The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Nightmists' Oblivion Spell

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wolverine-X
Nightmists' Oblivion Spell

Looking for clarification or generally accepted interpretation of Nightmists' Oblivion spell. It says to draw two cards and choose one to do damage to each target and the other to do damage to each non- hero target.   The way I read this, for one card everybody - heroes and Villians - take damage and then for the other card only Villians take damage. 

Does anybody have a different take or a rules clarification?

Thanks!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think you've got it right.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wolverine-X wrote:

The way I read this, for one card everybody - heroes and Villians - take damage and then for the other card only Villians take damage.

One clarification: for one card, all targets (heroes, villians, and environment) - take damage and then for the other card only villian and environment targets take damage. wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Does the one that damages everybody have to happen first, or can you choose the order the cards deal their damage?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

mocachild

you can choose the order.  at least that is how i understand it.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

What's the exact wording of the card? I can answer that if I know what it says.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

If I remember correctly, it first affects all targets, then it affects all non-Hero targets.  I don't believe you can choose the order.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

ketigid

Off topic...

Spiff, McBehrer and myself are always on the look out for new Infernal Relics information because we're not PT and have not received our KS. angrycool

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

As a piece of generosity to my poor deprived fellow forumites, the rules text for Oblivion is as follows:

Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Nightmist deals each target one of the revealed card's [spell point] infernal damage, then deals each non-hero target the other revealed card's [spell point] infernal damage. Put the revealed cards into your trash.

So no, you can't choose the order. You have to damage yourself and the other heroes before you burn the villains.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yep. The word "then" makes it completely unambiguous.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Katsue
Katsue's picture

pwatson1974 wrote:

As a piece of generosity to my poor deprived fellow forumites, the rules text for Oblivion is as follows:

Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Nightmist deals each target one of the revealed card's [spell point] infernal damage, then deals each non-hero target the other revealed card's [spell point] infernal damage. Put the revealed cards into your trash.

So no, you can't choose the order. You have to damage yourself and the other heroes before you burn the villains.

Not quite, since I believe you can target the villains before the heroes with the first effect.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, technically you can target all non-Heroes with the first effect then hit the Heroes with the first effect, then hit the non-Heroes with the second effect. wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Wolverine-X

Ah, good catch Rabit! I forgot about the environment. smiley

Thanks all for the feedback!