The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Kickstarter: Launched

427 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

The Baron never looked so delicious before. I'm oddly attracted to his insanity.

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

Tamar

Blossercubbles wrote:
The Baron never looked so delicious before. I'm oddly attracted to his insanity.

RIGHT?!  He's hot in that "I'm crazy and would totally blow things up for the person I love" sort of way.  Of course I'm a huge Harley Quinn (Who needs to kick Joker to the curb and just stick with Ivy) fan and have a thing for slightly twisted relationships in my fiction.
That said, I also really love normal, functional relationships in COMICS because they're so rare.  People are always getting kidnapped or murdered or whatever.  It's kind of nice to see out heroes get long term happiness with their partners.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

ketigid

Ronway wrote:
I think we may have to wait until tomorrow for the Baron Blade update with how late it is. I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait though.

They proved you wrong! Baron Blade is released.  ;D

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

ketigid wrote:

Ronway wrote:
I think we may have to wait until tomorrow for the Baron Blade update with how late it is. I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait though.

And, for a lot of us, it is now tomorrow.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

ketigid

TheJayMann wrote:

ketigid wrote:

Ronway wrote:

And, for a lot of us, it is now tomorrow.

And that too.  :D

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I wouldn't of been able to see it until today anyhow, since five minutes after posting that I went off to the wonderful world of working, woohoo!

Baron Blade does look super awesome in this and I am so stoked to take him on again. Probably will fight the original first then take on the newer one to add a story feel to it.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Yeah, Blade's promo sounds really cool. I guess it's assumed we'll fight him only in Megaopolis (when using promo rules), but that's fine. But now, it says he doesn't use any of his old defenses or minions, so how are we going to use his deck, which has lots of defenses and minions? Will they just not count?

You're free to do whatever you want to.

lugaru
lugaru's picture

Yup... in the meantime play vs Baron Blade with 3 heroes, we seriosly came seconds away from the moon being dragged into the earth, like the damage that flipped his card would have triggered 2 cards going into the trash, which would have triggered us losing... had he not flipped. Curious how he will work since the text claims "no minions or gadgets". New deck?

New Ra looks great... although did he lose a nipple in combat? I swear that is what the art looks like, LOL. I'm curious how he will be different, the current Ra is already a powerhouse. Maybe damage to EVERYTHING in play as a power?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

No, he will still have his same old deck. It says using them as a distraction. So he probably just won't have anything start out in play from the start, but they could still be drawn and cause some sort of chaos.

Edit: It works just like the promo cards for heroes, same everything besides character card.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

That's an interesting direction for the new Ra to take, which I like, but will it be fun to play a superpowered hobo?  Not sure.  I was hoping for a hawk-headed look more along these lines: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/071/5/2/Horus_by_Matt9.jpg.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

It would of been pretty sweet if it could of been a hawk-headed if it was a part Ra. But I dunno, this Ra is really awesome, ready to kick some of The Enead's butt. I wonder what the other heroes will say after they see Ra again? Because he sure didn't age well and any other hero will look exactly the same.

Tegulus

I wonder if the Baron Blade interacts with the environment deck somehow. Putting his cards under environment cards as a timer mechanic, perhaps? X cards under the environment and BOOM!…damage to all heroes. Maybe he even starts with several environment cards in play?
I'm hoping he works in a completely different way than anything we've seen so far.

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

It was nice of Blade to put those labels on the containers. Apparently whatever's inside is extremely toxic (deadly), such as a carcinogen, mutagen, or teratogen, has a respective flash point below 73 F, and is capable of detonation. And is also radioactive, though that's a non-standard symbol. I don't think there's such a chemical, though one could presumably mix Cyanogen (4,4,2,-) or Nickel Carbonyl (4,3,3,-) with an explosive, radioactive material of some sort.

And now I know more about the NFPA 704 Hazard Rating System than I ever wanted.

Grinnell College 2016

Tamar

SlenderTroll wrote:
It was nice of Blade to put those labels on the containers. Apparently whatever's inside is extremely toxic (deadly), such as a carcinogen, mutagen, or teratogen, has a respective flash point below 73 F, and is capable of detonation. And is also radioactive, though that's a non-standard symbol. I don't think there's such a chemical, though one could presumably mix Cyanogen (4,4,2,-) or Nickel Carbonyl (4,3,3,-) with an explosive, radioactive material of some sort.

