power might seem OPed. But it depends on how he plays. Making no judgements just yet....

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

IKerensky

What video ? where ?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

IKerensky wrote:

What video ? where ?

Here.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

lugaru
lugaru's picture

The kickstarter, it is the most recent update.

I love this power... it is the one I was suggesting for an altnerate, more reckless Nightmist since it feels very "reality control"'.

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

I'm hoping that Omnitron-X keeps at least half of its loadout, mainly because I want to be able to launch an Electro-Pulse Explosive and fire a terraforming beam.

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

VanceAttack

His power is going to be amazing. Both for getting heroes to move quicker (AKA Absolute Zero/Nightmist etc) and to stop potential threats before they have the opportunity to come out (minion heavy decks). 

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

So who made this video? Christopher said they didn't really plan on continuing the YouTube channel very much. But I thought the video was pretty awesome.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

lugaru
lugaru's picture

Yeah, the power can combo well with stuff that determines the order of the top cards or that launches a card back to the top of the deck. Very dynamic but I especially want to see those moments where it is unkown, those will be super fun. Everyone loves scratch tickets.

As for powers, yeah, some variation on teraforming (destroy an enviroment, you can play or discard the top card of your deck) would be awesome. Hopefully he has some good support too to play with the "robot with feelings" aspect like "time travel rescue" (destroy to prevent damage to an ally) or "nano medic bots" to heal allies.

fanaka66
fanaka66's picture

Unfortunately, they're going to take a page from Risk: Legacy...

If Omnitron-X defeats Omnitron, you need to tear up all Omnitron and Omnitron-X cards you own!

It's you and me against the world.
When do we attack?

Flex Apollo

Don't get me wrong. >Games has held claim on at least 30 of my dollars since this was announced. But watching that video and then looking at his card, man, May will not come soon enough. And I thought Chrono-Ranger was going to be the reason I bought this expansion ...

Omnitron-X's power looks OPed at first glance, but I bet in application it's a lot like most other innate powers. You use it for the first few rounds until the hero (or in this case, all the heroes) are set and then move on to using more situational powers. Even its potential against villain or environment decks pales when compared to cards in most other control heroes' decks because it's random without offering options between cards (like Infrared Eyepiece or Visionary's control abilities). Against many villains, putting cards into play or the trash can be equally detrimental. Still, it looks to become one of the more useful innate powers in the game and I can't wait to get Omnitron-X on to my kitchen table.

Question - "Put it into play or into the trash." Is this considered destroying the card? I ask because Wraith's Eyepiece + Omnitron-X's Timeshift could = goodbye Forced Deployment if you can manipulate the deck and put the card into the trash without destroying it. There are probably a couple of combos like that in the game where this wording will be significant.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

(Please don't take him seriously - fanaka66 is just kidding, folks! smiley)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Putting into the trash is not destroying (or discarding) in the same manner that putting into play is not playing.  The inverse is true, however, that destroying (or discarding) is putting into the trash (just as playing is the same as putting into play).  It's a superset sort of thing.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

What if I were to discard one of my two hands?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

koutrou
koutrou's picture

TheJayMann wrote:

Rabit wrote:

What if I were to discard one of my two hands?

Then you could destroy Toxic Seaweed

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I wonder if Omnitron-X has drones in his deck that interact with the Omnitron drone-specific actions... and vice versa. 

Greonhal
Playtester

Hmm... he's got a red crystal in his head. And he's all blue. And his mission is to stop robots that want to destroy all life. And that font looks oddly familiar.

Oh hey, I love that game!

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

I'm not seeing a pic, Greonhal.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

logan_mann

Its there for me

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Ah, am at a customer site, and didn't realize their wireless filtered.  Got on via my phone, and now I see it.  Woot! Go megaman!

Edit: Oh, and also YAY!  I don't have to worry about accidentally saying Omnitron-X on the public forums anymore!  My guest designer card from the last kickstarter is one of his, so I've actually known about him for awhile.  Whew, glad other people know now.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

TheJayMann wrote:

(just as playing is the same as putting into play)

I could've sworn that those were declared separate things.  Is there a link to this ruling?  I seem to remember this being a source of confusion at one point.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Playing is the same as putting into play, however, putting into play is not the same as playing.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably "entering play" that is the union of the two, i.e. when you play a card, it is entering play, and if you put a card into play, it is entering play.  My original understanding is that if you were playing a card, you were also putting it into play, whereas if you are simply putting a card into play, you may not actually be playing the card.

