The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Firefly: The Game

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
HotHeart
HotHeart's picture
Firefly: The Game

Maybe I'm not looking properly, but I found no topic for this, which just seems a mite odd since I'm sure there must be fans on here and among GTG themselves.

I don't think it's the most amazing game ever, but as a fan of the licence, I think there's a lot to like, both thematically and mechanically. For starters, I haven't really played a pick-up-and-deliver game before, and I've heard people saying it bears similarity to Merchant of Venus (and soon Merchants & Marauders by the sounds of the next expansion), so it fills a niche for me and makes for a decent leisurely game.

The basic premise is that you take on the role of a captain or 'Leader' from a possible 7 (Mal, Nandi, Burgess, Monty, etc.) and take on jobs from various contacts (Badger, Patience, Niska) which might involve regular transportation or smuggling or even bank heists. Obviously, the higher paying jobs carry more risk in terms of 'random events' thrown out by Misbehave cards, which could include skill tests among other things, so you'll generally want more crew and gear to see you through. However, you'll be balancing crew limits and costs against their usefulness along with all the other things that may trouble a captain in the 'Verse; from potential ship breakdowns, avoiding an alliance cruiser while smuggling or the reaver cutter while out in border space right through to managing your cargo space for fuel, spare parts and job-related cargo/contraband/passengers and fugitives.

To keep things simple, you're limited to two actions a turn (of a possible four options: Fly, Buy, Deal, Work), so you can keep track of the moment-to-moment stuff while also keeping an eye on the prize when it comes to the main story goals. It also means you'll want to make the most of every turn where possible, as other players could start getting ahead if you're spending too much time travelling or shopping for supplies rather than completing jobs.

In terms of the downsides, games can take a while, as setup involves 13 decks of cards, with most of them having discard piles right away (shops with supplies already revealed, for example), plus there will probably be a lot of mistakes made by new players unprepared for some of the game's thematically-appropriate misfortunes, which can set them back and lengthen the game somewhat. General consensus is that new players should expect gametime to work out around an hour per player (though, in my experience it's roughly 45 mins - 1 hour less than that total). There are also bound to be a few rule inconsistencies or misinterpretations unless you've read the online FAQ. Most shouldn't be game-breaking, but when things seem so well balanced (all games I've played have been very close), and because players are trying to make the most of those two actions per turn, a minor upset here or there can significantly alter that player's tactics/options and found to be quite critical come game-end. There's also no real direct player interaction beyond setting the Alliance or Reavers on other players when you get the chance, or managing to swoop in and hire away disgruntled crew members; so it may not be as action-packed as some people like (until the Pirates & Bounty Hunters expansion maybe).

Also, the money was designed by the prop artist who did Serenity's and is real purdy. cheeky

Mini-review aside though. I really like it for blending the theme and mechanics so well that it feels wholly natural and logical, and now I've gotten my head round the game's mini and meta strategy stuff, there's a lot to appreciate. And because the characters and gear have all sorts of different attributes, along with some of the game's smaller systems (selling salvage as well as working jobs) and a variety of overall game scenarios with different goals, it allows for a variety or playstyles and, therefore, a lot of replayability. Though, I guess I could still understand claims that some people find it 'repetitive' if you strip away the theme and don't consider the 'bigger picture' in terms of strategy.

And I'm looking forward to what the future brings as well, because the game feels very sandbox-y so players are tweaking rules or creating variants, and the designers themselves say they have 8 expansions planned. I guess a cynical person might not appreciate something like that, but it'll be interesting to see what directions it takes the game. I can already see that Jubal Early will be making an appearance, hunting down people's wanted crew, or you can be pirates and raid other ships. I'm not sure how the licensing works, but it seems like some Serenity stuff could be included (they've already got the Misbehave stuff, Fruity Oaty Bar faces as disgruntled tokens, among other things) so that would be interesting.

p.s. I didn't come here to plug anything, but if anyone is interested in a full review, I have one here, with pictures and everything!: http://pressxordie.com/2014/01/13/roll-6-or-die-review-firefly-the-game/

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Cool, I really want that game.  Good thing My Birthday is in two weeks.  Good to know it doesn't get too strategy intensive or too "roll your dice move your mice."

Thanks for the review.

HotHeart
HotHeart's picture

Hey, you're welcome. Thanks for reading. smiley

Though I will just add that I played a game with four friends last night and that did take around 5 hours, even with mostly experienced players, most likely because we randomly picked out the toughest story card (Niska's Holiday). It didn't help that we couldn't start playing until 8pm, and then others needed to eat inbetween, which meant the guy who meant we started late got really tetchy when things weren't going his way and he fell really behind.

It was partly his own fault because he wasn't anywhere near prepared enough both for the first goal (which can keep killing 2 of your people if you fail the skill test even after passing 3 Misbehaves) or in getting hold of a pilot and a mechanic so he could Crazy Ivan away from the Reavers, but it didn't help that the other players did harrass him with those Reavers, and losing crew can really set you back. I mean, I delayed from attempting the goal in order to really bolster my crew for that last skill test. The only thing keeping him in it was a medic and a medbay, to roll (and then reroll) to save crew from death. Though he did get very unlucky with the Reaver and Alliance Misbehaves cropping up after reshuffles (first is based on Ariel, second is based on the first bit of Serenity; both unpassable without River) and some die rolls.

I would probably recommend that you show new players the Misbehave deck before playing so they get an idea of what sort of things can pop up, give them an overview of what the different supply planets offer, and show them the tips on the back of the rulebook (or explain how a pilot and mechanic help against Reavers and Cry Babies work against the Alliance).

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

Played this for the first time the other day.  I was suprised I enjoyed it as much as I did.  I usually don't go for that type of game and I'm not a huge fan of the source material, but this was a lot of fun.  I started out not doing so well, but then a few turns later I had completed a couple missions and was in the lead heading for victory.  Then my brother in law moved the alliance ship in my way and gave someone else time to get their stuff together and win.

We just played the first scenario so the game wasn't super long, but after looking at some of the others I can see where it could drag on.  As fun as it was, I can't see buying a copy if you already know someone who has it.  It's not something that will get played all the time.  Also I've got to say, the paper money is awesome.  Could easily pass as real currency from somewhere.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sorry I missed this thread first time 'round. 

I went to your review and from there found the links to the FAQ and the first-time, multi-player story to use. Appreciate it.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

HotHeart
HotHeart's picture

arenson9 wrote:

Sorry I missed this thread first time 'round. I went to your review and from there found the links to the FAQ and the first-time, multi-player story to use. Appreciate it.

Hey, no worries, and you're very welcome!