God I love you nerds so much, you don't even know! <3

This really contributes nothing to the conversation, but it had to be said.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

logan_mann

And the Super Secret $50,000 bonus is...Unity!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Fun reveal with an interesting twist but mild disappointment as the only way to have her have a nemesis and not piss off people who can't get in on the kickstarter is to have the villain also be a promo. (or to sell the deck outside of kickstarter, which is what I would favour)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:
Mild disappointment as the only way to have her have a nemesis and not piss off people who can't get in on the kickstarter is to have the villain also be a promo. (or to sell the deck outside of kickstarter, which is what I would favour)

Based on how tech-based she is, though, it would be very likely that her Nemesis is Omnitron.  :-\

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

SlenderTroll wrote:

For the record, if I ever am faced with a bomb, I'm sending you a picture so I know what I'm up against. Which is more common than you'd think; some mornings I just wake up and there are barrels of explosive chemicals all over my room. I don't know why.

But hey! Check out this Unity girl! I was seriously not expecting an entirely new hero. Is she Omnitron's nemesis? I was expecting someone in a robot suit, but this makes sense too. I wonder what she'll play like. Maybe she can summon some mech golems to help her.

Wait, what's the problem with her being Omnitron's nemesis? That's not a bad thing.

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

evandan55 wrote:
Wait, what's the problem with her being Omnitron's nemesis? That's not a bad thing.

The main issue that was brought up is that this would mean that only people who chipped in the extra $5 would be able to access her and thus Omnitron's nemesis would be out of reach for most people.

Unless, of course, there's going to be a way to purchase her from the store after the Kickstarter is over.  :D

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

AnachronismAxe wrote:

evandan55 wrote:

The main issue that was brought up is that this would mean that only people who chipped in the extra $5 would be able to access her and thus Omnitron's nemesis would be out of reach for most people.

Unless, of course, there's going to be a way to purchase her from the store after the Kickstarter is over.  :D

Well I assume she will be. They wouldn't leave everyone hanging like that. If she's Omnitron's nemesis, they've definitely had plans to release her anyways.

lugaru
lugaru's picture

Yeah, I bumped up my pledge... I decided I do want the 2nd edition after all (enough significant changes) and that extra little bit might push into the "secret" territory.

logan_mann

Could it be possible that different versions of a villain have different nemesis?  Blade will always be against Legacy (the two of them) but what if basic omnitron has a nemesis but cosmic has another?  Haven't really thought this through...just throwing it out there.  Could Unity be the Nemesis of Cosmic Omintron specifically?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Two things: 

1) Unity will be available from our website after the Kickstarter is over (for as long as we still have her in stock).

2) She is not Omnitron's nemesis.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Damn it! More teasing (And thank you very much for confirming she will be available to non-pledgers)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

logan_mann

Christopher wrote:
Two things: 

1) Unity will be available from our website after the Kickstarter is over (for as long as we still have her in stock).

2) She is not Omnitron's nemesis.

Will she have a nemesis?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Of course!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

logan_mann

Christopher wrote:
Of course!

Oh good.  I wonder now if it will be part of a future expansion or if it too will be part of a stand alone deck like her.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I don't see why they wouldn't make Unity available for one-off purchase on their website if you didn't get her through the Kickstarter.  You can get replacement decks for all of the other heroes that way.

I think she'd make the perfect Omnitron nemesis.  Huge robot vs. nerdy girl?  Yes please, I'll have some of that.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:
I don't see why they wouldn't make Unity available for one-off purchase on their website if you didn't get her through the Kickstarter.  You can get replacement decks for all of the other heroes that way.

My understanding is that they'll be doing this on a "while supplies last" basis.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Oh, I just read on the kickstarter that someone said she was, and they said it as if it were totally true and not a guess. I gotta stop believing everything I read. So, if we're getting an extra hero, I'm assuming we'll eventually get another one so that by the 4th expansion, we'll have an equal number of heroes and villains? That's nice. Though now I'm sad there won't be any "final bosses".

Spiff
Spiff's picture

If all it takes to get a new hero is $5, I'll take ten more heroes, please.  Just show me which button I need to press to get them.

(I suppose the $50k kickstarter might have something to do with the math though...)

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

Tamar wrote:

Blossercubbles wrote:

RIGHT?!  He's hot in that "I'm crazy and would totally blow things up for the person I love" sort of way.  Of course I'm a huge Harley Quinn (Who needs to kick Joker to the curb and just stick with Ivy) fan and have a thing for slightly twisted relationships in my fiction.

I once again use my cleric-like powers to resurrect a topic passed, but I simply had to note that Harley Quinn has been one of my favourite characters in the world of comics ever since her birth into the Batman universe. I...I have the Barbie version of her.... She was the mascot for my Freshman year of college.

I regret nothing!

Side Note (Or, rather, relevant note): I did not expect, at all, that the SSAB would be an additional hero deck. Also, this expansion officially is collecting everything I would want in heroes. We have magic, unity (hehe) with nature and music, AND technological telepathy? Now to find out what Ra and Fanatic are up to with their new powers...hmm.