By the way, way to take my statement out of context, as you ignored the earlier statement where I actually said that putting into play was not playing, and my latter statement where I said that one is a superset of the other.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I wasn't trying to take it out of context.  I apologize.  I just have a very poor understanding of the difference between "playing" and "putting into play" and I wasn't sure what was said by >G.  By no means was I trying to insult or misquote you.  I just wanted to make sure I was playing the game right with those concepts as I am constantly unsure that I understand them.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Veet

Has anyone else noticed that the Omnitron-X backstory comes with the promise of 8 more Omnitron promo cards?

My 8 year old son and I both agree that we like Chuck E Cheese better than Plague Rat. He is much easier to beat up.

ketigid

Veet wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that the Omnitron-X backstory comes with the potential of 8 more Omnitron promo cards?

Edit and emphasis mine. :)

Veet

ketigid wrote:

Veet wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that the Omnitron-X backstory comes with the potential of 8 more Omnitron promo cards?

Edit and emphasis mine. :)

I disagree, without 8 more omnitrons you get paradox.

My 8 year old son and I both agree that we like Chuck E Cheese better than Plague Rat. He is much easier to beat up.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Would Cosmic Omnitron counts as Omnitron-II?

ketigid

Finally got to see the video. It's awesome!

Except for 1 thing. I hate to say this but... Repair Drones are S85, not S83. :(

UXM266
UXM266's picture

VanceAttack wrote:

His power is going to be amazing. Both for getting heroes to move quicker (AKA Absolute Zero/Nightmist etc) and to stop potential threats before they have the opportunity to come out (minion heavy decks). 

When I read your comment i was confused. "How do you know he helps other Heroes? His power is for his deck onl...." Then I re-read his power, and saw so much more potential. Man, he is going to be awesome.

Also,

Thanks to TheJayMann and koutrou i got a new signature!

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Yeah, what I look forward to is using him when Infrared Eyepiece or Dark Visionary are in play.  Then you put the GOOD card on bottom and put the BAD card on top and Time Shift it into the trash :)

lugaru
lugaru's picture

I'm also now banning Omnitron-X and Dark Visionary vs Gloomweaver.

Dark Visionary: "hey look, a relic... do you mind?"

Omnitron-X: "of course not... there we go, it is in the trash now"

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Laf, but that's the fun....Why would you ban it?  It only means it'd be available for a Vast Following.  ;)

Vyolynce
Vyolynce's picture

Every time I beat Gloomweaver it's the old-fashioned way, not via relic trashing.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

The only times we've won by relics, we would have won by damage in a turn or 2 anyway, and we just waited so we could say we'd done it.  So yeah, pretty much same here.

drstein

I do not understand very well how her power works. Assume that Omnitron-X looks at the tock of Fanatic's deck and it is an ongoing card with a power (or a relic). I assume that it goes to Fanatic's play region?

Also, assume it is a one shot like Smite the transgressor (Fanatic does 1 target 2 melee damage. you may use an extra power this turn). The damage part is clear, but who gets to use an extra power this turn? Fanatic? or Omnitron? If it is Fanatic is the second portion lost? or it is saved for her next turn?

Also, can this power be used to play Unity's drones? it is not a usual "play from hand" move

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

1) Yes, it goes into her play region.

2) Fanatic would get the extra power.  It says "an additional", and I believe it's been confirmed by Christopher in other threads that 0 + 1 = 1 as far as "additional" powers go on turns that aren't yours.

3) Yes, it can play Unity's golems.  Omnitron-X and Unity are good buddies :)

The best way to think of it is the same way that Alacritous Subdominant works for Argent Adept.  The only difference is that it works when you can't play cards because it's "put into play" instead, and you have the option of not playing it.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Omnitron rebuilt itself, in a humanoid form, and approximated an empathy-component. However, this proved to be its undoing! This new, tenth form of Omnitron realized with horror, a new emotion, that its previous purpose had been death and destruction! It focused its new efforts on returning to its point of origin to destroy itself before millions of lives could be threatened!

