The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

First game vs Oblivaeon. Ouch.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony
First game vs Oblivaeon. Ouch.

So me and a buddy sat down last night to try and take on Oblivaeon. 

A lot of things at the start really just conspired to keep us down. We even hit the second phase before we got the shield to phase 2. The shield needed 3 cards in the environment trash and Court of Blood/ Freedom tower were not cooperating. By the time Oblivaeon flipped to page 2, we still had the green shield at phase 1, a second environment about to be destroyed through tokens, 3 scions dead with 4 others in zone 2 and one in zone 1. We decided to call it there honestly because tracking that many scions and aeon men and environments became too taxing as we were super behind. 

do people find the green shield to be really hard? We had no enviro destruction handy to aid us and both environments we had didn’t aid us over the course of 5-6 rounds we got through. 

The mission cards were a clear clear highlight of the game. Each one we got and went through felt really good gameplay wise. I picked up Curser early on who was so clutch, and my buddy was setup for long term success with items like the bloodstone and Infinitors sacrifice. They were a ton of fun!

after setting it up once and seeing how the game flows I think I can totally run a game faster and more efficiently next time. But I guess we made the mistake of beating on the scions on page 1 where they just get replaced by a fresh face on death, which probably didn’t help us as the likes of Voss and Progeny were far worse to deal with than our initial draw of DarkMind and Nixious. 

Ill be running another game tomorrow. Hopefully things go much smoother and that we won’t get swamped with 4-6 scions in play at the same time.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Hey Foote, just as a warning, you posted a big spoiler there without any tag for it.

robertmaxfreeman
robertmaxfreeman's picture

Yup. Edit that.

Oblivaeon is designed to ruin your day. Any card of his that doesn't, generally would have if you were playing a different team, or were in a different situation. 

I've played twice so far. We technically lost the first time, since about 2/3 of the way through we realized we were doing several rules wrong, and should have had an even more difficult time.

The second time we BARELY won. As difficult as Oblivaeon is, it's significantly harder if "The 90 HP" Scion comes into play, late game. Without giving much away, if he flips, your team is in BIG trouble.

Standout performers in Oblivaeon so far: 

The usual- if they were top tier characters before, they're still great now.

Setback (basic)- being able to get a new hero after he's incapacitated means you can afford to take more risks, and can actually pull off some impressive moves, as long as you fill up his unlucky pool as full as possible.

Idealist (Super Saiyan)- I underestimated her at first, but once she gets her cards out there (and hopefully the mission rewards designed for her), she can really carry your team.

Mainstay- WOW. Potentially top tier, in any Sentinels game.

Nightmist/Benchmark/other tanks and healers- healing on a large scale is a great thing. We wouldn't have won the second game (Voss flipped) if Nightmist, Benchmark, and Tempest weren't so good at midigating/healing damage. And MVP was definitely Nightmist.

Equipment/Ongoing based characters- there actually isn't much in Oblivaeon games that target ongoing cards (aside from one Scion), and there's virtually nothing targeting equipment. It gives the characters that need more 'setup' some breathing room, and time to shine.

However, one character that loses big is Captain Cosmic, besides his Requittal version, which is still good. There's no other way to keep his constructs alive. It's also a good idea to have him be 1st player, when playing him, just to make sure the other players get some use out of the constructs, before they blow up.

"It's all chaos. Be kind."

Blackfang108
Playtester

We've got 2 people who have that particular spoiler unmasked.

carnilius
Playtester

To be fair, do you really expect to avoid spoilers in any thread about OblivAeon games?

saykhia
saykhia's picture

robertmaxfreeman wrote:

Idealist (Super Saiyan)- I underestimated her at first, but once she gets her cards out there (and hopefully the mission rewards designed for her), she can really carry your team.

WOW. 1, 2, 3, God, or Blue?

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

carnilius wrote:

To be fair, do you really expect to avoid spoilers in any thread about OblivAeon games?

Yeah post Gencon and backers receiving rewards I think the word is out on the final Scion.   

robertmaxfreeman
robertmaxfreeman's picture

I wasn't aware that was even considered a spoiler, I've seen it everywhere. I thought you meant something else said in the original post, the 'sacrifice' part. Sorry.

saykhia wrote:

robertmaxfreeman wrote:

WOW. 1, 2, 3, God, or Blue?

It was the Voltron reward, which granted her the power to inflict 1 of each type of damage to multiple targets. Combined with damage boosting effects, it wrecked everything.

"It's all chaos. Be kind."

Blackfang108
Playtester

Nilus wrote:

carnilius wrote:

Yeah post Gencon and backers receiving rewards I think the word is out on the final Scion.   

Not everyone has had it delivered, and we have a thread called "Post Oblivaeon Spoilers Here Only"

So yeah, it's still a spoiler.