The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

non-Sentinels art

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester
non-Sentinels art

I hate to be a tease, but consider this more of a vent. 

My daughter (nom d'Internet "The Munchkin," age 5) drew a really adorable picture of Hermione Grainger on Saturday morning - she and her brother had watched the film versions of both Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets last week. At first, her Hermione had curly red hair like the Munchkin herself, so it took me a few guesses to figure out who the drawing was. It's complete in black school robes and red striped tie.

Unfortunately, she refuses to let me take a picture of it despite the really large number of people I know who would find the picture to be incredibly cute. It'd kind of driving me crazy.

She did a near-duplicate for my father while he was visiting us for the College World Series super-regional games last weekend. It was utterly wasted on him because he is one of the most unimaginative people in the entire world. As in, my brain refuses to accept the notion of the man reading anything which isn't non-fiction. As in, the Grasshopper (age 9) was trying to tell him stuff about Minecraft, and when my father finally gets a word in edgewise it's to the effect of "I don't know what any of that means because I don't believe in zombies."  Had the Munchkin not made a point of giving the drawing directly to my father as he was leaving, I think he would have left it here, and she would have been crushed.

End rant, I hope.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

"I don't believe in zombies." Does he think we all believe in zombies?

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

There are so many different kinds of zombi (speaking from dissertation experience). Does he disbelieve in all of them?

Also, who crushes a little child's heart?

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

Zombies don't require your belief to kill you.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

My father is one of the least imaginative people I know. He and his father are the only two folks I know for whom the thought of them reading any of the Harry Potter books is Vizzini's favorite word. The fact that I vividly remember him teaching me Monopoly stands out because it's almost the only time I can ever recall him playing a game with me that wasn't checkers/chess.

as for his brush-off of the Grasshopper, I'll give him that the Grasshopper has a tendency to dice into talking about a subject assuming that the person he's talking to knows as much as he does about a subject because why wouldn't they? And he'd been rambling for long enough it was a wonder he hadn't stopped for air yet. Still...