The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Golems and Out-if-Turn Play

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
chainsawrabbit
chainsawrabbit's picture
Golems and Out-if-Turn Play

My wife and I finally got a chance to play with the new Sentinels of the Mutliverse goodness last night, and chose to do two-heroes-each, using Unity, NightMist, the Argent Adept, and Young Legacy against Ambuscade.  Things went pretty smooth, with Unity's Mechanical Golems really pulling their weight considering the complexity of getting them into play (compared to other cards, at least).

However, we came across an interesting situation regarding one of Argent Adept's cards and Unity's Golems.  The Argent Adept had Alacritous Subdominant in play, and was using it almost every turn.  Now, Unity's Mechanical Golem cards all say "This card cannot be played during your Play phase."

My question is this: Since Alacritous Subdominant allows a card to be played out of turn, does it ignore the "cannot be played during your Play phase" restriction on Unity's Mechanical Golems?  Or does out-of-turn card playing count as a separate Play phase for rules purposes?   (There are a bunch of heroes' Incapacitated abilities that would apply here, too.)  We played it as though it wasn't that hero's play phase, so it got around the restriction on Unity's Golems, but I would like a second opinion on the matter.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

-CSR

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You pretty much answered it yourself. smiley

The bots say "This card cannot be played during your Play phase." AA (and other things) let Unity play a card when it isn't her Play phase, therefore she can play a bot.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

So are you two the same person, only Rabit is what's left after the chainsaw has done its job?

And to add I agree with Rabit and Chainsawrabbit's interpretation, if the Golems were meant to be restricted to only entering via Unity's powers  they could easily have been worded "Can only enter play via Bot-Hack" or "... via other Unity cards". (my copies are still winging their way over the Atlantic so I don't know the full deck yet).

Hmmm, I guess the Atlantean Font of Power can also play Golems.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

It says that it cannot be played during her play phase.  If it's not her turn, it's not her play phase.  Also, The Argent Adept would be allowing her to play a card during his power phase (most likely), so, not only is it not her play phase, it's not even a play phase at all. (Note, if it were someone else's play phase which allowed her to play a card, it's still not her play phase.)

This question has been answered exactly like this so many times, it really needs to be added to the FAQ section.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

It's in my clarifications PDF, but I agree that it's a good thing to add to the FAQ on the site.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

So are you two the same person, only Rabit is what's left after the chainsaw has done its job? 

Nah, distant cousins - we really don't know each other. wink (I believe he's wielding a chainsaw, whereas I'm wielding the missing 'b'... cool)

Matchstickman wrote:

Hmmm, I guess the Atlantean Font of Power can also play Golems.

Yep!!! Moments like those (or an incapacitated Set) are very fun! laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Vyolynce
Vyolynce's picture

TheJayMann wrote:
Also, The Argent Adept would be allowing her to play a card during his power phase (most likely), so, not only is it not her play phase, it's not even a play phase at all.

He does have that one-shot that allows him to activate a Perform text, so it is possible.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Vyolynce wrote:

TheJayMann wrote:
Also, The Argent Adept would be allowing her to play a card during his power phase (most likely), so, not only is it not her play phase, it's not even a play phase at all.

He does have that one-shot that allows him to activate a Perform text, so it is possible.

Thus, the "(most likely)" modifier.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!