The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 82 of the Letters Page - Scions (spoiler discussion)

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Episode 82 of the Letters Page - Scions (spoiler discussion)

OblivAeon’s koopalings are coming after the world 

http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/episode-82-scions

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

...can't help but notice that someone's missing...

Powerhound_2000

I’m guessing the story is too intertwined to separate it from the OblivAeon episode 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

PlatinumWarlock

Is it sad that I kind of hope that's the cliffhanger between the next two episodes?  

PlatinumWarlock

Ohhh, that's some epic trolling right there...

Powerhound_2000

Christopher and Adam reading letters to you 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I got spoiled on who Redacted was... Well, I think when people started getting Oblivaeon. But also in the digital game: he's pictured on the back of F5 Legacy's non-foil incap art. It's weird that we got that early, when they're still using the redacted card art for Writhe in the livestreams.

What I didn't know was that Redacted was the helpful Scion. >.> All this time, I thought it was Faultless, and I don't know why.

Here's hoping I get my game soon. :(

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

This may be based on the fact that I haven't listened to the episode yet (still working through last week's) and haven't heard C+A's thoughts, but based on the game mechanics from OblivAeon alone, I would definitely not describe Redacted as the helpful Scion...

Also, why are we calling him Redacted when they've been spoiled in other locations, and the title literally has the word spoilers?

Powerhound_2000

I just avoided saying Voss for a few posts just in case.  Pretty much after we started getting Redacted I knew it had to be the helpful Scion.  When it was confirmed without a doubt it was Voss it made sense. 

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

Holly molly, Voss is waaaaay more powerful than I thought. Seems like he caused more damage to OblivAeon than all the Egyptian gods combined. I figured he was strong enough to fight multiple heroes by himself, but punching big-O in the face and breaking his nose* into multiple shards? That was unexpected. 

Anyways, great episode guys. I'm really excited for the OblivAeon episodes, specially sicne I'm in a cosmic-comics mood.

The Girl With N...

I can't access the episode at all... Stupid IOS podcast system.

This'll sound dumb, but are there good comedy bits in the episode? I think I like the episodes more when they joke about a bit, and I'm concerned the Scions are too serious. 

EDIT: Okay, I’m able to listen. Darn you, Powerhound, for stealing some of my questions! You thief of thoughts and trivia! Daaaaaarn yooooooooou!

Good episode, though. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

bobbertoriley wrote:

Also, why are we calling him Redacted when they've been spoiled in other locations, and the title literally has the word spoilers?

It seems polite.

Though this is definitely one of those threads the spoiler-averse should not frequent.

...So why am I here again? c.c

Powerhound_2000

The Girl With No Name wrote:

EDIT: Okay, I’m able to listen. Darn you, Powerhound, for stealing some of my questions! You thief of thoughts and trivia! Daaaaaarn yooooooooou!
Good episode, though. 

You’re welcome.   I think.....

Bigbywolfe

In my mind, big O didn't have shields up when approaching Voss. Perhaps Voss damaging him is even what inspired him to create the shields going into the final battle.

Powerhound_2000

It’s possible but I don’t think it’s that out of the question to think Voss is that powerful.   We don’t get a good feel of it from his deck since that’s more focused on his invasion force rather than what punishment Voss can deal out himself. 

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

TheBazaarClerk wrote:
Holly molly, Voss is waaaaay more powerful than I thought. Seems like he caused more damage to OblivAeon than all the Egyptian gods combined. I figured he was strong enough to fight multiple heroes by himself, but punching big-O in the face and breaking his nose* into multiple shards? That was unexpected. 

Yes and no?  It definitely surprised me to learn that Voss was the source of most of the shards (I had figured probably Faultless during the battle it lost to OblivAeon was the main source), but I don't necessarily think that means he's more powerful than the Egyptian gods combined.  When Ra/Anubis/Ennead attacked OblivAeon, they had to get through his shield, THAT was the hard part.  I'd have to re-listen to the episode, but I'm guessing that OblivAeon wasn't using the shield when he approached Voss, and I got the impression that Voss's offensive definitely took OblivAeon by surprise.

So yeah, Voss is still WAY more powerful than I thought, but he was attacking an (I think) un-sheilded and un-expecting OblivAeon.

PlatinumWarlock

We're also talking about a known powered individual, who led a black-ops division of the military before taking over that military force. An individual who survived exile on an arctic planet with minimal supplies and not only thrived, but subjugated an entire race of creatures and genetically modified them for lethality and compliance before using them to invade his home planet.

An individual who was feared throughout the galaxy for his ruthlessness amid tactical acumen, who conquered and destroyed world after world. An individual who, when banished to an entirely different plane of existence, still dominated the landscape and made his escape.

Voss is like the damned Napoleon of the cosmos, only more successful.
Just don't get caught in a land war on Earth in winter...

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

This particular fight described doesn't seem to leave much room for keen tactics or survival skills; his hand-to-hand skills were mostly what was relevant to breaking OblivAeon's nose. His strategy/tactics is more relevant to setting up the Missions to help out the heroes and usurp OblivAeon.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I don't think, had the battle been protracted, that Voss had any hope of defeating Oblivaeon. He was just ruthless, powerful and cunning enough to take the sucker by surprise and actually do some notable damage to him.

PlatinumWarlock

Agreed. A few lucky shots against an unwary foe that, if prepared, would have decimated Voss.

The Girl With N...

At the same time, I think it makes sense, since Voss is one of the most tactical villains in the multiverse. 

I mean, look at what he does when he steps onto the battlefield personally. He makes sure to attack the strongest hero to wear them down, and the weakest to make sure they don’t make a comeback and bite him in the rear. If there’s one hero left, he starts brutalising them just to make sure they can’t fight back.

The guy’s a monster in a fight. If anyone could take a chunk out of OblivAeon by themselves, it’s him. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

You have to admire his chutzpah, though. :)

I mean, there he is, stuck in a place where there is no place (don't even ask about time), and all of a sudden this dude shows up in the not-place-place, and he's all, "I can give you power lol", and Voss just thinks,

Yeah. I can take this chump.

What a trooper. :')

PlatinumWarlock

Oh, yeah.  The sheer cajones on Voss--'arrogance' was the term C&A threw around quite often, and rightly so--make it all pretty unfathomable.

Here's one of the extant forces in the universe, and Voss thinks he can punch it into submission.  It'd be unbelievable if Voss didn't actually believe that he was taht good at combat...

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Hey, what's the music they play between the Voss overview and questions?

Powerhound_2000

It’s his villain theme from the video game. 

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Must have been a snippet of the music I don't usually get to...I recognized his music underscoring all the Redacted = Voss letters, but not the little interlude between overview and questions.

Powerhound_2000

Ok I understand which section you are talking about that was from the Dok’Thorath environment. 

Hankroyd

I love how REDACTED (Well, Scion Voss) was showed for years in the Wagner Mars Base deck ... Best troll ever ! :)

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

One of the questions I asked but wasn't answered: the picture on Villainous Weaponry is just Scion Voss.  There's nothing else in the picture.  So what is the eponymous "villainous weaponry" that Voss finds on the base?

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

I’m guessing that’s more important to the OblivAeon story arc

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

I'm guessing it was a red-herring, make us think that Voss' new visual was some kind of equipment stolen from Wagner's armory. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Probably a good Letters Page question to submit... 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Well, I certainly did!

Though mine was geared more towards "why the heck would the humans have a SCION-level level cache of weaponry, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!"