The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

How does your hero work?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
How does your hero work?

When I picked my username, I wanted to choose something for these fora that sounded like it could be a superhero name, and also sounded like it had something to do with my interests. But one thing that's been bumping around the back of my mind ever since then is this: how would "Trajector" work as a Sentinels of the Multiverse hero deck?

This is what I've decided...

Trajector is a star pilot. He's kind of squishy in terms of health, perhaps low 20s. He spends most of his time in his spaceship, which is his signature card:

Perinigricon (12 HP)

Spacecraft

Reduce damage to this card by 1.

When Trajector would be dealt damage, redirect it to this card.

At the end of your turn, this card deals one target 2 energy damage.

("Perinigricon" is a term for the closest point in an orbit to a black hole. It might be the coolest astronomy word ever.) Other than that, his key mechanism is playing Ongoing cards that only do something when destroyed. They would be fairly powerful, but Trajector himself would have no means to destroy Ongoings and would have to rely on other effects to do it for him. For example:

Attack Position

Ongoing, Course

When this card is destroyed, Trajector deals one target 2 projectile damage.

If the Perinigricon is in play, it deals a second target 4 energy damage.

Or, probably his most powerful card,

Collision Course

Ongoing, Course

When this card is destroyed, Trajector deals one target and himself 6 melee damage.

If the Perinigricon is in play, it deals one target and itself X irreducible melee damage, where X is the HP of the Perinigricon.

Trajector's base power would have something to do with searching his deck for, and playing, Courses. Clearly, it has to be named something like "Set Course" or "New Heading."

So...how about you all? How would your hero work?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I once created a hero for an RPG, based on myself and my "superpowers". Things like making toilets flush and detecting spiders at 30 paces. <.< I would be a dumb superhero.

(But that hasn't stopped me from considering how he would work for a Sentinels deck...)

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I'm a meerkat. I would not a superhero make.

But okay, let's jump down this rabit hole.

I don't have the build for a tank, and I'm a bit small to be a damage dealer, so I guess we have to look elsewhere. We famously make good sentries, so I guess I want to be able to keep watch:

Azure Sentry

Ongoing, Limited

At the start of your turn, you may discard a card to reveal and replace the top card of the villain deck. You may then destroy this card and skip your turn; if you do, villain cards cannot be played until the start of your next turn.

Hmm, having it wait for the right moment fits the 'watcher' theme rather well. Let's try some more of that:

Lead a Merry Chase

Ongoing, Distraction

When a non-hero target enters play, you may move this card next to it.

When a target next to this card would deal damage to a hero target, redirect it to Blue-Haired Meerkat and reduce it by 1.

Of course, what with being rather squishy I don't really want to be taking too much damage...

Dive!

Ongoing, Limited

Blue-Haired Meerkat is immune to damage. Increase damage dealt to targets next to Distractions by 1.

At the start of your turn, destroy this card and all Distractions.

So I can lead enemies into ambushes and then dive down a rabit hole, leaving my friends to mop up. Means I'm not distracting them any more, though, but oh well.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

I once created a hero for an RPG, based on myself and my "superpowers". Things like making toilets flush and detecting spiders at 30 paces. <.< I would be a dumb superhero.(But that hasn't stopped me from considering how he would work for a Sentinels deck...)

I feel your pain as I basically have Parse's data analysis skills but none of the respect she gets for having/using them, and Setback's power of having and causing bad luck without the "has good luck right when you most need it" bit to mitigate it. I would be the superhero nobody wants around because they think I'm a crazy weirdo idiot who makes everything go wrong.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

Hey, now! Stay outta my holes!

;-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

Hey, now! Stay outta my holes!

;-)

But ... ummm ... I'm not sure I'm old enough for this forum.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Love it, Meerkat!

TakeWalker wrote:

I once created a hero for an RPG, based on myself and my "superpowers". Things like making toilets flush and detecting spiders at 30 paces. <.< I would be a dumb superhero.(But that hasn't stopped me from considering how he would work for a Sentinels deck...)

Power: Flush

Destroy a card, then discard the bottom 5 cards of its associated deck.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I don't think I'd be a hero. Rather I fairly scary villain target, particularly in 5 hero games. Though a draw back would be very low HP, say about 6. Also wickedly awesome mutton chops, representing my former lack of ability to grow facial hair.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

Hmm superpowers. While my user name is not my superhero name I do have a favorite hero ability.
The power to move you, with my mind. I am talking about telekeniss. And passively pushes thing away so kinda like a force field. He would have a with wait a see personality, preferring to strike when the moment is right.