I fall up the stairs.

foxtrot2620
Playtester

Blossercubbles wrote:
Side Note (Or, rather, relevant note): I did not expect, at all, that the SSAB would be an additional hero deck. Also, this expansion officially is collecting everything I would want in heroes. We have magic, unity (hehe) with nature and music, AND technological telepathy? Now to find out what Ra and Fanatic are up to with their new powers...hmm.

HINT: Check the "Guesses and ideas for the 2nd Expansion" topic in the General Discussion forum

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

Funny story: I just did that, and I am in no way displeased! Woot!

I fall up the stairs.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Unity looks fantastic. can't believe they are going to be squeezing another five dollars out of me, but oh well it looks like it'll be worth it.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Sorry about the $5 thing.  We wanted to make it free to everyone, but printing a separate 41 card deck that's not packaged with the game costs us more than we anticipated.  Even with the $5, we're still taking a loss on Unity, which is fine.  We're just trying to not make it a major loss.

Thanks for the support!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I completely understand the decision. So if you're going to take a bit of a loss I bet that means she is going to have some awesome mechanic?

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Ronway wrote:
...she is going to have some awesome mechanic?

I see what you did there.  ;)

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

She's awesome and exciting. Maybe my favorite hero yet.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Oh boy, that has gotten me all sorts of excited. She needs to under go the playtesting process like the Infernal Relics characters, right? I know it may be asking a lot out of us for you to add in a extra hero, but I am sure we'll be able to find someway to put up with the pressure.

foxtrot2620
Playtester

Ronway wrote:
Oh boy, that has gotten me all sorts of excited. She needs to under go the playtesting process like the Infernal Relics characters right? I know it may be asking a lot out of us to add in a extra hero, but I am sure we'll be able to find someway to put up with the pressure.

You rock.

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

Will Unity's deck fit into the Enhanced Edition storage system?

Grinnell College 2016

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

SlenderTroll wrote:
Will Unity's deck fit into the Enhanced Edition storage system?

They said yes on the Kickstarter comments.  :)

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Whoa, making Unity will cause a loss? Yeah, hopefully it won't be too bad. You know what? I'm gonna donate enough to be a playtester, so at least I can help lessen the loss a bit more.

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

evandan55 wrote:
Whoa, making Unity will cause a loss? Yeah, hopefully it won't be too bad. You know what? I'm gonna donate enough to be a playtester, so at least I can help lessen the loss a bit more.

Presumably not a $30,000 loss, though, so they're still coming out ahead overall. :P

Grinnell College 2016

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Well, hey, we're at $50K! Hooray! We're gonna see some Unity among the heroes!

(Attempted pun)

Greonhal
Playtester

Christopher wrote:
Sorry about the $5 thing.  We wanted to make it free to everyone, but printing a separate 41 card deck that's not packaged with the game costs us more than we anticipated.  Even with the $5, we're still taking a loss on Unity, which is fine.  We're just trying to not make it a major loss.

Thanks for the support!

If one were interested in making their Unity deck not a loss, how much more would this hypothetical person need to add on?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Greonhal, that is a hypothetically super awesome question.  However, I wouldn't worry about it.  It's a cost that we had factored in when we originally planned on this stretch reward.  We'll only lose a buck or two per Unity deck, though the more people that buy them, the more that goes down. So, the biggest thing people can do to help is convince all their friends to back the Kickstarter and pick up the Unity deck!

Also, they should do that because she is totally awesome.  Seriously.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

drstein

Christopher wrote:

Maybe this is a silly question but...you say it is a loss when printing the cards separately. How about adding her to the infernal relics expansion? The production costs of doing so are probably much smaller...and we get to enjoy one more hero for free :D

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

That's not at all a silly question!  The issue there is three-fold:

First, we want to make her available to EVERYONE who might want her on the Kickstarter, and there are a group of people who are just pledging for the Enhanced Edition of Sentinels of the Multiverse that would not be able to get Unity as a result.  We considered adding her to just the Enhanced Edition of Sentinels (because that solves for issues #2 and #3), but that runs into the opposite problem of not making her available to people just pledging for Infernal Relics/the Upgrade Mode package.

Second, she doesn't really thematically fit with Infernal Relics, which may not be as huge of an issue to some, but that's a big driving factor for us. 

Lastly, and probably most importantly, it would actually create a TON more work for us to do so.  Here's why: anyone who has Rook City can tell you that, with the plastic insert in the box, there's not room for another 41 hero cards.  Were we to include another hero, we would have to make the Infernal Relics box bigger, which would mean a bigger insert, which, between all the changes that brings on, would cost significantly more than just doing a separate run of Unity. 

So, I hope that helps give you an idea of where we are and why we are doing it this way. Thanks for your question!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages