The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Everyone's Thoughts on the Variants?

162 posts / 0 new
Last post
Whovian

I want to agree, as that makes sense, but this hasn't lined up with my experience. My guess is I'm reluctant to play any of FV's damaging one-shots before he gets a full setup out to get as much use as I can out of them by using them to boost Thermal Shockwave or Coolant Blast, while I'm happy playing them on TN before then if Violent Shivers is active.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The self damage to search and place any Ongoing in play from his deck helps with getting to those modules if you don’t start with one.  Depending upon the villain it can help immediately reduce damage all heroes take by getting Sub Zero Atmosphere out round one for sure.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

At least one place XPW Tempest is useful is against Citizen Dawn.  Since most of her citizens do their nasty things at the end of the villain turn, he can turn off their effects without sending them to the trash and causing her to flip.  This is admittedly a niche use, since most of the time you're probably better off just killing the target to get rid of it's effect, but his power can also be helpful if you just don't have enough damage to accomplish that in a round.

I actually feel like FV Bunker's power thematically suits him really well.  Tyler Vance is a tactician.  By revealing his teammates cards and then deciding which one to play, he's assessing what his teammates are able to do and then having them execute the best course of action.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

XPW Tempest can nullify the extra card play from La Paradora Magnifca against La Capitan and allows you to focus on crew members.  Against the Dreamer it means Tempest can use his base power without worrying about damaging the Dreamer. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Basically if the target has no DR and has an end of turn effect that you don't want happening, XPW Tempest is pretty useful.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Whovian wrote:
Dark Conductor/Kvothe AA: Given my praise of PW AA, this is a bit paradoxical, but his power just doesn't feel right.
He's a good choice when you have another hero you desperately want to set up very, very quickly.  You sacrifice AA's own setup, though, which makes it an odd choice--sort of a compromise between PW AA and, say, Omnitron-X.  He's unfocused, but he's a good choice in the video game or if you're equally happy to set up someone else as yourself.

Whovian wrote:
PW Haka: I often find that he burns through his hand and doesn't have anything to do.

I love PW Haka!  He has so much card draw that I rarely have this problem.  And the versatility of using Haka cards on other targets--not just heroes--is easy to miss.  Shield or Restore the Dreamer (especially in Challenge Mode), boost the damage of a hero with a damage rider (like Hypersonic Assault), or just make sure the team's tank has the highest HP despite an "oops" moment.  And don't forget you can play a Haka card and discard just one card to cycle through your deck faster and get to that Taiaha or Mere.

Whovian wrote:
FV Bunker: While he is great, he doesn't really feel like a Bunker to me; his power seems aesthetically off.

I agree--it says something that the "best" Bunker is the least Bunker-like Bunker.  He's one of my least favorite heroes, and this variant makes him playable by just helping everyone else instead.  G.I is the only other version of Bunker I play, and only against the specific villains with massive damage reduction.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

carnilius
Playtester

Now I'm curious, could you use XPW Tempest with Imbued Vitality to stop Hero Ongoing end of turn effects, like Unflagging Animation or Gatling Gun?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

No, it only works on "A Non-Character Target".

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood.  That's a good question.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Blackfang108
Playtester

I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Iiiiiiinteresting idea!

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

In defense of Dark Watch Setback, he does keep Nightmist from hurting herself too badly.  Xtreme PW Haka and Legacy together are kinda broken.  And there’s something to be said for the consistency of original Naturalist.  But my favorite variant of all time?  Super Scientific Tachyon (of course)/

Pages