The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Extra Credits on Playtesting.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cervie77
Playtester
Extra Credits on Playtesting.

The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: boron.
--Brother Silence, Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Great stuff!  8)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

That is really accurate and helpful!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Cool. One minor note -- I suggest using a scale that goes to 9, not 10. That way respondents have a mid point (and mid, mid points (and mid, mid, mid points)).

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

Actually, I'd vote for a 10-point scale for that same reason. (Not that I really get a vote.) If you give people a middle point, they're likely to choose it unusually often, which'll mess with your data. Force people to pick between slightly-above and slightly-below the middle.

Grinnell College 2016

Cervie77
Playtester

I'm really glad to see the Extra Credits video was helpful, even though it was about video games. They really do seem to know their stuff.

Paul, would it be cool if I shared a few more of their videos if I moved on over to the off-topic forum?

The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: boron.
--Brother Silence, Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I shared a video of a guy making dubstep noises with his mouth.

So, basically, yes.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

awmiller
awmiller's picture

I absolutely love this series! They do focus primarily on video games, but their topics have applications in really any game or form of media. Their episode on pacing is amazingly helpful and accurate when it comes to creating enjoyable experiences for your fans.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

SlenderTroll wrote:
Actually, I'd vote for a 10-point scale for that same reason. (Not that I really get a vote.) If you give people a middle point, they're likely to choose it unusually often, which'll mess with your data. Force people to pick between slightly-above and slightly-below the middle.

Yeah, we have experienced that at work - for all surveys, we ensure there is no mid-point because it is more likely to result in accurate responses.

Rabit

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)