The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Limited Randomisation of setup

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
ViolentSilence
Limited Randomisation of setup

Whilst I'm suggesting tweaks...

Would it be possible to have a randomise button for each set, in addition to the "Randomise" button? It'd be quite nice to set a villain or environment, then randomise the other elements (So you could take a random set of heroes up against CItizen Dawn in Rook City, or the Freedom Four against a random villain and environment)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

One way to accomplish something similar is to first randomize, then change out the parts you want.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

ViolentSilence

I know, but that is rather fiddly changing out 4 heroes to put another 4 in for example, instead of just pressing a button that would randomise the heroes alone

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

If you're going to change things, what's the point of randomizing? wink

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Greywind wrote:
If you're going to change things, what's the point of randomizing? wink

Partial randomization. For example "I want to fight this villain, but I don't care what heroes I use." or "I want it to be random, but I'm really not in the mood to play as Nightmist.".

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I am fairly certain it's on Handelabra's list of 'features that we should implement, but which are less important than the rest of the expansions and online multiplayer'. All in good time.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

ViolentSilence wrote:

I know, but that is rather fiddly changing out 4 heroes to put another 4 in for example, instead of just pressing a button that would randomise the heroes alone

Wouldn't it be easier, then, to randomize and just change out the villain and environments to the ones you want?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Only if you're doing it that way and not say picking a team of 5 heroes to go against random villain in random place.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

ViolentSilence wrote:

I don't see what's fiddly about it. Keep hitting randomize until you're done wanting to hit randomize, then set anything that you definitely want. For instance, if you want to play a game with four heroes against The Matriarch, with one of the heroes definitely being Tachyon, hit the Randomize button as many times as you like, then change the villain for The Matriarch and change the last hero for Tachyon.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

it isn't a big issue, but it would be nice to have.  We often pick heroes we want the randomize the villain and environment, so we don't know what we are facing when we pick heroes.

To do that in the app is annoying.  So it will be nice if a "randomize everything not already set" option existed.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

While I don't care whether they add the feature to randomize specific parts or not, I am curious how it is more fiddly to click randomize, then click the villain and environment you wish to play in versus clicking the villain and environment you wish to play and then clicking something that says "randomize heroes". It's just in a different order, so I am not quite sure where the extra "fiddly" comes from.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

For "fiddly" I read "time consuming", I want to get to the game as quickly as possible!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

For "fiddly" I read "time consuming", I want to get to the game as quickly as possible!

Sure, but how is it more timeconsuming?

Either -- pick what you don't want to randomize, then randomize the rest

Or -- randomie, then pick what you don't want to randomize

Same amount of picks/time.

Now, the point about information order -- not wanting to know what the Villain/Environment will be before picking heroes, for instance, I can understand. Even so, decide the heroes, then randomize. Problem solved?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Because if I randomise everything then I have to click to remove the heroes the game selected and then click again to add the ones I want. It might only save a few seconds but it's a something that could be removed with additional programming.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

A locking mechanism where you could lock all heroes, lock the environment, or lock the villain (or all 3! :D) would go a long way towards this.  Put in what you want, lock it down, then randomize the rest.

Of course, then people might also want to lock individual heroes.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Yes, that sounds fantastic, locking stuff.

That way you could do any combination of locking any number of decks and randomising everything else that isn't locked. Then you can cater to such whims as "I want Tachyon, but I don't care about anything else. Oh, the Matriarch? That sounds fun, but I always use Tachyon against her. Maybe I should swap Tachyon for another random hero I don't already have. Bunker? Sure."

I'd personally love a less-random intelligent random mode which is weighted towards combinations or single decks you haven't already played, but that's a completely unreasonable thing to ask for.

Pulling stats to calculate potential win rate for games would also be brilliant - both in a "this match should be quite easy to win" and "oh, you want a hard match, here's a random hard match" kind of way, and that's not so unreasonable.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

jeanofmarc
jeanofmarc's picture

I also like the idea of locking the items you want to keep, and hitting randomize would swap out the ones that are not locked.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I also like that idea.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

I would love to see that feature implemented eventually.

ViolentSilence

jeanofmarc wrote:

I also like the idea of locking the items you want to keep, and hitting randomize would swap out the ones that are not locked.

Yeah, that was an alternate approach for what I wanted, I just ran in to the question that with a single randomise button, you can't control how many heroes are randomly generated, so you couldn't set the Villain and Environment then randomly go for a 4 person team (specifically). Not sure what solution works best, it's a fairly similar question as to the one raised in the team selection thread, but if we do see it, it'll be a long time after the online mulitplayer thing is sorted!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

arenson9 wrote:

Because if I randomise everything then I have to click to remove the heroes the game selected and then click again to add the ones I want. It might only save a few seconds but it's a something that could be removed with additional programming.

Aha! I'd failed to perceive that nuance. Thanks.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Also, there's nothing more annoying than choosing a hero team, then deciding that you want a random villain/enviroment and having to reselect the team.

(Actually, there is something more annoying: forgetting to choose Advanced and having to reselect everyone. If we could get a "restart with/without advanced" button, that'd be nice)

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal