The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Hypothetical UK Game Day in October

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul
Paul's picture
Admin
Hypothetical UK Game Day in October

Hypothetically, were the three of us GTG folks (Christopher, Adam, and I) to run a GTG Game Day the weekend of 19-20 Oct, 2013 at Leisure Games in London, who would be interested and likely to attend?

This is all hypothetical for now, and is pending all sorts of logistics being worked out, but we are flying to Europe anyway for Essen the following week, and could in principle fly into London instead of Dusseldorf, and then catch a train or a connecting flight to Essen on Monday. Mike at Leisure Games is already open to the idea, but I'd like to get an idea of how many people are interested, etc. We'd do mostly what Christopher does on his trips to Indianapolis, etc: play games, chat about games, give out promo cards, etc.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

I would definitely be there. If you need a hand running stuff, or I can pick up my copy of Vengenacwe, I'll certainly be up for that, too.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Absolutely. And now we know the reasons behind that mysterious and enigmatic post from a few weeks back smiley

edit: oh yes, I will almost certainly +1 for this, and maybe one more.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

A perusal of the internet also seems to indicate that there are cheaply-priced hotels and pubs that serve real ale nearby - can anyone local confirm or deny these suspicions?

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Omg GTG in London!!! YAY yes we are both interested (my partner and I). And it's at a weekend, so work wouldn't be an issue (even if we've got new jobs by then and end up working weekends or something, we'll say in advance that we are busy on those days, lol). It's really far up in London (we will be approaching from the southeast corner, usually arriving in Victoria) but hey, that's what an all day Travelcard thingy is for - yay for the Tube ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I can offer you 3-5 attendees, and am hoping with every fibre of my being that I can be one of them.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Paul, I can confirm that warm, flat lager and flea ridden youth hostels are the very province of North London. But we do have a few classy joints too, it's a big city after all.

joe_lewis

Oh heeeeeeell yeah!

joe_lewis

Paul wrote:

pubs that serve real ale 

There speaks a man of taste and breeding.

It's near Victoria park isn't it!? Some nice spots around there...

JamminGamer
JamminGamer's picture

This would be awesome :D Also I would be one of the 3-5 that BlueHairedMeerkat mentioned XD

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I do not have time to go to this. I do not have time to go to this. I do not have time to go to this. I wonder what airfare to London would be.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Possibly. It'd take 3.5 hours-ish for me to get to Leisure Games, and knowing far enough in advance would mean I could get really cheap public transport...

And hey, I quite like London. ;)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Mezike wrote:

But we do have a few classy joints too, it's a big city after all.

joe_lewis wrote:

It's near Victoria park isn't it!? Some nice spots around there...

Awesome! Any suggestions? (either for lodging, or for the sorts of pubs CAMRA would approve of, or both :) )

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Paul wrote:

Awesome! Any suggestions? (either for lodging, or for the sorts of pubs CAMRA would approve of, or both :) )

... well, I've got nothing. The trouble with living here is I don't spend a lot of time in the local hotels :-) and in any case I'm right down south of the river. I can recommend some lovely places to stop for refreshmant around Surrey and Buckinghamshire though that's a bit of a trek from Finchley! Of course, there is always the traditional Tube map pub crawl if you are at a loss for something to do. Just not the night before you fly.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Bumping this as I have just finished reading through the 5000+(!) messages from when I was away from the forums for a few weeks and have only just read this thread, I too am an Englander and would be there with bells on, roll on October (and a firm Yes from the GTG crew!) 

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Just to point out, the later I book transport, the more money it will cost me. Just sayin'.... ;)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!