The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

My iPad doesn't know how to shuffle decks

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
My iPad doesn't know how to shuffle decks

The worst part about getting a new deck is thinking it's been shuffled, then drawing the same card 3 times in a row. 

Well apaprently, my iPad doesn't know how tio shuffle.

In One Game I get three hasten dooms in a row, in another I get 3 Summon Staffs. See the images.

Let's just say my doom did come sooner than later. That wasn't a fun game. I ama shamed that Advanced Baron Balde beat me with a surprisingly pwoerful team.

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Yeah I've had similar things happen in the app and real life.   With the villain it's unfortunate but for Ra that's not a bad thing.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Ra it was awesome, i get killer card draw. But Hasten Doom, i mean, that's just mean.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

If you never drew the same card 3 times in a row, then you would have a better suspicion that there is a problem with shuffling.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My Kindle cheats for Omnitron.  Seriously, it's been paid off.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

If I did my math correctly, the odds of there being 3 Hasten Dooms in a row in a shuffled deck is roughly 4% (Assuming it's Baron Blade's deck).  That's unlikely, but if the deck is played enough...

And of course, the likelyhood of actually drawing the Dooms is even smaller, but again, I suspect it's in the realm of reasonable occurance.

I feel your pain, though.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Playing AbZero on my Nook, my opening hand once was all 4 Isothermic Transducers. It was not a pretty fight.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I actually made the comment to Jeremy at a con, recently, about how the electrlonic game actually is random. When I'm playing with physical cards, I tend to unclump my decks before actually shuffling them, which results in fewer instances of this kind of experience. It's actually less random, as it reduces the likelihood of the same cards coming up.

I honestly like that the electronic version occasionally hits those clumps, as annoying as they can sometimes be. cool It's not exactly the same experience I get with physical cards, anyway, so I'm fine with that aspect being different, also.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

thewagon
thewagon's picture
Playtester

A few times I've destroyed Pervasive Red Dust, got all my equipment back, then had Pervasive Red Dust come out again.

Yeah I know the environment deck is smaller so it's more likely, but still . . .

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Well, it does get into everything...

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Yesterday while playing Ambuscade, he played a trap and then after it reshuffled it back in, the trap was the top card of his deck.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

It sucks when the villians get cards clumped together, but it also feels cheaty if the heroes do, too. Awesome examples of times I had lucky like that:

OMI (AbZ's Onboard Module Installation) draws an OMI, searches, shuffles. Play OMI, draws OMI even after shuffling. I look to my group and swear I didn't use any sleight of hand, jokingly. I search, and draw. I play my third OMI, draw into ANOTHER OMI. I'm speechless, since that's twice I shuffled and it still surfaces. It was a fun turn.

I also had a game against Deadline as the Naturalist. I draw into Crafty Assault three times in a row, destroying six catastrophes total that way.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ran a demo at a con once where a player picked up Ra and got an opening hand of 3 Summon Staffs (Staves?) and a Staff. She thought it was a horrible hand until she read what they actually did...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Reverend Pete

I played a game with my son a couple of weeks ago and I (after shuffling well each time, I swear!) used summon staff to draw another summon staff 3 times in a row.

We laughed a lot. He's 8 and said it was the greatest day of his life.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I've seem triple Hasten Dooms three times today.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

I've yet to see a Hasten Doom in the app without seeing at least one more behind it.  Then yesterday against Ambuscade it was two Armed and Dangerous back to back.

Edit: Not that I think the app is cheating, just my bad luck.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

“Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action”

Maybe Ambuscade got to the Handelabra team after all.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Seriously, the app cheats.  You all think that Baron Blade costume is just for fun. . .

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

Seriously, the app cheats.  You all think that Baron Blade costume is just for fun. . .

Did no body read the credits?

Not that I'm just getting you to read my name

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

UXM266
UXM266's picture

It's just a little sad when Baron Blade, against a strong team, beats you. it's like.... getting beaten up by a duck. And having it filmed.

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

That duck caught me by suprise and you know it.

Powerhound_2000

I just did a game against advanced Voss where he played two Forced Deployments on his turn.  Too bad for him he was at twenty health and I had way more than that coming his way that round.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I had 2 Forced Deploys come out in two turns with a ton of minions (including all the guards) in the trash.  Visionary brain burned to avoid the first, when the second came out I was pretty pleased.

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Adding another story:

I got a hand of all 4 Oblivions, and in the same game played Lash to reveal Lash to reveal Lash. Also in the same game, our Wraith played 3 Inventions off of each other. 

And Voss playing back to back Deployments is always the worst thing.

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Not really, if you can stall through the subsequent Forced Deployments so that they trigger to no effect. I like having Haka Savage Mana all the minions and underlings whenever possible.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Lost to Dawn, she was at 4 hp and no citizens in play, flipped back to her front side.

Pillars came out and played Channel the Eclipse, which immediately played a second Channel, then Citizen Truth.

Normal play was Return, which then pulled Anvil, who pulled Hammer.  Start of first hero turn played Aurora.

Man I hate pillars of hercules.

This was a game after Voss played his ships to start the game, round 3 we almost had the flagship down when mars base played weaponry, Voss played psy-weaver and flagship pulled frosthound for 14 damage to each hero.

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

(25*24*23)/23 = 600

The odds of a particular card being in any particular place in Baron Blade's deck is 1 in 25- then for a specific card to follow after is 1 in 24, and then another specific card is 1 in 23. However, since there are twenty three possible positions for the first card (it can't be one of the bottom two on the deck for this to happen), that means there's twenty three different ways to get the outcome needed, so you then divide by 23, effectively ending with 25*24 or simply 600. HOWEVER, since Baron Blade starts with a Mobile Defense Platform in play, his deck effectively has 24 cards, meaning that we should really be looking at:

(24*23*22)/22 = 552

So the final odds we come at are 1 in 552, which while highly unlikely, isn't all that rare in statistical terms.

We can figure out Summon Staff's odds in a similar manner:

(40*39*38*37)/37 = 59280

But the problem with this is that because I don't know if you actually drew them all in a row, the real odds are probably much more common... And you clearly had at least two of them in your hand to begin with.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

(25*24*23)/23 = 600The odds of a particular card being in any particular place in Baron Blade's deck is 1 in 25- then for a specific card to follow after is 1 in 24, and then another specific card is 1 in 23. However, since there are twenty three possible positions for the first card (it can't be one of the bottom two on the deck for this to happen), that means there's twenty three different ways to get the outcome needed, so you then divide by 23, effectively ending with 25*24 or simply 600. HOWEVER, since Baron Blade starts with a Mobile Defense Platform in play, his deck effectively has 24 cards, meaning that we should really be looking at:(24*23*22)/22 = 552So the final odds we come at are 1 in 552, which while highly unlikely, isn't all that rare in statistical terms.

Not quite; those are the odds of having Hasten Doom A, then HDB, then HDC, but the three cards can be in any order, so multiply by six (3*2*1) for a 1 in 92 chance.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

MarioFanaticXV wrote:
(25*24*23)/23 = 600The odds of a particular card being in any particular place in Baron Blade's deck is 1 in 25- then for a specific card to follow after is 1 in 24, and then another specific card is 1 in 23. However, since there are twenty three possible positions for the first card (it can't be one of the bottom two on the deck for this to happen), that means there's twenty three different ways to get the outcome needed, so you then divide by 23, effectively ending with 25*24 or simply 600. HOWEVER, since Baron Blade starts with a Mobile Defense Platform in play, his deck effectively has 24 cards, meaning that we should really be looking at:(24*23*22)/22 = 552So the final odds we come at are 1 in 552, which while highly unlikely, isn't all that rare in statistical terms.

Not quite; those are the odds of having Hasten Doom A, then HDB, then HDC, but the three cards can be in any order, so multiply by six (3*2*1) for a 1 in 92 chance.

Those are the odds that any given shuffling of BB's deck would have three Hasten Doom's in a row. I think a more precise question of interest, though, is what is the likelihood that one would see three Hasten Doom's in a row in a game. This is different than asking whether or not the deck itself _has_ three Hasten Doom's in a row, because one typically does not see the entire deck during a game.

The odds of _SEEING_ three Hasten Doom's in a row, then are likely a bit better than 1/92, because the parts of the deck that cannot have three Hasten Dooms in a row (starting with the second to last or last card) are the least likely parts of the deck to be seen. Further, if we include the likelihood of seeing three Hasten Dooms in a row after Baron Blade flips, the odds improve further, as after flipping all three Mobile Defense Platforms are removed. Even more importantly, we're now seeing into two different shuffles in the same game, which my intuition suggests would increase the odds on the order of about 25%. Admittedly, if we're considering these sorts of things, we also need to consider that we might see the first or even second Hasten Doom of a triplet that are consecutve in the shuffle without seeing all three.

Grossly speculating, therefore, I'd say the actual likelihood of seeing three Hasten Dooms in a row is more like 1 in 70.

