The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

First real OblivAeon game

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Mariner
The Mariner's picture
First real OblivAeon game

We lost.  We managed to get him to the last page, but with 9 devastation tokens already up and Voss waiting to take over, we realized that victory had eluded us.  He had the Borr/deal people damage shield at the start, and he kept dodging our attempts to ambush him.  I played Luminary and managed ti survive for most of the game with help from the Bloodstone and Cursor, including 2 doomsday uses.  And at the start, when he played the first wad of aeon men and threatened to take them, Fort Adamant helped us out in a way that brought joy to my heart- Char appeared, and Highbrow was aggressively volunteered, and together they managed to take out a good half dozen aeon men (including three Loci), thus saving the world, and this is forever canon in my heart.  But I still dropped the moon on ‘em.

robertmaxfreeman
robertmaxfreeman's picture

Good head-canon!

Yeah, Voss is the only Scion that "completely" ruins your day. You pretty much NEED to take him out before Oblivaeon goes down, and if there's more than a few tokens on the inevitable destruction card, it may just not be possible. I've played four games of Oblivaeon so far (overall 2 wins, 2 losses) and the only time we beat Voss after Oblivaeon fell is by self-healing enough to mitigate the damage he was doing, using Nightmist, Benchmark, and Tempest. 

If you don't have that sort of setup, I'd say it might actually be better to stall, let the inevitable destruction card empty, and dogpile on Voss while his defenses are down. Otherwise, you're probably done for.

The other win, we managed to control Oblivaeon's deck well, and honestly just ignored most of the Scions, instead focusing on Oblivaeon, Aeon Vassals, and Aeon Loci. Voss never came out.

"It's all chaos. Be kind."

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Voss coming out early is far better than Voss showing up right as you flip to phase 3. That is brutal, especially if you don’t have ways to lock the Oblivaeon deck down with either bird form reward, writhe, legacy, or Nightmist. 

My general strategy so far so far has been to just focus on scion control in phase 2 and have them all low enough that as soon as phase 3 hits (likely due to the countdown) that I can clear all scions instantly and not worry about anything but Oblivaeon. Not always possible depending on the devestation count, but certainly one that’s worked in some of my wins. 

Speaking of devestation tokens, ever tried 3 rounds In a row of Hypersonic Assult in phase 2? I did. It was really good until the token pile lost us the game haha. I don’t recommend that strat. It’s one of the few ways to easily clean out Borr before he goes boom boom though. 

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Well, I was leading the game and we had gone through a few player changes (one of the advantages of TTS is that it’s easy to swap player mid-game, but with OblivAon being so new it was a headache anyway), so I was playing two people and resolving the villain and environment turns.  Act 1 was tough, because he lept slipping through our fingers.  Act 2 was a little better, with the Knight getting an OblivAeon shard and some clever pre-incap picking.  We had a shot at the start of Act 3, which occurred along with a devastation that wiped us, but immediately after Young Legacy entered play and dropped an Interception, OblivAeon insta’d her.  And then we reallzed that victory was an illusion.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

We played a game last weekend, and we got Oblivaeon to his third phase but we knew we were gonna lose when the countdown was at one, Oblivaeon still had 75hp left, there were no spare environments...and then Voss came out. We didn't even manage to touch him before Oblivaeon's next turn came around, countdown hit zero, boom, last environment destroyed. Whups.

I think each of us (three players)got through between five and seven heroes each, or thereabouts - Oblivaeon really put in a lot of work with that card that insta-kills the lowest hp hero :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)