The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Gen Con and PAX Prime Volunteers Wanted. Inquire Within.

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craig
Craig's picture
Admin
Gen Con and PAX Prime Volunteers Wanted. Inquire Within.

It's that time of year again! We're looking for volunteers at Gen Con in Indianapolis and PAX Prime in Seattle. All we ask is for some of your time and your absolute devotion in return for a badge and time with the greatest booth at the show.

If you would like to sign up or if you have any questions, send me an email! I'm craig@greaterthangames.com.

2015 is going to be a great year for conventions. Don't miss a chance to see it up close.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

natyamaguchi

Just confirming. Is a badge the only compensation volunteers are receiving? I would love to help out, but as a California resident, I need to make sure this is economically viable. I ask because other companies I've volunteered for at shows have provided more.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

natyamaguchi wrote:

Just confirming. Is a badge the only compensation volunteers are receiving? I would love to help out, but as a California resident, I need to make sure this is economically viable. I ask because other companies I've volunteered for at shows have provided more.

An exhibitor badge and a big dinner for the night before the convention, and we only ask for your help for a fraction of the time that things are going on. If we weren't a small company, we might be able to do more. But that's why we call it volunteering. I promise you a good time, if nothing else. One of our volunteers are PAX East went on record saying we were the best company she'd ever worked with at the many conventions she's done.

itsshortstuff
Playtester

Last year my boyfriend and I volunteered. They gave us the exhibitor pass which also included a lunch meal ticket in the convention (helped us save a lot of money). We are also from CA. And they also had a snazzy dinner the night before pax. Loved every moment!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

And shirt!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

itsshortstuff
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

And shirt!

Also this! :D and we got some pins too hehe!

daarchon

Me and My Fiance are huge fans of Sentinels and would love to run the booth for you at PAX Prime. She is also offering to make the cosplay outfits for it as well. I am curious, would we get a copy of the promo cards as well?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

daarchon wrote:

Me and My Fiance are huge fans of Sentinels and would love to run the booth for you at PAX Prime. She is also offering to make the cosplay outfits for it as well. I am curious, would we get a copy of the promo cards as well?

Historically, that hasn't really been one of the perks. But they are easily accessible at the booth. If you'd like to volunteer, shoot me an email!

cmschex
Playtester

And cool Sentinels lanyard! (the Nightmist/Gloomy one is awesome)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

itsshortstuff wrote:

They gave us the exhibitor pass which also included a lunch meal ticket in the convention (helped us save a lot of money).

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED ABOUT THIS

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Foote wrote:
itsshortstuff wrote:
They gave us the exhibitor pass which also included a lunch meal ticket in the convention (helped us save a lot of money).

Hey, man. First I'm hearing about it, too.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Craig wrote:
Foote wrote:
itsshortstuff wrote:

Hey, man. First I'm hearing about it, too.

Seriously, me too... frown

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

itsshortstuff
Playtester

Lol, well Russ told us. Flash your exhibitor badge and you can pick up a sandwich salad whatever thing. :D the first day we actually received a meal ticket tho.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Sometimes the exhibitor lounge has food at lunch. It's not always the case, and the lineup can be long.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Deimir

There's an exhibitor lounge?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Deimir

At PAX there is! It is sometimes sponsored and full of awesome things like food and beverages, and other times it is an empty room devoid of people.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

itsshortstuff wrote:

Lol, well Russ told us. Flash your exhibitor badge and you can pick up a sandwich salad whatever thing. :D the first day we actually received a meal ticket tho.

Ha! Yeah, that's the exhibitor lounge. Totally forgot about that...

Taba
Taba's picture

I'm planning on being at GenCon, so count me in Krreeeeeeg.

"Hat guy that isn't Craig" - Another Minion
Booth Minion

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Is anyone interested in sharing rooms? I know the hotel situation at GenCon is pretty crazy. I can bring a car, and so drive in from a hotel (assuming that all the close ones will be full up).

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I can go to gencon if I have a roommate, so I'd be up for it.

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

I'm also looking for someone with hotel space.  

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

That would be 3 of us.

aeinhorn

Dunno if I'm going to be able to volunteer at the booth or not, but I am running two sessions of Mutants & Masterminds featuring the characters from Sentinels of the Multiverse - and if all goes to plan, I'll be running the games while dressed as Legacy.

grogbearer

So, I've been a lurker on this board for quite some time and this seems like a great time to say hi! I'm excited to meet you all at GenCon my gaming group has been rotating Sentinels in regularly for quite a while now and I'm in love with it to the point my wife is tired of hearing about itcrying. I missed the post for volunteering last year but I love meeting people and probably will talk to much, so I appologize in advance.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hi! Welcome, and post more!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Glad to have you, grogbearer! Especially if you live up to your name...

Just for clarity: I'm totally kidding. Gen Con won't allow us to have alcohol.

That they know about.

(Still kidding.)

grogbearer

Well not during a shift but I'll gladly go for a drink with you afterward. You will probably have to invite my wife to though.

Luckily she's awesome so that won't be too bad for you. She's volunteering with Bezier so I'm sure you will meet her before the vendor hall opens

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Starbucks cups can save your life.  Is that my 3rd White Russian or ten hour old coffee?  Who can tell?

Deimir

As is to be expected, PAX Prime tickets sold out in record time again. Got myself set up with a hotel, glad I'm working with you guys because I totally missed the window this year.

itsshortstuff
Playtester

definitely. we are so happy that you guys allow us to volunteer =D we've been waiting to book a hotel, we figured whenever badges went on sale would be a good time. we checked out the pax deals they were offering..... waaaaay over our limit haha. we were lucky to find a hostel in seattle pretty close to the convention center for under 100 a night =D

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think the Green Tortoise is a great place to stay for PAX, if that's the hostel you're referring to. Of course, you have to be willing to stay in a hostel, which some folks aren't, but that's their loss. cool

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

I think the Green Tortoise is a great place to stay for PAX, if that's the hostel you're referring to. Of course, you have to be willing to stay in a hostel, which some folks aren't, but that's their loss. cool

Seconded

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

morph147

if you are still looking for volunteers. I probably can be there but only for a day. Cant afford a hotel room but can afford to drive in and drive out. Just tell me which day and I will see what I can do

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it