The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

GenCon

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hank34
GenCon

Hello all... I really can't wait to add this game to my collection, but with the 2nd edition of the core game coming out, I cannot justify purchasing the 1st edition.  I am considering attending GenCon, soley for the chance to buy the 2nd edition (and any expansions that I can get my hands on).  To the point, if I plan on attending Saturday at GenCon, what are my chances of buying a copy of the 2nd edition core game? 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You will definitely be able to get a copy of the Enhanced (AKA 2nd) Edition, that won't be a problem. You also won't have a problem getting Infernal Relics, as that will have just showed up at GenCon, also.

I honestly can't imagine they won't have any Rook City left for Saturday. While it would be awesome if it sold out (because that would mean good things for Greater Than Games and the future of Sentinels of the Multiverse! :D), the likelihood is pretty close to 0.  8)

And... If you get them all at GenCon, you might even be able to get the promo cards that go with them...  :o

Rabit

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Hank34

Got my Gen Con tickets for Saturday!  Since I am coming to GenCon specifically for this game, save me a 2nd edition copy!  Hide it under the table or something!  Heck I will prolly get all the expansions there as well.  Anyway, excited to finally get my hands on this game and for my first Con ever, Gen, Comic, or anything. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hank34 wrote:
Got my Gen Con tickets for Saturday!  Since I am coming to GenCon specifically for this game, save me a 2nd edition copy!  Hide it under the table or something!  Heck I will prolly get all the expansions there as well.  Anyway, excited to finally get my hands on this game and for my first Con ever, Gen, Comic, or anything.

Have you been to GenCon before? In case you're not familiar, please be advised that there is _MUCH_ to do at GenCon.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

If I'm not mistaken, there are 8736 different things to do at GenCon.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Hank34

arenson9 wrote:

Hank34 wrote:

Have you been to GenCon before? In case you're not familiar, please be advised that there is _MUCH_ to do at GenCon.

Nope.  Like I said, this will be my first "Con" ever.  Pretty pumped.  I have a feeling it might be sensory overload at first, but I will adapt. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hank34 wrote:

Nope.  Like I said, this will be my first "Con" ever.  Pretty pumped.  I have a feeling it might be sensory overload at first, but I will adapt.

Things to maybe check out:

True Dungeon (expensive, but unique)

Costume Parade

If you like as much or more roleplaying as hack and slash in your DnD, check out NASCRAG (http://nascrag.org/)

Looking for deals? Check out the auction.

Like boardgames? Check out the boardroom area and keep your eyes open for designers demoing their games. First, though, go through the dealer room and for games you really like, ask if the designers are playing the game at the booth or elsewhere.

Of course there are games of every type and description. It can be overwhelming. Consider getting some generic tickets and going and sitting in
on open spots.

Try to walk through all of the major halls and areas just to get a sense of what it's like. I'd never seen a CCG tournament before. I'd never seen the battlefields that the tabletop minis folks set up before. I'd never heard of paint and take -- where you paint a miniature and get to keep it.

If your ticket isn't being mailed to you, pick it up at will call on Wed if you can. There's a decent chance that the line will be shorter a few hours after
Will call opens then right at the start.

Pack your own food. AND leave time to eat in-between games. Bring water. Bring a backpack.

Puzzle hunt! There's usually a meta-puzzle that involves solving like 30 other puzzles spread around the con. You could spend your whole con doing this, but you can also have fun doing just one of them -- particularly if you do it with a group.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Never heard of a puzzle hunt before.  Of course, this will be my second GenCon, so yeah.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Hank34

Well they were "definitely" sold out when I arrived at GenCon on Saturday. The guy I spoke with said they sold out of the Enhanced Edition and Infernal Relics on Friday. I was able to purchase everything, but the base game and infernal relics won't be shipped for three weeks! Arg! I've been waiting so long.  I came to GenCon specifically for this!  Nooooooooo. 

But about me buying everything, I paid cash for everything and I forgot to ask for a receipt. They had me sign the shipping sheet, but I'm kinda worried about it. Should something happen to the sheet, I might be screwed. Do the powers that be not want me to have this game!?  Can't a guy catch a break?  Hopefully they keep the list under lock and key and armed guard at night. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, needless to say I was greatly disappointed. I heard the same old jazz, "we were shocked how fast they went." But I personally think publishers should err on the side of brining too much product to trade shows like this, especially GenCon, which is supposed to be the biggest one there is (stateside of course.) 

