The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Episode 109 of the Letters Page: Developmental Hell

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Episode 109 of the Letters Page: Developmental Hell

Who thought these stories were good ideas?

http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/episode-109-development-hell

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

So, which comic writer to write OblivAeon?  Jonathan Hickman.  He can absolutely do cosmic stuff, really 'groks' multiversal theory (see also Council of Reeds), and has a great mind for the build-up needed for an event comic.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I mean, let's face it, Hickman's whole Secret Wars and Battleworld bit practically was Marvel's version of OblivAeon and Prime War.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Jeysie wrote:

I mean, let's face it, Hickman's whole Secret Wars and Battleworld bit practically was Marvel's version of OblivAeon and Prime War.

I don't disagree one iota.  

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It was great listening to C&A geek out over comics. :D I'm definitely not of the "comic book world" they spoke of. Much as I love superheroes, the characters of comic books have always been cartoons and movies to me.

The Metaverse fans may not have liked it, but I totally want a Powered Wraith promo.

You want unhinged? Citizen Hammer x Miss Information 4eva

And I'm not sure what idea I like more: Old, Clint Eastwood-style Chrono-Ranger, or zero temporal shenanigans and what I'm going to term "La Cougadora". :V

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

It was great listening to C&A geek out over comics. :D I'm definitely not of the "comic book world" they spoke of. Much as I love superheroes, the characters of comic books have always been cartoons and movies to me.

I still love superhero movies (but then again, I like a lot of different types of movies), but my "comic book" days in particular are well behind me at this point. Like, I'm only a couple of years older than C&A and have surmised that I read a lot of the same comics they did growing up, but I just haven't had the time/energy to keep up with monthly issue comics (or collected trades of same) in over a decade at this point. I know a lot about certain comics properties from the '90s and have a decent knowledge of the history of comics prior to that (either just through curiosity and looking stuff up or by actually reading them back in the day, like my dad's old collection), but my knowledge of specific story arcs pretty much dies out after the Onslaught/Heroes Reborn story in Marvel if I'm being totally honest (although I read bits and pieces over the following decade - like, I know when/how Colossus "died" and how he returned because I read those stories, but I only know about him being the Juggernaut by hearsay and/or stuff like his Wikipedia article).

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

My only real experience reading comics is occasionally picking one up at a grocery store while waiting for my parents. I'd look at X-Men, Ghost Rider and Archie Sonic the Hedgehog, of all things. But with there being no guarantee I'd be able to see two issues back-to-back, I never really paid attention to them, basically just looked at the pictures.

Years later, I've tried keeping up with the MLP comics from IDW, but even that only lasted about 50 issues before I fell out of it for no reason. :/

liarliar
liarliar's picture

I don’t know who I’d want writing OblivAeon...but for a Daybreak comic, I’m torn between Greg Weisman (just finished rewatching Young Justice season 2 last night) and Ryan North (because his work on Squirrel Girl is absolutely phenomenal. Honestly I don’t read that many superhero comics right now, but I would recommend that one to anyone). Those would be totally different versions of the team, but either one would be so much fun.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

liarliar wrote:

I don’t know who I’d want writing OblivAeon...but for a Daybreak comic, I’m torn between Greg Weisman (just finished rewatching Young Justice season 2 last night)

I'm going to do this again XD and say that Greg Weisman's Starbrand & Nightmask comic is a pretty good signal of what a Daybreak comic by him would read like.

I was basically an AV fan of superheroes up until Hickman's entire Secret Wars thing and the resulting ANAD lineup, all of which I was totally onboard for. Then they cancelled that direction I was enjoying in favor of returning back to the same-old except even worse, so I eventually fell off and went back to watching just superhero cartoons and movies again. :/

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Girl With N...

Just jumping in with some comics trivia!

The Expatriette comic they mentioned as having to be pulled because of Columbine is almost definitely an allusion to ‘Shoot’, an issue of the DC book Hellblazer written by Warren Ellis. It was about a psychologist analysing school shootings who noticed John Constantine in the security tapes for one. It was supposed to appear in Hellblazer #141, but about three weeks before it was due to be published, Columbine happened. I think it later got released as a standalone book.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_(Hellblazer)

Blackfang108
Playtester

Two people who want to watch the world burn?

Citizen Hammer and Becky Blast.