But there is two telepaths already, not sure what new things I can bring. Will may let Christopher create it.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Ehkrickor
Ehkrickor's picture

My Superhero alter ego would wind up having the same powers that make my every character overpowered in my buddy's World of Darkness games. Common Sense and an Encyclopedic knowledge of Trivia. Or just like, ALL the references

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I would see a "PlatinumWarlock" as something of a de-buffer and 'fixer', with minor damage dealing as occasional riders.

Likely base power:  Curse of Iron:  Deal 1 target 1 infernal damage.  That target deals -1 damage until the start of your next turn.

Cards might include something like:

--Shattered Shields:  One-Shot -- Destroy up to 3 Ongoing or Environment Cards.  You may deal 1 projectile and 1 infernal damage to X targets, where X = the number of Ongoing and Environment cards destroyed by this card.

--Metallic Tomb:  One-Shot -- Choose a non-character card target.  Take damage equal to that target's current hit points, then shuffle that target back into its appropriate deck.  

--Samite Deflection: Ongoing, Limited -- The first time you are dealt 3 or less damage each turn, you may redirect that damage to another target.  At the end of your turn, deal yourself 2 infernal damage; this infernal damage may not be redirected.  

--Adamantine Apocalypse:  Ongoing, Limited -- At the start of your turn, deal each non-Hero target 1 projectile and 1 infernal damage.  If this damage destroys a target, you may destroy an Ongoing or Environment card for each target destroyed.  At the end of your turn, deal yourself 4 infernal damage or destroy this card.  Power:  You do not have to deal yourself 4 infernal damage to keep this card in play at the end of your turn.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Phantom-eX(A character from my days playing Champions Online who I shared my net-name with) is a power armor character. I haven't thought about how I'd translate him into a SotM deck, but with some time I can figure something out...

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I would creat DejaFu, a martial artist with time control powers.  Loved the idea before Thief of Time ever came out, but that book is awesome, too!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I came up with a few ideas for Phantom-eX, but I'm affraid to put them up here since I want to avoid any similarity-shenanigans with any soon-to-be-released tech heroes.

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

Mine is still in the works. I cant describe him very well, so youll just have to wait.

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Okay, I'll share. 

The Rogue is no longer Imprisoned. cool I've had this deck... a couple of years, now. I know it was before we started playtesting OblivAeon, so... yeah, a while.

I created a portal-generating hero for my likeness (Imprisoned Rogue). (Don't know if anyone remembers that little post I did in character of how he/I got out of The Block, but that's the backstory.) He's primarily support (which is how I love to play) and I really enjoy playing the deck. 

He has ADHD (like me), so I wanted him to play that way. His ongoings that require some concentration also require he destroys one of his ongoings. They do things when they come into play, so you can actually destroy the ongoing you just played if you want -- basically turning it into a one-shot. Obviously, it's better if you keep it out, but it ensures the card is still useful if you don't have something else out to get rid of. 

He doesn't do damage -- I mean come on, he generates portals. wink He does, on the other hand, drop cars on people (which has the environment deal damage), use bait-n-switch portals to have a target deal another target damage based on a type on the source's card (or projectile, if there isn't one), and open portals to allow allies to target other people with their powers. He also can redirect damage by throwing a portal up in front of it, but that reduces the damage dealt and costs him to do it (to balance it -- turns out redirection is fairly powerful). 

He has a card that allows him to jump behind enemy lines to see what's going on. If things are going really badly, he has one card that allows him to take the entire fight somewhere else by generating one massive portal (getting rid of all environment cards and a couple villain cards -- and, if he excerts himself, swapping out the environment altogether). 

Also, he's a gambler and takes risks. Some of his cards have a type of "Gambit". He has a mechanic of gambling: He draws a card, and if that card is a Gambit, he gets one effect (that is better), but if not he might get a second (lesser) effect, but sometimes he gets nothing (other than the orignal card he drew for the gamble). 

His base power is Intercepting Portal -- Power: Select a target, Reduce the next damage dealt to that target by 1. Move an ongoing card from your trash to your hand.

His alternate is when things have gone bad. I didn't have anything specific in mind when I originally created it, but now I figure it has to be during the OblivAeon fight! His alternate's base power is Desperate Measures -- Power: (Gamble) Draw a card. If it's a Gambit, you may play a card or use a power. If not, draw a card.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Have you posted the deck anywhere Rabit?  I'd love to see it.  I remember the escape story, wasn't that in the ask a question thread?

As for me,

Phantaskippy is the ghost of a house cat that can open doors and cupboards at will and has an innate ability to find anything fish related by rumaging through everything until it is found.  He has the universal feline ability to disappear by putting his head inside a brown paper bag and is a very good ghost kitty, beyond the aforementioned fish thing.

His nemesis is shark.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I love it, Rabit - we haven't seen a portal-power deck yet! That would be really cool. I imagine all sorts of weirdness cutting into other decks.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Arcanist Lupus is... a magical wolf.  So, spell casting, enchanting, plus - wolf.