Now, consider the likelihood of seeing any card in Baron Blade's deck three times in a row. Not sure how many cards are in that deck three times, but I bet the odds get considerably better, perhaps to as good as 1 in 50 or 1 in 40.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Eeh, I'm not sure I agree with you. Given that a game of Sentinels (particularly against the Baron) will last about (plucking a number out of thin air here) eight rounds (conservative? wildly overestimating? who knows), and Hasten Doom is the only card that plays an extra card in his deck, we'd need Hasten Doom to be one of the top, say, four cards of his deck either pre-flip or post-flip. So, (3*2*1)*4/(24*23*22)+ (3*2*1)*4/(22*21*20)= 0.00457, or 1 in 218, which means even worse odds.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

Eeh, I'm not sure I agree with you. Given that a game of Sentinels (particularly against the Baron) will last about (plucking a number out of thin air here) eight rounds (conservative? wildly overestimating? who knows), and Hasten Doom is the only card that plays an extra card in his deck, we'd need Hasten Doom to be one of the top, say, four cards of his deck either pre-flip or post-flip. So, (3*2*1)*4/(24*23*22)+ (3*2*1)*4/(22*21*20)= 0.00457, or 1 in 218, which means even worse odds.

Good point!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:
MarioFanaticXV wrote:

I forgot about that, but you are right sir or madame.

ViolentSilence

Ronway wrote:

Yesterday while playing Ambuscade, he played a trap and then after it reshuffled it back in, the trap was the top card of his deck.

I had that happen twice in the same game yesterday.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

When I play Ambuscade on the tabletop, I shuffle his deck underneath the table so that there's a normal chance of that happening.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I try to do that, but I can actually tell where the traps are by touch.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I always cut the deck after a shuffle.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Wager Master gets more foreign cards in the deck than Ambuscade has traps available.

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

There's a curve to some of my decks, and Ambuscade is one of them- this makes it very obvious where the trap are, unfortunately.

Not nearly as bad as Sky Scraper or Captain Cosmic were in that regard though... Not sure how those two got so bent. And the strange thing is, my other WotC decks weren't like that at all.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

There's a curve to some of my decks, and Ambuscade is one of them- this makes it very obvious where the trap are, unfortunately.Not nearly as bad as Sky Scraper or Captain Cosmic were in that regard though... Not sure how those two got so bent. And the strange thing is, my other WotC decks weren't like that at all.

I think all of my WotC cards were pretty severly curved.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

I have several hero cards across several decks in the base game that are curved. Hoping that isn't permanent. This didn't seem to strike any of the other boxes, at least.

Powerhound_2000

The cards seem to be made from similar stock as MtG cards.   In that I've had some cards bend and can get them into normal shape without much issue.   As long as they haven't been completely folded in half you should be able to work them to being flat again.  

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

The cards seem to be made from similar stock as MtG cards.   In that I've had some cards bend and can get them into normal shape without much issue.   As long as they haven't been completely folded in half you should be able to work them to being flat again.  

It actually shocked me that I needed to post a guide on bending the decks back into shape on BGG of all places.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

I found that shuffling the decks seems to do the job. My early reaction was unnecessary. :)

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

There's always bound to be a bout of bad luck. Today i was fighting omnitron in the ruins of atlantis, the kraken was out and then the atlantean font of power came out. Omnitron played terraforming, and terraforming proceeded to lead into 2 electro pulse explosive, proceeding to murder all of my heros.

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

If it took both EPEs, then it wasn't a one-shot.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Please, my best friends second game in the app was against Omnitron, first turn went as follows.

1. Omnitron Flips
  2. Omnitron plays EPE
  3. Omnitron plays the other EPE.

All the heroes were dead at the end of Omnitron's second turn.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ouch. I've definitely had the environment play an EPE before now. It's one of those times where you think you're doing okay, and then that happens, and depending on how far through the game you are everyone's suddenly at about half health, single figures, or outright incapped :(.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Tachyon with synaptic interruption is one of the only counter to those events just redirect damage on EPE: problem solved...

To a lesser extent signatured Writhe could achieve a close result to that

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I think a Flak Jacket would do the job as well, even if you couldn't redirect the damage.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

It would save yourself but not your team with a flak jacket, by redirecting an EPE's damage on itself you automaticaly destroy it except on the damage reduction side on advance were you leave it at 1 hp meaning MUCH lower damage to teammates. Tachyon just thrives on such high bursts of damage to redirect. And going from 15 to everybody to 3 to everybody in advanced mode because of writhe is also nothing to sneeze at.

Pages