I missed this originally.  Somehow I'd gotten it in my head that Omnitron-X was a component of Omnitron's that had broken away from the rest of the collective and rebelled, not that Omnitron-X was in fact all of Omnitron, just with a shiny new emotion chip.  That makes it a little creepier (which is good).  The heroes aren't just fighting alongside the "good" part of Omnitron against the "bad" parts.  They're actually fighting alongside the villain itself.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

lugaru
lugaru's picture

Spiff wrote:

Omnitron rebuilt itself, in a humanoid form, and approximated an empathy-component. However, this proved to be its undoing! This new, tenth form of Omnitron realized with horror, a new emotion, that its previous purpose had been death and destruction! It focused its new efforts on returning to its point of origin to destroy itself before millions of lives could be threatened!

I missed this originally.  Somehow I'd gotten it in my head that Omnitron-X was a component of Omnitron's that had broken away from the rest of the collective and rebelled, not that Omnitron-X was in fact all of Omnitron, just with a shiny new emotion chip.  That makes it a little creepier (which is good).  The heroes aren't just fighting alongside the "good" part of Omnitron against the "bad" parts.  They're actually fighting alongside the villain itself.

Yeah, the new expansion really plays with the tone that many of the best time travel stories have... that sense of dread you get from stuff like Days of Future Past. Omnitrons and Unities stories both bummed me out, and it is a good thing, that is what I expect from comic book dystopian futures.

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

I just got a chance to play Omnitron-X with Christopher today, and it is a really fun hero, especially if you can get it set up right and bolstered by its allies. I'm not sure how much I'm really allowed to say beyond that, but I will confirm that most (all?) of Omnitron's fun toys are represented in X's loadout.

This character is definitely the most exciting part of ST for me.

Grinnell College 2016

IKerensky

If Omnitron-X is really Omnitron from the futur, wouldn't he :

1- Have as much HP as the Omnitron Vilain.

2- Have power to automatically shutdown Omnitron because he know the code access, security procedure and anything else he need to infect and instantly destroy Omnitron ?

Ok, I wasn't really asking, just pointing out how time travel make for sloppy retcon.

ketigid

electro pulse explosive! if its true then it will be way cool.

Tegre
Tegre's picture

IKerensky wrote:

If Omnitron-X is really Omnitron from the futur, wouldn't he :1- Have as much HP as the Omnitron Vilain.2- Have power to automatically shutdown Omnitron because he know the code access, security procedure and anything else he need to infect and instantly destroy Omnitron ? Ok, I wasn't really asking, just pointing out how time travel make for sloppy retcon.

Even if he knew the code access, security procedure and anything else, Omnitron would still see this version of him as a separete threat and would probably try to out evolve and at that point try to deviate from Omnitron-X's path of history.

However it can be figured that even if he did succeed in shutting down Omnitron - that X failed somewhere as Omnitron somehow comes back and X still exists. Otherwise, if X truely succeeds - X would cease to exist and comes from a splinter of time where he doesn't and eventually Omnitron creates X.

Ok yeah, you're right Time Travel is a mess.

flamethrower49
Playtester

IKerensky wrote:

If Omnitron-X is really Omnitron from the futur, wouldn't he :1- Have as much HP as the Omnitron Vilain.2- Have power to automatically shutdown Omnitron because he know the code access, security procedure and anything else he need to infect and instantly destroy Omnitron ? Ok, I wasn't really asking, just pointing out how time travel make for sloppy retcon.

Please.  You think disabling all those codes and procedures wasn't the first thing Omnitron did?  It practically says it in his backstory.  Omnitron has no exploitable weaknesses. 

Can't fight you on the hit points, though.  The conversion from Villain to Hero does a number on your diodes, I guess.  How people like Ambuscade and the Matriarch have so many more hit points than the heroes is a bit of a mystery anyway, but that's really a whole different issue.

