The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

OK Setback has won me over

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
cnranger
OK Setback has won me over

I've played Setback a few times and been generally unimpressed. He's got some fun things going on but overall my experience was meh.

Then we played Legacy and Setback (me) with Ra and Visionary (wife) vs Kaargra Warfang in the block and it all changed.

Kaargra got an awesome start. First turn she flips herself, second turn she plays the card where she destroys one equipment/ongoing (which is all anyone had) and gets a title, third turn she plays the same card and again destroys all our stuff and gets another title.

By the end of the third villain turn she has three titles, one where she plays the bottom card of her deck the first time she takes damage each turn, one where she damages all targets 1 psychic the first time she takes damage each turn AND the one where each time she damages a target it get +2 damage taken the next time it gets hit. I admitted it looked grim and suggest we just start over but we decided to play it out it couldn't possible last much longer, what with all our stuff wiped, two villain cards played per turn plus a villain card each hero turn we damage her and crazy damage all over the place.

At one point she had all but one of her gladiators out and once. Between Legacy's boost and Visionairy and Ra's damage cards we were able to get a pretty good chunk of crowd favor tokens, plus visionary manipulated the crowd by putting fickle fans on the bottom of her deck, so when someone hit Kaargra it swung the crowd in our favor. 

The environment meanwhile played Defessive Displacement Reduce all damage by 2, which then destroyed itself, The Warden, Lock down, Filter Guard and Filter Agent.

Now to get to Setback, through his first couple turns he was able to build up a good pool of tokens. First turn: Plays and uses Looking up.

Second turn he risked into Fumbling Fool which discard the top card of each desk, including his own Karmatic Retribution (7 Damage for 7 tokens, dang).

Third turn Risks Cause and Effect, which does 10 damage to himself and Kaargra.

Fourth turn Risk Whoops Sorry, the card where he destroys another heroes stuff, the only other cards out besides Silver Lining which Setback played this turn and is not an eligible card to destoy, and Legacy's just set up combo of Next Evolution and Lead from the Front, double dang.

Fifth and Final turn Hero Favor is 15 and Kaargra 16. Kaargra is down to 12 health. Setback is the final hero in turn order. Token pool is up to 12, Setback plays the card that gives him +1 damage to and from villains for each 3 tokens in his pool. Risk...Exceeds Expectations! I remove 5 tokens from his pool leaving 9, to do 5 targets 3+3+1(galvanize) 7 damage. Most villain targets were under Kaargra's +2 damage from her title, including Kaargra herself. It adds 6 tokens to our favor pool for a total of 21 tokens, brings Kaargra to 3 health she hits everyone for 1 damage again incaping Setback but Silver Lining brings him back. Kaargra's at 2 health. Just barely not enough to win the game, and Kaargra is going to get enough tokens on her own turn to win but WAIT. Environment Turn, Kaargra is now tied for lowest health, FILTER guard hit and takes her out. Heroes Win!

True the environment won the game for us but looking back I see Setback's Fumbling fool on turn 2 discarded a Prision Riot, meaning the FILTER agents were only there because Setback accidently stopped a prision riot which directly led to Kaargra's defeat.

The text on Exceeds Expectations explains it all "There's... no way that should have worked."

TL;DR Setback is awesome!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I 100% concure with your assesment that Setback is awesome.

Now, if I could just figure out the best way to utilize his DW promo...I generally can't see my way clear of ever giving up Risk.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I had an awesome time with him yesterday, running with Looking Up and Wrong Time and Place for most of the game. Apostate kept hitting himself with his Gauntlet of Perdition!

Readinguselessm...

Setback is my fave.  Can't wait for him to come out on the digital version.