The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Kismet - Unsubtle Trickster Rule Question

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
MCPooge
Kismet - Unsubtle Trickster Rule Question

I don't know if I did this correctly, so I figured I should ask.

On the flip side of the new promo Kismet, her end of turn effect "deals each hero target and The Talisman 2 psychic damage. Then," stuff. It also says she flips "Wheb The Talisman enters a hero play area."

My question is this: is that damage dealt at the same time to heroes and The Talisman, thus allowing you to potentially hit The Talisman first, take it to 0HP, move it to a hero play area, flip Kismet, and disregard the rest of that effect? It doesn't say to deal damage to the heroes then The Talisman, so I think I'm right. I just felt it behaved oddly, as we had so many Jinxes out (enough that she did 7 damage to The Talisman) that we effectively skipped over any mechanics on her Fortune Controller side.

Thanks for answering!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

She first hits the heroes. Whenever it says "deal x and y target z damage" the part listed first must also be the first hit.

MCPooge

Hmm. Fair enough. I could have sworn there were instances of the wording being "deal X damage, then y damage" in situations that it didn't seem to matter otherwise, but I believe you. Thanks!

Voob Gooblin
Voob Gooblin's picture

That's the intent; I remember this "and" discussion from that Kaargra thread a while back:

phantaskippy wrote:

Any use of "and" will happen sequentially.From search for a card and put it into play, to deal each target 2 fire and 2 projectile damage.Even Fanatic's Exorcism, you can't choose to deal the melee first, then the Radiant.Even Kaargra's target side, when she would be destroyed you destroy her titles and flip her cards.All uses of "and" in situations where timing is relevant are intended to be sequential.It may not be obvious, but it is at least consistent.

but I still find the lack of intuitiveness irksome, especially in situations like the Kismet one above, where the damage action isn't even broken up syntactically by the "and," implying a common sense simultaneity. It could have been written: "deal x z damage and y z damage," or, better: "deal x then y z damage,"—both forms better at implying sequence, and often employed elsewhere in the game, making the distinction confusing or conterintuitive.

If, theoretically, you wanted Kismet to deal damage to the talisman and hero targets simultaneously, rather than in order, how would you even write that on the card, if "and" always implies sequence? Would you add the word "simultaneously" at the end?—I've never seen that in the game, so it seems that whenever individual targets have to be specified in some way, they must be dealt damage in a predetermined sequence, never allowing player choice, which feels arbitrary.

Justmythoughtstho.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Voob Gooblin wrote:
If, theoretically, you wanted Kismet to deal damage to the talisman and hero targets simultaneously, rather than in order, how would you even write that on the card, if "and" always implies sequence? Would you add the word "simultaneously" at the end?
You've never seen that, because it never happens. In this game, nothing is EVER simultaneous, and all damage happens in one order or another.

Voob Gooblin wrote:
I've never seen that in the game, so it seems that whenever individual targets have to be specified in some way, they must be dealt damage in a predetermined sequence, never allowing player choice, which feels arbitrary.
Not sure what you mean, but there is frequently player choice in how to order damage. For instance, if something hits "all hero targets", then the players get to decide the order in which the hero targets get hit.
Voob Gooblin
Voob Gooblin's picture

Yes, I understand that everything ultimately happens in order, because otherwise the game would not function, and I never said there were no instances of player choice.

My point is, in situations where players are choosing target order, it is because the wording of the card suggests that the damage dealt is simultaneous, therefore up to players to decide the order. A quote from Christopher, in official rulings: 

"...anything else that acts 'simultaneously' goes in whatever order the players choose, as with all ambiguous situations in Sentinels of the Multiverse."

I feel that the "deal x and y z damage" wording creates an "ambiguous situation" that suggests spontaneity, and the order of damage should therefore be decided by players, as per that ruling.

If the word "and" always indicates sequence, then any situation where targets selected need to be specified by category, like "hero targets and the talisman," as opposed to "all hero targets" or "the 2 targest with the highest HP" will always have a predetermined order and never allow for player choice—that's what feels arbitrary to me, and I simply wish that less ambiguous wording had been used if there was indeed an intended order of actions (why not swap out "and" for "then"?).

But I'm also annoying.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Ah, got it, sorry for the confusion. I can assure you that adding the word 'simultaneously' to any of these cases would create huge amounts of confusion (because it is not actually simultaneous), and to me the small amount of loss of choice is worth it to have clear rules. But I did, for instance, push to have the order be explicitly flexible on the Termi-Nation Bunker card, because there the order really does matter a lot (depending what Modes you have out).

Voob Gooblin
Voob Gooblin's picture

Yeah sorry I meant that "Would you write 'simultaneously?" question rhetorically, as in no obviously that would be confusing—I can see how that was unclear now.

For me, I just interpret the "deal x and y z damage" wording intuitively as allowing player's choice, so the actual rules end up feeling like an obfuscation, but maybe most people just don't get hung up on this like I do.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

The only way around this that I can think of would be to write "in any order" as they did with the Termination Bunker promo.  Agree as to the overall point, the word "then" would have been much less ambigous.

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

I've always read cards like this with an implied 'then' after the 'and'.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Comrade Bubbles wrote:

And I believe that's the intention: Do things in the order described.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

Rabit wrote:

Comrade Bubbles wrote:

And I believe that's the intention: Do things in the order described.

Glad I wasn't doing wrong then!

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.