TheSoundOfTrees

It's a question of size : Omnitron-X is a humanoid, normal size build, in which Omnitron transfered its "persona", no more the building total warbot/factory he used to be. Miniaturization doesn't preserve hit points :)

He changed Morph, as Eclipse Phase players say.

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

IKerensky

No and almost

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Yeah, there's a huge difference in size between the two of them. Omnitron has 100 because he's a massive robot with lots of different parts. OX is just human sized.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

evandan55 wrote:

Yeah, there's a huge difference in size between the two of them. Omnitron has 100 because he's a massive robot with lots of different parts. OX is just human sized.

So now his name is Ox. Easier to say and write! 

benificus

If Omnitron-X is really Omnitron from the futur, wouldn't he :

1- Have as much HP as the Omnitron Vilain.

If hero and villain HP are directly equivalent and simply represent how much physical damage you can take, the entire game makes no sense anyway.  You're fine all the way to 0 and then suddenly you're out without weakening at all along the way, Legacy is an invulnerable Superman-type but he has less HP than Baron Blade, it's immediately nonsense.  HP are an abstraction that represent, I dunno, like, some kind of advantage or disadvantage in a dramatically appropriate way, but do not by any means represent actual physical health or damage taken on a 1-for-1 level.  Villains have a ton becasue they have "the upper hand" on any given hero due to some brilliant evil scheme, or invention, or being the size of a house, or whatever, and as a way to, in conjunction with their mechanics, determine how long they ought to last and how difficult they are.  In essence, villains have more because the plot of a team-based comic demands that the villain be a real threat that is complicated to defeat, and that a team of heroes, no matter how individually powerful, need to work together to do it.  The second a villain joins the heroes, for dramatic purposes, he is now subject to the rule of dramatic necessity in the same way.

This is really the only way to treat HP in any game, from D&D on, that makes any sense.  That's how I treat it, anyway.

(I just realized a while later that this thread is pretty old, I apologize for dredging it up with an off topic post. I was googling Omnitron-X and it came up, didn't see how old it was.)

NAL0781
NAL0781's picture
Playtester

benificus wrote:

If Omnitron-X is really Omnitron from the futur, wouldn't he :1- Have as much HP as the Omnitron Vilain.

If hero and villain HP are directly equivalent and simply represent how much physical damage you can take, the entire game makes no sense anyway.  You're fine all the way to 0 and then suddenly you're out without weakening at all along the way, Legacy is an invulnerable Superman-type but he has less HP than Baron Blade, it's immediately nonsense.  HP are an abstraction that represent, I dunno, like, some kind of advantage or disadvantage in a dramatically appropriate way, but do not by any means represent actual physical health or damage taken on a 1-for-1 level.  Villains have a ton becasue they have "the upper hand" on any given hero due to some brilliant evil scheme, or invention, or being the size of a house, or whatever, and as a way to, in conjunction with their mechanics, determine how long they ought to last and how difficult they are.  In essence, villains have more because the plot of a team-based comic demands that the villain be a real threat that is complicated to defeat, and that a team of heroes, no matter how individually powerful, need to work together to do it.  The second a villain joins the heroes, for dramatic purposes, he is now subject to that rule.This is the only real way to treat in any game, from D&D on, because they make no real logical sense.  That's how I treat it, anyway.

I've always looked at it similar to this since the playing the old RPG Phantasie on the Commodore 64, but I think this was a great way to explain it.

ketigid

Does Omnitron-X have hero minions in his deck? Like Unity?

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

ketigid wrote:

Does Omnitron-X have hero minions in his deck? Like Unity?

Nope.

But yeah, HP is definitely not a physical representation of how much damage someone can take. Maybe sometimes it is, though, like in the case of The Dreamer, though they probably went with 6 HP (aside from her age) to account for the occasional rouge damage that might occur to her.

But in the case of Miss Information's flipped side, where she has a higher HP than any other hero, I see it as a representation of the heroes trying to get to her. I mean, obviously Legacy could punch this woman in the face once and she'd be out cold. But then that would take away the difficulty.

Or think of the Mask of the Matriarch. It's got 9 HP. The heroes aren't repeatedly punching her in the face to break the mask--working through the 9 HP is them trying to swipe it from her.

Pages