The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Happy Valentine's Day

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester
Happy Valentine's Day

To all you out there, no matter if you're single or married, have a good one.

And remember to eat chocolate. Get on that.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

And rock a Tux, it's valentines day for goodness sake.

But seriously, we all love you, whoever you are that is currently reading this.

And remember the real St. Valentine and why we commemorate him.

Because he helped poor horny Christians get married when Rome had made it illegal to do so.  It's funny that Catholics and other conservative Christians are celebrating a man who defied the law to marry people simply because they loved each other.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

It's funny that Catholics and other conservative Christians are celebrating a man who defied the law to marry people simply because they loved each other.

History has a selective memory

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

And rock a Tux, it's valentines day for goodness sake.

No need to qualify that statement. wink

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I figure that if there is a day to celebrate being with someone you care about, it should be a day special to the two of you, not some arbitrarily-decided day on which all the shops pump out pink-and-red overpriced tat and cry out that you must spend loads and loads of money on it and give it to your "special someone" to prove you're a decent person. Or something. I seem to be aromantic so the whole thing doesn't bother me anyway, but if there was a day that I would want to celebrate being with my partner, it would be the day we both agreed we were now "together"/"a couple" :). I think people who care about each other should be nice to each other anyway, so they don't need a special day for it - anyway, aren't surprise-nice-things better than expected-because-it's-this-day-today nice things? :D

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Ameena wrote:

I figure that if there is a day to celebrate being with someone you care about, it should be a day special to the two of you, not some arbitrarily-decided day on which all the shops pump out pink-and-red overpriced tat and cry out that you must spend loads and loads of money on it and give it to your "special someone" to prove you're a decent person. Or something. I seem to be aromantic so the whole thing doesn't bother me anyway, but if there was a day that I would want to celebrate being with my partner, it would be the day we both agreed we were now "together"/"a couple" :). I think people who care about each other should be nice to each other anyway, so they don't need a special day for it - anyway, aren't surprise-nice-things better than expected-because-it's-this-day-today nice things? :D

Holidays are socially important, they bind us into communities and give us an important sense of oneness with the rest of our species.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Valentine's Day isn't really a holiday, though, is it? It's just a day on which all the shops sell really expensive crappy cards and teddy bears with pink hearts all over them. It's not like we get a day off work - then it would be a holiday ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Not if you celebrate it the right way--sure, a lot of people decide that buying all that stuff is necessary (when it's not), but I like to think of Valentine's day as a way to do something special with your SO, regardless of anything else that might be happening. Don't buy into the "You MUST buy flowers"--just do something you both love doing. Cherish each other.

And if you're single, well, take the night to be social. Bars, clubs, etc. wink

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

EvanDan55 wrote:

Not if you celebrate it the right way--sure, a lot of people decide that buying all that stuff is necessary (when it's not), but I like to think of Valentine's day as a way to do something special with your SO, regardless of anything else that might be happening. Don't buy into the "You MUST buy flowers"--just do something you both love doing. Cherish each other.And if you're single, well, take the night to be social. Bars, clubs, etc. wink

Agreed. My boyfriend and I celebrated in a very non-money-spending way.

We watched Venture Bros. on the couch. Dirty minds...

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

imprimis5 wrote:

We watched Venture Bros. on the couch. Dirty minds...

I know what couple I wanna go on a double-date with next time I'm at a Gathering of Heroes!

Happy Valentine's Day, folks.  Well, Happy Valentine's Day 35 minutes ago!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.