Well after waiting for this game for a while now, I now must wait some more. But I've waited this long.  What's three more weeks!  

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, that's a bit unfair. They were GOING to have a whole bunch of them, but because of the typhoons the boat with all of the games was still in Asia. They paid a bunch of money extra to be able to have ANY at GenCon. So really, getting mad at THEM because the EXTRA they did wasn't enough for YOU specifically is kind of self-entitled. They are good people, and they went out of their way to please us, the fan base. They were just as mad about the delay as we were, if not more, since it makes them look bad.

So please, have a bit more respect for them. They won't lose your order, and if they DO, they are very helpful and understanding.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Hank34

I'm not being disrespectful... Just voicing my disappointment. I thought these would be the people who cared the most.  They obviously have a great product that everyone loves, I just want in darn it.  

And the no receipt thing has me a bit worried is all.  In hind sight I wish I paid via credit. 

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Hanks' being respectful.  He's just disappointed, which is understandable.  There's a guy on BGG who's complaining that he made arrangements to pick up his Kickstarter stuff at GenCon but it got sold rather than set aside for him, which is a shame.  I'm sure the SotM guys are doing the best they can in a crazy situation (wicked demand and not enough boxes to sell because the shipment didn't go out as promised) and they're distressed about every disappointed customer.  Still, that sucks, Hank.  A game in the hand is worth two in the mail, eh? :)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, you said that they should have brought more, implying that they just didn't feel like it or something.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Hank34

Question, is there a way I can play with Rook City, Unity and Ambuscade?  Because that would make the wait much less painful. 

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, Rook City has been out for a while. You may check your local game store.

Unity and Ambuscade are all on a boat right now though, so you'll have to wait on that one.

-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Wow, I just realized how often I start my comments with "Well,"

I don't mean to do that. I just type the way I talk.

-- Trajector

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

You could still play with 3 heroes if you only have rook city and the 2 promo decks. There are also some custom ones on BoardGameGeek if you want more variety untill you get the others, if you're able to print them out.

EDIT: Both of my Heroes are pretty much finished now if you want to try them out, I also go by Koga on BGG. There may still be some small changes but I provide update files to print those off so you don't have to print the whole thing again. Still working on getting pics made for my 2nd one, just gotta level him up and get the powers so I can take the screenshots.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Oh, you HAVE Rook City, Unity, and Ambuscade? >reading comprehension FTW

In that case, yeah! Go for it! Not sure how well Unity, Fixer, and ExPat will do against the Matriarch or the Chairman, but there is nothing stopping you from playing with the sets you have now. All you need is 3 heroes, 1 villain, and an environment, and you have all that.

-- Trajector

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hank34 wrote:

Anyway, needless to say I was greatly disappointed. I heard the same old jazz, "we were shocked how fast they went." But I personally think publishers should err on the side of brining too much product to trade shows like this, especially GenCon, which is supposed to be the biggest one there is (stateside of course.)

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your dissappointment. As mentioned, Christopher, Paul, and Adam were foiled by typhoons in their attempt to bring more product and did what they could by paying a fair bit extra to get at least some of the games air-mailed from China.

This is a game that has had a release, an expansion, a re-release, and a second expansion all in its first year. They have been creating and publishing at a break-neck speed.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Well, for those of you who were there, I can speak for everyone when I say GenCon was a huge success. I haven't had that much fun in a while. It was really great seeing everyone again, and Dakota and I had a lovely time playing and demoing games. And apparently, she'll be joining us here on the forums soon. I've gotten her majorly hooked on the Multiverse. But really, I gotta thank the entire >G team for everything they did for us, and a very personal thanks from me and Dakota. I know next year will be even better.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Simsar
Simsar's picture

@Everyone,

I wasn't there all the time (RPGs to play, stuff to buy and computers to build) but I had a hell of a time. I got to demo a lot of the new villains, beat my nemesis (Voss) and had a heck of a time. I'd like to thank Evandan for letting me and my friend get in on the game mid fight between us and Plague Rat when Dakota had to leave. Everything was pretty sweet when I got Unity rolling in high fashion and had enough DPS to chew through (Litterally) everything that got in the way and then some. Cheers to all and hopefully I'll be getting the upgrade for the original bos here within the next week so i can store all my SoTM in one box and be able to get more people to play.

