The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 157 of the Letters Page: Creative Process: Fanatic supporting cast

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Episode 157 of the Letters Page: Creative Process: Fanatic supporting cast

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Trevor with all the cheeky Writers' Room musical stings. :3

Okay, so the whole story about Archie made me feel like I'd been following comics for thirty years and finally got a major emotional payoff. ;_; The crying month indeed. I have to imagine Fanatic's books were actually pretty good to follow. Don't know why I would have thought otherwise (religions of the world aside).

It's really bittersweet, as they said, seeing C&A interact on this bimonthly schedule. :B Always great to hear them back again, though. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that?

Definitely going to be spending the rest of the day looking back through Letters Page posts and seeing how I reacted to each episode so I can compile a top ten list. <.<

liarliar
liarliar's picture

I really enjoyed myself with this episode! I feel like Fanatic is one of the least ‘normal life’-y of the heroes - Haka teaches kids, Tachyon’s a scientist, Ra probably stops burning stuff sometimes to do some archaeology, but Fanatic gives off a vibe of All Smiting All The Time. It’s nice to explore other sides to her personality!

The Haunted Fanatic story about her ghostly offsider was excellent, and I like the concept it introduced of the ghost, uh, unlife-cycle. Sort of similar to the one presented in Bleach, but with more room for non-violent resolutions. And I would love to read the story, watching Stevie be overcome more and more by her dark side, it sounds very tense.

I also liked Sea Envy’s letter/full plot concept, and I’d love to read the full thing! It sounds like it could tackle very interesting concepts of belief, reclaiming yourself and your heritage from oppression, and also get some conflict with the more radical side of the freedom fighters. They might not be entirely down with the idea of submitting their will to a perfect, untouchable higher power!

I might have to end up writing that. Once I get through some of my current WIPs, maybe.

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

I did not get into it but i also considered that the Thorathian cultural focus on duality could be drawn to the Heaven/Hell and God/Devil duality.
A rebellious youth fighting against dualistic tradition could be interested in the theological, mathematical puzzle of the holy Trinity. (For some reason i thought of the story about St. Patrick and the clover)

I also had hoped they would come up with some story like they did with the atheist theology professor

and for reference the other ideas i had had were a nun from the convent and an atheist, but my first instinct was not the cool professor but a charity worker type doing good "just because" not based on divine mandate. (there is a whole thing about a priest explaining why God made atheists)

Edit Liar Liar if you want to write a story based on my plot seed you have my blessings

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Well your reminder about the Thorathian fascination with duality caught my interest and now I’m inventing deities and myths, so I’ll let you know how that goes :P

liarliar
liarliar's picture

So far I’ve written and posted the first half of the story - with luck and a fair wind, the conclusion should be ready next week. I hope you like it so far! https://archiveofourown.org/works/27005608/chapters/65923075