The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Few questions on easiest villain and difference between expansions

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
WOWFlipTV
Few questions on easiest villain and difference between expansions

I am new to this game and have some questions I want to ask.

1st question what villain and environment are the easiest to beat. Also which are hard. I got a collection on ebay for Christmas so have like a full box fill of cards so just tell me which one are easy and hard and I'll see if I have them. 

2nd question is what the difference between mini expansions and reqular expansion. Also should I get the expansions in order or does it not matter. 

Thanks for the help,

WOWFlipTV

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Villain and environment are subjects of debate. I prefer teaching using Baron Blade and Insula Primalis.

A mini-expansion is one deck, either hero, villain or environment. Regular expansions average about 2 villains, 2 environments and 2 heroes.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

1. Welcome to the forums!

2. The easier villians are either Baron Blade or Amubscade. Actually, if you flip through the rules insert it lists each villian and hero by complexity or difficulty. Blade is a 1, Ambuscade is a 2 (although he's really not that threatening). It depends on which sets you have, though by "collection" I assume you have them all?

As for environment, I enjoy Time Cataclysm, Tomb of Anubis, Realm of Discord, Insula Primalis and Silver Gulch. They're pretty straightforward.

3. A mini expansion only contains one particular hero/villian/environment. These are decks that are sold separately because they were add-ons to the kickstarters and pre-orders, separate from the expansions. As for order, it makes no difference. Although that's what I did.

The Enhanced Edition gives you the basic stuff and nearly all of the decks are easy to get a hang of. Rook City and Infernal Relics was next, since it's a combination of two expansions. Lots of cards here. Vengeance and Shattered Timelines can go either way. There are now 9 mini-expansions, so those are easy enough to snag whenever you want, depending on how much you want to spend.

Good luck!

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome to the forums!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

WOWFlipTV wrote:

I am new to this game and have some questions I want to ask.1st question what villain and environment are the easiest to beat. Also which are hard. I got a collection on ebay for Christmas so have like a full box fill of cards so just tell me which one are easy and hard and I'll see if I have them. 2nd question is what the difference between mini expansions and reqular expansion. Also should I get the expansions in order or does it not matter. Thanks for the help,WOWFlipTV

Easiest: Ambuscade/Gloomweaver

Hardest: Chairman/Matriarch

You got just a random assortment of decks?

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

Try Baron Blade first on Insula Primalis is my recommendation for your first game, a mini expansion only has 1 deck while a regular expansion has 2 heroes, 2 environments, and 4 villains, so 8 decks in total, welcome to the forums!

"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

WOWFlipTV wrote:

I am new to this game and have some questions I want to ask.1st question what villain and environment are the easiest to beat. Also which are hard. I got a collection on ebay for Christmas so have like a full box fill of cards so just tell me which one are easy and hard and I'll see if I have them. 

Baron Blade in Insula Primalis is my usual tutorial game.  If you want the other end of the scale go with The Chairman or Iron Legacy in Rook City.  Although with the exceptions of Rook City and Mobile Defense Platform the environments don't really favor attacking heroes or villains (supposidly, it feels the exact opposite is true once the game starts)

If you only have the base set then the harder villains are Citizen Dawn and Baron Blade, also all the instructions manuals have a page detailing the villain difficulty and hero complexity at a glance.

WOWFlipTV wrote:

2nd question is what the difference between mini expansions and reqular expansion. Also should I get the expansions in order or does it not matter. Thanks for the help,WOWFlipTV

A mini expansion is a single deck, a regular expansion contains 2 heroes, 4 villains and 2 environments although Rook City and Infernal Relics are currently only sold as a single box, currently the only mega expansion contains 5 heroes, 5 vengance villains (a game mechanic where you fight multiple villains each with their own deck) and 2 environments.

As for getting the expansions in order, it doesn't really matter although I do recomend you pick up the Rook City/Infernal Relics box due to the fact it offers a great range of heroes, villains and environments to spice up your games.

WOWFlipTV

I got most of the decks but not all of them got some  mini expansion and I think I missing like one or 2 regular expansion not including the new one. 

Also just found the list of decks in the collection that the guy made. So here is what I got.

Villains:
  • Baron Blade, 
  • Citizen Dawn
  • Grand Warlord Voss
  • Omnitron
  • The Dreamer
  • La Capitan
  • Iron Legacy
  • Kismet
  • The Chairman
  • Spite
  • The Matriach
  • Plague Rat
  • Akash'Bhuta
  • The Ennead
  • GloomWeaver
  • Apostate
  • Miss Information
  • Ambuscade
    Environment:
  • Silver Gulch, 1883
  • The Final Wasteland
  • The Tomb of Anubis
  • Realm of Discord
  • Rook City
  • Pike Industrial
  • Time Cataclysm
  • The Block
  • Megalopis
  • Wagner Mars Base
  • Ruins of Atlantis
  • Insula Primalis
    Heroes:
  • The Argent Adept
  • Mr. Fixer
  • NightMist
  • Expatriette
  • Unity
  • Absolute Zero
  • Bunker
  • Fanatic
  • Haka
  • Legacy
  • Ra
  • Tachyon
  • Tempest
  • The Visionary
  • The Wraith
  • Omnitron-X
  • Chrono-Ranger
  • The Scholar

Also thanks for the help 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You've been given the core game, Rook City, Infernal Relics, and Shattered Timelines, plus the first six mini-expansions.

You are missing Vengeance, Wrath of the Cosmos, and the last three mini-expansions.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Specifically, the mini-expansions you are missing are the hero Guise, the villian Wager Master, and the environment Omnitron IV.  (All of which are brand new)

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

WOWFlipTV

Thanks for letting me know what I am missing. 

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I need to cast Summon Moderator again!

For future posts, could you please make a descriptive title so anyone who is looking for answers to the same questions can find it easily? "Few questions" doesn't tell anyone what the thread's about.

And welcome! :)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

First few game recomendations:

Baron Blade - Insula Primalis.  Nothing overly complex, more thematic than hard, but you will still lose if the cards fall wrong.

Ambuscade - Megalopolis.  Not much harder, but the environment is totally different, and you will get a good feel for the different ways the game works between the 2 fights.

As for Heroes try out Wraith pretty early on, and try Haka early as well, they also give a varied feel and will help you learn how different effects work.

If those two games feel easy break out Citizen Dawn or Matriatch, and feel the pain.

Note that difficulty in this game is an average of fights.  Sometimes the heroes walk into the worst situation imaginable and are lucky to make it out alive.  (some of the easiest villains can feel anything but easy if they get the right cards at the right time.)

WOWFlipTV

Thanks for the help and sorry about the title. I thought about that right after I posted it. So thanks again for the help everyone.