One thing I'm just going to throw out there is that I want to play with people but distance (I live in Kansas) and time (I work a lot) seem to hold me back from getting any games in with people I know around here (most of which expressed amazingly negative interest in playing SoTM.) So if anyone wants to play over skype sometime, just PM and I'll give you my skype name. I have a webcam, mic and such so a laptop would make it like I was already there and such.

- Sim (The guy wearing the Chicago White Sox hat)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I live in Kansas too. Whereabouts are you?

Anyway, my skype name (not that I use it much) is connoisseurGrammatical. Add me if you want, I suppose.

-- Trajector

Hank34

Any news on when the GenCon sales have shipped?  Good news hopefully?  (fingers crossed)

kz3rt

The cargo container just got through customs- at the very least, kickstarter orders should ship in a week. No idea about gencon, but I'd assume the same.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The updates are being posted on Kickstarter. (I'm assuming non-backers can see them.) They'll probably ship the Kickstarters first, and that won't start sooner than a week from now and will take some time to get through.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Hank34

Thanks for the update link.  It seems to me that they will only be concentrating on getting the kickstarter backer stuff out.  Are GenCon purchases also included in this? 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hank34 wrote:

Thanks for the update link.  It seems to me that they will only be concentrating on getting the kickstarter backer stuff out.  Are GenCon purchases also included in this? 

I have no definite knowledge!  ... but won't let that stop me from hazarding a guess: GenCon purchases will either be filled at the same time as KS stuff, or immediately thereafter.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

As soon as Kickstarter orders are shipped, we will pack and ship pre-orders from Origins, Gen Con, and our website. We are not sure exactly how long this will all take, but everything should be shipped out by the end of next week.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Hank34

Soooooo, me personally ordering this from you guys at GenCon was about as useful as ordering it off your online store?  That stinks. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hank34 wrote:

Soooooo, me personally ordering this from you guys at GenCon was about as useful as ordering it off your online store?  That stinks. 

Did >G charge shipping for orders made at GenCon?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Nope.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Hank34 wrote:

I ordered off the website before GenCon, why would your order be more important than mine? Why is shipping in the order they were received not enough?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

Hank34 wrote:

I ordered off the website before GenCon, why would your order be more important than mine? Why is shipping in the order they were received not enough?

Damn, I forgot we can't edit still.

I'm not getting at you specifically, I just don't understand why supporting >Games (and indeed any games company) is not enough, you will get your order, not as fast as aone of the big game companies but with more 'customer service' than I expect from a company like that (certain companies excepted).

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I understand why he'd be irritated.  He handed his money to an actual human in exchange for a promise that he'd receive his merchandise as soon as possible.  I can see how that would feel like it had priority over orders placed by any mook with an internet connection who hadn't actually made the trip to the con, met the game designers and made a face-to-face connection.  However, receiving shipping for free does seem like a fair trade-off for not jumping to the front of the queue, and I hope Hank's not too disappointed overall.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:

However, receiving shipping for free does seem like a fair trade-off for not jumping to the front of the queue, and I hope Hank's not too disappointed overall.

This -- the Origins and GenCon pre-orders were designed to give people who couldn't buy the game in person due to it being sold out the next best thing -- you'll get the game as soon as it's available and you won't have to pay shipping.

Hank34

@ Matchstickman

In one word: yes.  My personally attending GenCon should give my order precedence over your internet order.  I went to the trouble of getting tickets to GenCon, driving to Indy, staying in a hotel, fighting crowds, etc.  You turned on your computer.  IMO, both Con's, Orign and GenCon, should be given packing priority over internet orders. 

I guess my bonus is that I do not have to pay shipping, which is appreciated.  The thing that bothers me is that I was told my games would be shipping in three weeks from GenCon.  We are now on week 5.  Not that big a deal, as I've waited this long, just getting annoyed at the whole process. 

Anyway, until then, I am patiently awaiting for my games to arrive.  Here's hoping that they ship this week! 