I have a few ideas about how I'd design a deck for him (me?), but my impression was that we aren't supposed to post design ideas on the official forums.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy wrote:

Have you posted the deck anywhere Rabit?  I'd love to see it.  

I haven't -- it was honestly more of a personal project than anything else. blush 

But I could definitely use the feedback, so I just posted it on BGG

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

I have a few ideas about how I'd design a deck for him (me?), but my impression was that we aren't supposed to post design ideas on the official forums.

That has been true. However, we checked (in the Mod forum) with The Powers That Be, and they were okay with this, since there's no more SotM coming out anytime soon. 

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Oh, okay!

Well in that case, Arcanist Lupus would have a several Ongoings with the subtype 'Path'.  They'd have various mystical names like "East of Sun, West of Moon" or "Second Star to the Right, and Straight On 'till Morning" (only probably shorter, and not already taken).  They'd have various effects a la Modes, Styles, and Forms, but also they'd modify when your One-shots could be played.  While a Path is out you won't be able to play One-shots during your play phase, but there will be various other conditions for when you can play them (Start of the Villain turn, whenever the villain deals damage, whenever an environment card is destroyed, stuff like that).  The One-shots would be mostly Spells, with some bitey effects thrown in.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

So, Rabit's power is basically a built-in portal gun (look up the Portal games by Valve if you don't know what that is). Cool :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ameena wrote:

So, Rabit's power is basically a built-in portal gun (look up the Portal games by Valve if you don't know what that is). Cool :D.

Yep! laugh

(In the Imprisoned Rogue card art, you can see the portal he's stepping through behind him.)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Rabit wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

That has been true. However, we checked (in the Mod forum) with The Powers That Be, and they were okay with this, since there's no more SotM coming out anytime soon. 

Oh, whoops. I figured I was far enough on the correct side of the silly/unrealistic/non-canon line to be okay; didn't realize if I skirted too close to it!

(Plus, I thought, there's a whole "game engine" forum now...)

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

I haven't made any decks in a while. I still have the FOTM program. If I wanted to start building new decks for my own amusement, are there any other programs I should use?

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Lord Flash Fire

I never learned to use the Fotm, but I probably would only be good at the mechanics, and not Art and Stufftm

-Someone special, 2012

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

For a birthday that feels like it was forever ago a friend of mine made me a hero deck of "me".

Based on my huge love of Transformers, and my tendency to change my appearance/hair a lot, it is imaginatively named The Transformer and is based around shapechanging into different forms (goth, squirrel, cake, nekkid, Mr Bump, Care Bear and pikmin) as ongoings with some one shots which have extra effects if the relevant form is out for them.
There are also some equipment cards which are drinks, the more I drunk the more oblivious to damage I became but had to discard cards once too drunk - I'm saying nothing about why my friend decided to add that in.

It's a fun idea, but you could tell he doesn't really play the game himself and so it's not the most effective.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Ihave a couple ideas about how X-metal would work as a her deck. I figure his deck would be based off of how he is rather inexperienced with his suit so the good effects would be mixed with effects that have him missing horribly and a lot of probability would be involved.

His name is Sephiroth but his friends call him Sephie.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Based on some things I saw last April, I think your idea sounds a great deal like Benchmark. That kind of lines up with what was revealed in the RevoCorp episode, too.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I didn't base this character off of benchmark. I'm telling the truth here.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

X-metal wrote:

I didn't base this character off of benchmark. I'm telling the truth here.

I didn't say that you were, especially in the context of how long you said you've been working on this character on-and-off vs how long we've really known anything about Benchmark. I'm simply observing that I see conceptual overlap between them.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I actually had an idea about a character who's cards are more based around they're secret identity because they have trouble activating they're powers so they're cards have two effects depending on wether or not you managed to finagle his powered form card out but that wouldn't work for X-metal.

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Liar, Liar would probably end up kind of similar to Visionary - an illusionist with a focus on redirects and damage mitigation, and probably less direct damage than Argent.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

X-metal wrote:

I actually had an idea about a character who's cards are more based around they're secret identity because they have trouble activating they're powers so they're cards have two effects depending on wether or not you managed to finagle his powered form card out but that wouldn't work for X-metal.

That is an AWESOME idea, though!
Lord Flash Fire

Oh yeah, not done yet, and there's some cleaning up to do, along with it being a not-so-great character design, but here's this.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vdXH9hc8dCYALuEKx0T1YMgbH9A5VrBQ46FSsZR7OFg/edit?usp=sharing

-Someone special, 2012

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

You should come over to the SotM forums on BGG (if you aren't already), theres a really good variants community there.