The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Flawless Victory

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:
I did no such thing. I didn't say ALL flawless victories were easy. I just said this one was. According to the rulebook, H is however many heroes you have, so -- having not seen that thread -- I wasn't breaking or changing anything.

Uh, I really don't want to get into the argument, but I did want to make sure you understood you are changing the rules, because the rulebook also states it's a 3-5 player game - so by definition, H is from 3 to 5. :-\

But I totally agree you should play it however you want! You'll just want to make sure you're relating it appropriately to others when you do. :)

(We never play 2 hero because we can play 2-player, 4-hero games, with each of us controlling 2 heroes. It's a lot more fun, in our opinion! 8) )

Rabit

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I still want to try to play one on one rival matches, where H = 1 (which causes H - 2 to equal 0, and H - 1 to equal 1, due to the nemisis bonus).  If you say the crazy reduced attacking makes it too easy, I'll say only one hero being able to attack brings back the challenge.  I'll have to actually try first though.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I'm looking at the box, and it specifically says "2-5 players." And that's Rook City.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:
I'm looking at the box, and it specifically says "2-5 players." And that's Rook City.

Somewhere in the rules (probably near the end) it states that, when playing with two players, you still play 3 or 4 heroes, where a player or both play two heroes.  Game hasn't been designed for two heroes in a game.  But nothing is stopping you from doing that (in fact, it's a challenge in the core set challenges).

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ah. Well, I didn't see that bit.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Got it today.  I played Warlord Voss in the Realm of Discord with Argent Adept, Young Legacy, Haka, and Ra.  Due to the initial selection of baddies, Argent Adept got hit early and then I kept flipping baddies that targeted the lowest or all targets.  However, Haka got a first turn Taiaha and a second turn Savage Mana, so fairly quickly, he cleaned the board, and he started stacking baddies under Savage Mana.  Unfortunately, a clean board meant that Voss started pounding on Argent Adept even harder.  He was actually down to 7 at one point.  Thanks to Haka, the first Forced Deployment only brought back 4 minions, and the second only brought back 2.  I actually went through both battleships too.  In the end, what enabled me to win was a particular environment card that aids in healing (sorry I can't say more); Argent Adept got a really good set of cards out that allowed him to heal some (don't think I'm sharing anything Christopher hasn't already revealed in saying that), and Young Legacy helped out with Motivational Charge.  Haka healed himself to full twice and with the help of Ta Moko stayed there.

The reason I feel really good about this one is that I didn't use any special combos or "locks".  I just trudged on, and given that one of my heroes was down to 7, it wasn't a given that I was even going to have everyone live, much less finish with full hp.

P.S. I'll probably come back and edit this post once I can reveal the cards that were instrumental (pun intended).

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

Somewhere in the rules (probably near the end) it states that, when playing with two players, you still play 3 or 4 heroes, where a player or both play two heroes.  Game hasn't been designed for two heroes in a game.  But nothing is stopping you from doing that (in fact, it's a challenge in the core set challenges).

On the contrary, I just read through the entire thing word-for-word. The only mention of the (H) modifier is on page 1, and it says this: "It always equals the number of heroes in the current game you are playing. Thus, in a game with 3 heroes, it equals 3. In a game with 4 heroes, it equals 4. In a five hero game, it equals 5."

Nowhere does it say that it HAS to be 3, 4, or 5. In fact, every thing it says directly contradicts that. It only mentions 3, 4, and 5 player games, but it doesn't say it HAS to be that. They are listed as examples. If you are in the situation that you are playing with 2 or 6 heroes, it is only logical to conclude that it would equal 2 or 6, because of the very specific and all-inclusive line "It ALWAYS equals the number of heroes involved in the current game."

-- Trajector

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:
Nowhere does it say that it HAS to be 3, 4, or 5. In fact, every thing it says directly contradicts that. It only mentions 3, 4, and 5 player games, but it doesn't say it HAS to be that. They are listed as examples. If you are in the situation that you are playing with 2 or 6 heroes, it is only logical to conclude that it would equal 2 or 6, because of the very specific and all-inclusive line "It ALWAYS equals the number of heroes involved in the current game."

But 2 or 6 heroes is not supported, in fact the rules say 3, 4 or 5 heroes.

Page 10 of the base rules
"The game is optimized for four players, but three or five player teams make relatively little difference in game difficulty. Two experienced players can play a two player version of the game if one or both of them play as two heroes each."

If you are bending one rule, why do you expect the other rules not to bear the additional weight (and possibly break)?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Some of the villains can't really support more than 5 heroes without being broken.  The two examples I can think of are Plague Rat and GloomWeaver.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

A friend and I played The Ennead with Ra and Visionary last night.  The H mechanic really doesn't work the way it is supposed to unless you're playing with three to five.  Two heroes make most any H mechanic insignificant, or downright useless.

We still played it with an H of two because we wanted to whomp some baddies.  Did we think it would count as a two man victory?  Goodness no!  Regardless, good times were had.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Reckless wrote:
good times were had.

And that is what matters! :D

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, like I said, I used (H) of 2, but for all of Matriarch's "H-2" effects I used H of 3. I pretty much just used H = 2 for Horrid Cacophony.

-- Trajector

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Nog, I think using H=2, but H-X = minimum of 1 is pretty reasonable.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

clarinetnerd
Playtester

I just got a CLASSIC flawless victory, using nothing from any expansion!!!  I used Legacy, Visionary (barely used, in cocoon for most of the game), Haka, Wraith, and Tempest against Voss in Megalopolis.  It worked out great!!!  I just didn't do much until Savage Mana came out, then I just used Throat Jabs to hold off Voss's damage and healed up the team!!!  I am entirely too excited about this.  The game took forever, though, because I did it myself since I couldn't find anyone to play with me.  For some reason, there is no one in my area who likes games like this, so I only get to play while I'm away at school... 

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

clarinetnerd wrote:
I just got a CLASSIC flawless victory, using nothing from any expansion!!!  I used Legacy, Visionary (barely used, in cocoon for most of the game), Haka, Wraith, and Tempest against Voss in Megalopolis.  It worked out great!!!  I just didn't do much until Savage Mana came out, then I just used Throat Jabs to hold off Voss's damage and healed up the team!!!  I am entirely too excited about this.  The game took forever, though, because I did it myself since I couldn't find anyone to play with me.  For some reason, there is no one in my area who likes games like this, so I only get to play while I'm away at school...

What area?

And are you sure you have 1370 Sentinel Points, Not 1337?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

clarinetnerd
Playtester

I'm in Pittsburgh...  And the only story challenge I have left is the one with the pillars...  I haven't checked my adding.  I might be wrong about that!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:
And are you sure you have 1370 Sentinel Points, Not 1337?

Quote:
I'm in Pittsburgh...  And the only story challenge I have left is the one with the pillars...  I haven't checked my adding.  I might be wrong about that!

'Twasn't an arithmetic question! 1337 would be 'leet', you see. Sorry for my poor attempts at humor.

Hopefully someone else from Pittsburgh will see this and give a shout ...

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Pages