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Hank34

The information we gave you at Gen Con was as accurate as we could make it at the time. Unfortunately, the delivery of the games was further delayed by an unanticipated customs inspection in California. Your game (and all of the convention preorders) are being shipped out as soon as physically possible.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Hank34 wrote:

@ MatchstickmanIn one word: yes.  My personally attending GenCon should give my order precedence over your internet order.  I went to the trouble of getting tickets to GenCon, driving to Indy, staying in a hotel, fighting crowds, etc.  You turned on your computer.  IMO, both Con's, Orign and GenCon, should be given packing priority over internet orders. I guess my bonus is that I do not have to pay shipping, which is appreciated.  The thing that bothers me is that I was told my games would be shipping in three weeks from GenCon.  We are now on week 5.  Not that big a deal, as I've waited this long, just getting annoyed at the whole process. Anyway, until then, I am patiently awaiting for my games to arrive.  Here's hoping that they ship this week! 

This made me chuckle more after every sentence I read. Are you saying you got tickets to GenCon, drove to Indy, stayed at a hotel, fought crowds, etc. just so you could order Sentinels of the Multiverse? Maybe it was part of the reason, but from what I hear the con is a huge place and i'm sure you went and did far more stuff than just order SotM. You met the creators as well, which is a very big bonus as well, so far I have met one of three of them and am still looking foward to meeting the rest of them whenever I am able. Now think of kickstarter backers, we backed via the internet, so does that also include that your order takes presidence over our orders aswell. Not too mention they were promised to recieve it prior to GenCon, meaning that it is in about seven weeks behind on that, which is one thousand plus people waiting on it.

Finally, Sentinels of the Multiverse is a cooperative game, which promotes team work. And to make a good team there shouldn't be agrueing or telling others that you are better than them. Instead of being angry at others for ordering before you, be angry at the villianous hurricanes that delayed the shipping of the games from China. For if it weren't for them just about everyone would have the game by now.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hank34, I can't speak for everyone else, but I definitely feel for you and understand what you're saying.  The Greater Than Games folks are even more frustrated than we are by the storms, customs, and other things they have no control over that are holding them up from delivering the game, as we just want to have fun - it's their company on the line.

Personally, I greatly appreciate your patience, as we want to keep the site a positive community that promotes working together for the greater good. Greater Than Games is a (VERY) small organization that is busting their «insert missing "censored" emoticon here»s to get us the games we love - I'm hoping our patience now will help ensure their success in the future, allowing for a long and enjoyable life for Sentinels of the Multiverse! cool

(Ronway, sir, if there was an emoticon sufficient to display my appreciation and enjoyment of that post, I would certainly use it, but alas there is not. wink)

Hank34

@ Ronway

I went to GenCon specifically for the chance to get the Enhanced Edition.  It is the only reason I went to GenCon.  I am not really big on playing games with strangers, or large sweaty crowds for that matter.  It was also my first Con experience ever.

I have been wanting Sentinels of the Multiverse for a long time now, and every time I go into my FLGS, the 1st edition sits there, mocking me.  I have held off longer than I can remember buying the 1st edition, soley because I knew the Enhanced Edition would be coming out. 

No one said anything about kickstarters.  As they FUNDED the new expansion, they are entitled to have their games first.  As for the common slob that sits in his bathrobe ordering games from the online store, yes I feel that my order should have precedence over theirs.  If I had known that my order would be lumped in with the regular internet folk, I would have never made the trip out to Indy in the first place. 

I also didn't claim to be "better" than anyone so don't know where that came from.  Great advice though that I should be directing my anger at the wind instead of the company from which I bought the product. 

The good news is that my "anger", if you can call it that, will be fixed when I get my games.  I'm hoping that it will arrive next week (week 6).  Can you really blame me for wanting to play this awesome game? 

Hank34

@ Rabit

Thanks for the reply.  I am obviously a supporter of Greater than Games, and I, along with the gaming community, love their product.  I just want to play the darn game.  I haven't had the pleasure of playing the game at all, and am getting toward the end of my Sentinels of the Multiverse rope.  I tried playing with the Rook City expansion, along with Unity, but I couldn't get the hang or feel for it.  I think having the core game is whats keeping me from really getting into it, which is where my frustration lies.  Anyway, thanks for understanding.  Fingers crossed my games will go out next week (as I have lost hope for this week.) 

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Hank34

For what it is worth, it is reasonably likely that your order will go out this week still. The only games ahead of you in the queue are the International Kickstarter backers.